New to this site and buying an RV in the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fletch_lives

I am looking at buying a used caravan in the UK. Since I am an American (now living in France) I am definitely in need of a LHD vehicle; however, I plan on doing most of my travels in continental Europe (they all drive on the correct side of the road for the most part, lol).

The caravan I am most interested in is a Burstner T615. The only misgiving I have is that it has a cassette toilet. Would anybody please weigh in on the pros and cons of this type of toilet. Also I read in some posts about a bacterial system, but they were last posted in 2006. Any further news on that front, too, would be helpful.

Thanks.

Fletch,

Welcome to the Forum!

We have several folks who are familiar with the differences in the European style of RV'ing and equipment needs, and hopefully they will come right along with some good information. While I have traveled in Europe, it was not in an RV. Maybe one day!

Kim

p.s. I am going to add a "UK" in your subject line to catch more interest.

I suspect that the cassette toilet may provide more options in terms of where you can dump the sewage, e.g. a campground that does not provide sewer hookups. Here's a Youtube video for the benefit of folks who are not familiar with this type of toilet.

Hi - I'm a Brit and been RV'ing for 20 years. Everybody uses cassettes here, so you don't really have a choice. Well almost everybody! There are plenty of US style RV's with tanks, and you can find places to drop the tank, but you have to research and plan your trip to find these places. You can dump a cassette almost anywhere, and all sites are set up for cassettes, only a few sites are set up for tanks. The bacterial system you are thinking of is probably the SOG system, google it. Most people use a blue chemical to neutralise smells, but the SOG system enables you to not use chemicals.

Good luck

I have the cassete toilet in my european made windmill and it is what it is, you have to empty them regularly, do yourself a favor and get a diaper bag, put the used tissue in the diaper bag after use vice in the toilet it will make you life immensely easier.  the self melting tissue paper is iffy as the cassete toilets tank is so small that the paper does not sit in there long enough to dissolve, as a result it can plug S*&t up (litterally)

If it is only feces and urin along with the flushing water its easy to dump, and does not clog up.

kenn

Understand I am a dinosaur about buying in GB.  In 1976 they all lined up on Embassy row to sell newbies as they were waiting to get home.  Great deals then, not sure now.  DW and I spent 7 months vagabonding all thru Europe after hover crafting over the channel to get on the right side of driving.  Bought a 1973 24' Commer for $2500.00 and it was great.  I know it is not pertinent to today, however the same excitement can be duplicated.  Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom