Forming musical groups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
As the newsletter editor for our local retired guys' club (approx 160 members), I get to take some (editorial) liberties. The last newsletter had this call:

Attention musicians and singers
Rumor has it that we have a number of musicians and singers in our branch who would like to get
together and make music. There has been some discussion about forming one or more ensembles. An example might be a folk group, comprised of guitar, banjo, fiddle and harmonica. Another might be a barbershop group. If there?s any interest, contact ...

Hopefully, we'll get some takers; I already talked with a few potential signups.

NOT a musician but greatly appreciate others talents.  Have never been in a cg where there was a jam but really hope to see one.  This would be a great thread to get people together and not be shy about their talents.

Looking for you....!

A couple of recent experiences convinced me that, without the right leadership and organization, this is not a good idea.

I was invited to join a newly-formed 'scratch' group comprised of ukes, banjo ukes, guitars, banjo, harmonica, washboard and jaw harp (aka Jew's harp). The leadership was poor at best, as was the selection of songs and printed lead sheets. Folks played in different keys, some weren't playing on the beat, some played from different versions of the lead sheets, and the "leader" would say "good job"  ???

While on a recent trip to the midwest, I played with a (smaller) uke group. Only slightly better leadership, no organization of music/lead sheets, and failure to play to the different skill levels of participants..

Theses experiences made me really appreciate our uke band Music Director. I've known him for many years, and long ago recognized his musical talents (playing various instruments and singing). I came to appreciate his leadership skills while attending concerts of the 85-voice mixed chorus he directs. Since bringing him into the uke band as our Music Director, I've come to appreciate his teaching skills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom