Plywood Exterior Roof: What Finish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny

Hi all,
I'm laying plywood 1/4" sheets over my little trailer (it's a new build) and instead of covering that with aluminum or whatever, I was thinking of painting it with something that would water-proof it.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jenny

Minnesota Roofing and Rv 320-763-7100 has a product that looks like heavy white latex paint that is actually a rubber type compound.  They have what looks like a roll of toilet paper that you put on the seams or joints of vents etc. and then you roll the roof with a paint roller.  You measure the size of the roof and they  send you the proper amount to paint on.  Roll a thick layer on, let dry and re-coat until you have used all of it.  I did the roof of my houseboat and it lasts for years.  They are located in Alexandria MN.

By the time you put on a couple coats of a quality waterproof coating (not really "paint"), you can probably cover with EPDM or aluminum.  A 9x10 piece of Dicor EPDM rubber roofing runs about $100 on ebay.  Brush-on liquid EPDM coatings run around $32/qt or $80/gallon.

In either case you have to thoroughly seal all the seams and roof openings with lap sealant or tape (Eternabond or equivalent).

The nice thing about the Minnesota roofing stuff is that it can be used from side wall to side wall and then there is no need for sealing the individual seams.  It becomes a seamless roof covering.  I have seen RVs with this coating and if needed I would use it on my MH as it solves the maintenance of the seams completely.

I think I would use this rather than the EPDM coating Gary mentioned.  If done right I think it is a better solution for your application.  JMO!

Ok this has gone on long enough! what we have here is someone that is BUILDING a trailer.

They have posted some questions about little problems, that we simply answered, good straight forward answers I might add. and not once has anyone asked for pictures!

What is up with this group we want to see pictures. don't we? http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/Smileys/default/shocked.gif
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/Smileys/default/cool.gif

you can usually buy commercial rubber roof in up to 12' wide rolls, so you should be able to do a travel trailer seamless.  The only seams would be the penetrations, which they make flashing pieces for. 

Brings me to another question, has anyone put a layer of foam insulation board over the roof before the rubber like we do on buildings?  Doing it this way would make almost no thermal breaks.  It would make it difficult in the edges where it meets the siding, but if its a new build that wouldn't be a problem.

Here's a web site listing various finishes for Marine use.
http://www.rosslaird.com/blog/wood-finishing-for-marine-use/
Should find something to your liking there.

Rubber is a good way to go depending on size.  My houseboat was 13' 8" wide and 40' long.  I couldn't find rubber that size without putting seams in it.  The roofing I used was as easy as painting a floor, so any one could do it and the cost if I remember right was about $250.00.  It is very durable and flexible and will last for years.

Thanks for all the answers-good stuff!  I will send pics when I get some help with uploading!
Jenny 

My RV roof is 35 and I had to buy a roll 50 ft and cut off rest, that way it is all one piece from front to rear and side to side. No seams... Got it from a roofing company in Springfield Mo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom