Weight Distibution Hitch adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I've noticed that when hooking up my Travel Trailer with the weight distribution hitch, a substantial difference in just one link of chain adjustment.  I usually attach the 3rd link of the chain.  With the 3rd link attached, the ride is smooth.  I've also attached to the fourth chain link.  In the fourth chain link connection, the ride is a bit choppy, not nearly as smooth.  In both positions, the trailer and truck are are pretty level.  I'm surprised that it makes that much difference in the ride.

I've also noticed that it seems easier to attach the left side of the equalizer hitch than the right.  I don't recall if I have always hooked up the right side first which might explain it. I'll try to remember to do the left first next time to see it it's the order that makes a difference.  Anyone have similar experience or thoughts on this?
Jake

Happens to me too.  Lateral slope of the pavement you are on, as in the crown of the typical road causes a vehicle to lean away from the crown.  In North America we all drive on the right so our trailers slope slightly to the right which offloadis the left spring bar a bit and onloads the right, downhill bar.

I'm kinda new to using a WD hitch.  Will adjusting my chains help or hurt the way my trailer pulls.  I am on the last link on the chains and the trailer looks to be level, but rides a little bumpy.  We just got a new Cherokee lite TT last Friday and took it out Friday and Saturday.  We love the trailer but I have a lot to learn. 

thanks

Adouty :)

adouty said:
I'm kinda new to using a WD hitch.? Will adjusting my chains help or hurt the way my trailer pulls.? I am on the last link on the chains and the trailer looks to be level, but rides a little bumpy.? ?We just got a new Cherokee lite TT last Friday and took it out Friday and Saturday.? We love the trailer but I have a lot to learn.? ?

Actually, the clue is not if the trailer is level, tho it should be.? ?What the WD springbars should do is restore the tow vehicle to level.? ?You set the bars so that the weight of the trailer is evenly distributed between the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle by raising the bars on the proper links of the chains.? ?The procedure is our library.? See it by clicking HERE.

And yes, proper adjustment of the bar tension will affect the ride of your trailer.  Tension set too light the tow vehicle will feel skittish.  Set too tight  and it will tend to plow in turns.

Duty,
When you say last link, is this the link at the equalizer bars, or the free end link?
Jake

Jake said:
Duty,
When you say last link, is this the link at the equalizer bars, or the free end link?
Jake

Shoot I missed that.  Setting on the last link or first is never right.  Either the hitch set up is misadjusted or the bars are the wrong strength.  In any case, he should go thru the procedure in the library.

Adouty,

Our rigs are very similar.  I use the 3rd chain link (counting the free end link as number 1) and get my best ride there.  If I go to link 4, I get a choppy ride.

Jake

On my hitch there is an adjustment bolt that sets the angle of the hiich relative to the coupler.  If the chains appear eithjer too long or too short you might need to change this angle.  The best thing is to download a copy of the instructions for the hitch or go back to dealer if you don't understand the procedure.  Extending the adjustment bolt will tend to puch the torsion bars down reducing the number of links.  The long a nd short of things is 3 or 4 links is about right AFTER you have determined the proper angle of the hitch.

Thanks Guys!  I had know idea how to do this and when I asked the dealer how to adjust it he said it was close enough.  I do have an adjustment bolt in my hitch and I will be setting the hitch up following the instructions on this forum.  I sure am glad there is a forum like this.  You guys are the best ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom