Jeep Modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
captsteve said:
Not sure about yours, but on mine I read that you should to prevent squeaking. The second choice on mine was to grind the aft edge down on the slider its self. My sliders being take offs from a shop display jeep are already ground down.

I guess that makes sense...I'll have to remove the body bushings, I don't like the idea of grinding the slider.

I'm sure our installs are a bit different. Mine by design just rubbed the body mount and squeak during body flex, thus the grinding to give a little clearance.

It took me a bit over 2.5 hours to install the first one, and about 45 minutes to install the 2nd one. I was able to get enough lift to get the body bushings out and cut off 3/16" +/-.

Attachments

• Rock Sliders 001.JPG
    Rock Sliders 001.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Rock Sliders 002.JPG
    Rock Sliders 002.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Rock Sliders 006.JPG
    Rock Sliders 006.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 15
Lookin good John. 

We are in Moab right now and there is one similar looking to yours camped a few spots down from us @ Portal.

Mike.

Thanks, the only problem with completing one project on the Jeep...there's always another modification to make. Moab is coming up quickly, I am hoping to have bumpers ordered by the end of next week (wife  ;)).

Smittybilt has, front and rear bumpers with a swing away tire carrier for just over 1k . I could go with Garvin Wilderness Racks bumpers with all of the accessories, i.e. tank mounts, rack, brush guard which runs quite a bit more, upwards of 3k. There are so many choices when it comes to bumpers it boggles the thinking...

I went with the Smittybilt XRC Bumper(s) in the front and rear, since 4WheelParts.com is late with my Rock Hard 4x4 Sports Cage the manager gave me a 15% discount on my bumpers. I am about half way through the installation, bumper & winch are mounted, now I have 2-lights, and all my tow electrical to finish installing.

I should add...there is a difference between Made in the USA and Made in China. The Smittybilt product is an import and you can tell. But spending less then 1k on both bumpers with a swing away tire carrier versus spending nearly 3k was a corner I needed to cut. The manager did caution me not to mount Jerry Cans on the swing away... ???

Oscar Mike said:
The Smittybilt product is an import and you can tell.

You're right, it's not the same Smittybuilt as it used to be. The old man is probably turning over is his grave.... :eek:

The new front bumper...

Attachments

• Jeep Front Bumper 001.JPG
    Jeep Front Bumper 001.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Jeep Front Bumper 002.JPG
    Jeep Front Bumper 002.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 23
Now I'm back-peddling. After seeing the quality or lack thereof in the Smittybilt Front Bumper, I've decided to not make the same mistake with the rear bumper and I ordered the Rock Hard 4x4 Rear Bumper with Swing Away tire carrier.
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RH-2001-C This appears to be a much higher quality bumper.

Well, I made my first mistake...I thought buying cheap would save me a couple of bucks...no such luck. :mad:

Live and learn.  I still try to get by on the cheap once in a while and it usually comes back to bite me in the butt.  I just bought a midi wood lathe and a set of what I thought was okay quality chisels for it - ding, ding.  Bad choice.  I'm having to sharpen them every couple of minutes of use  ::)  ???  :( .  Sigh.

John Canfield said:
Live and learn.  I still try to get by on the cheap once in a while and it usually comes back to bite me in the butt.  I just bought a midi wood lathe and a set of what I thought was okay quality chisels for it - ding, ding.  Bad choice.  I'm having to sharpen them every couple of minutes of use  ::)  ???  :( .  Sigh.

And to compound matters, I've got to come up with some ideas for my fabricator to raise the tow brackets. The only legitimate idea I have is to fabricate an entire bumper and incorporating the tow bracket into the bumper. The XRC Bumper appears that it would make a good pattern for a newly fabricated bumper. I'm thinking this will cost me $1,000.00+.

Oscar Mike said:
I've decided to not make the same mistake with the rear bumper and I ordered the Rock Hard 4x4 Rear Bumper with Swing Away tire carrier.  This appears to be a much higher quality bumper.

I have the Rock Hard bumper and used to have the swing away tire carrier.  IMHO it is a high quality bumper and I'm very happy with it.  The swing away tire carrier works, but can be a PITA.  The tire carrier also moves the tire away from the back of the jeep which also moves your center of gravity back.  After about six years of use, I took mine of and put the TeraFlex HD Hinged Carrier (http://www.teraflex.biz/teraflex-jk-hd-hinged-carrier-and-adjustable-spare-tire-mounting-kit-1.html) on my jeep.  It is a great improvement over the Rock Hard carrier.  :)

John,

Don't sweat the mod for the tow bar, Get a set of D-ring adaptors for the tow bar. I have a blue ox and found them for around $200.00. They replace the tow bar ends and pin right to the pad eye for the shackles. Of course this made me get a 6" drop receiver to raise the tow bar to match the bumper but in the end it's clean and easy.

Steve

Oscar Mike said:
The only legitimate idea I have is to fabricate an entire bumper and incorporating the tow bracket into the bumper.
Bill,
I believe LoD (line of duty) builds a front bumper with optional integral tow bar adapters. I believe they will do Blue Ox and Roadmaster. Another thought is to get the Roadmaster baseplate for Wrangler. I imagine they make one, but I am not sure it would be compatible with your XRC bumper.

I am not sure why you don't use bolt on adapters like I have from Blue Ox. Roadmaster must have them for their towbars.

It is a shame to have to scrap your current bumper this early in your build since you have many more items on your wish list for Moab.

Back
Top Bottom