Jeep Modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Canfield said:
Good deal!  I did a write-up in ROF of my RH cage install.

I tried to find it in the ROF but wasn't able to locate the link.

Oscar Mike said:
I have ordered the Rock Hard 4x4 Sports Cage Kit as the first in my DIY installations for the TJ. I don't know how far I will be able to get with my build before Moab, prices for 4x4 stuff is over-the-top expensive... :eek:

That's a nice cage John and pretty easy to install.

My 2 cents on the KM2's. Very nice tire. My wife's Jeep has had then for about three years now with no failures. I did some sipping on them and what a difference. Traction improved greatly on wet rocks and normal driving in snow and ice. The sipping took about 1 hour for four tires.

Tires and wheels are a big part of the build. I've been looking at the Goodyear MT/R and the KM2 as both have similarly good ratings and reviews. Both are similarly priced, and both have low road-noise attributes for an All-Terrain tire. I also like the Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels (17"x9"), so at some point in the future I'll put the Vanco big brake kit on.

I should have my Sport's Cage upgrade kit in the next several days. I'm looking forward to actually doing something on the Jeep. March 3rd already, it's like 69 days till Moab...time is running short.

Just FWIW, you can buy a Vanco big brake kit for 15", 16", or 17" wheels here: http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Big-Brake-Kits-Very-Large-Brake-Kits_c85.htm

Thanks, I bookmarked the page, but it is going to be a while before I upgrade the brakes...For now I'll make certain that the terrain I am driving is conducive to stock brakes. Most of the trails around here I'll do fine with the stock set up, but brakes too are a top priority in my build. 

I got the CB Radio installed today...woohoo. One more item off the list.

John Canfield said:
I had to do a bit of sleuthing but finally found the thread.

Nice write up, I hope that my mechanical skills are up to the task. I'm expecting a call on my parts at any time now. 

Those look good.  I like having the tube - you can put a strap or winch line on them if necessary or have two or three people stand on them in a tippy situation.

John Canfield said:
Those look good.  I like having the tube - you can put a strap or winch line on them if necessary or have two or three people stand on them in a tippy situation.

Poison Spyder is really on the job too, I ordered them Friday morning by calling them and according to FedEx tracking they will be delivered Monday. I like the tube and step too. On the CJ5 I built I had Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, and they were well made. I am hoping for an equally satisfying experience this time around. If all goes well I'll get them to the powder coat facility on Tuesday and have them back and installed by/during the weekend.

On the other hand, my Sports Cage from 4wheelparts.com is running late, according to them the kit won't even ship until Monday (a full 5-days after I ordered). I guess I am spoiled.

captsteve said:
Yeah John, Amazon Prime has me totally spoiled!!!

Me too, I still have Student Status as I am a Graduate Student (in perpetual sabbatical) and so I have a current .edu email address; I get Amazon Prime for free for the next couple of years. I am supposed to graduate in 2016... :-\ but that day will come and go unnoticed at the rate my studies are going. I am more concerned with having fun than I am continuing an expensive education at my age.

It was suggested that I install an engine/transmission skid plate. My question is, wouldn't the skid plate block heat loss and serve to add heat to the engine and transmission.

Oscar Mike said:
It was suggested that I install an engine/transmission skid plate. My question is, wouldn't the skid plate block heat loss and serve to add heat to the engine and transmission.

No, there is still plenty of air circulated. If you're going to be playing in the rocks engine/transmission skids are almost necessary IMHO. It doesn't take much to do in an oil pan. I used one from Skid Row, but I didn't like the fact that it only bolted, in the front to the motor mount bracket on the driver's side, so I modified it a little, and now it also bolts to the frame lower control arm bracket on the passenger side.

Attachments

• Eng Skid.jpg
    Eng Skid.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Skid 2.jpg
    Skid 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
What Dennis said. 

A full oil pan/transfer skid plate was one of the very first mods I made.  I have the Rokmen version, a lot of the guys like Savvy aluminum to keep the weight down.

Well, I suppose those will be my next parts to order along with Front & Rear bumpers. I received my Rock Sliders today, I should have them installed in the next couple of days.

I am installing the Rock Sliders and in doing so I read somewhere that you should trim 3/16" from the body bushing(s)(2) that that slider slides under. Is this necessary?

Not sure about yours, but on mine I read that you should to prevent squeaking. The second choice on mine was to grind the aft edge down on the slider its self. My sliders being take offs from a shop display jeep are already ground down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom