Average time in any one spot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelers1407

I understand that the average time a person spends at one camp location can vary based on circumstances. My two questions are for the experienced full timers.

1. When you started full timing, did you change locations more frequently for a certain time period before you slowed the pace down?

2. Once you have been full timing for a substantial amount of time, how often would you change locations? I don't expect anyone to give there specific details, but I'm sure many of you have regular contact with other full timers and I am just looking for an average in general.

We did travel more often initially,  but it slowed down as we developed a routine. Now it's months during the winter season snd probably about a month average per stop between May and October, not counting overnight travel stops.

Ernie

When we started, we had the "vacation mode" bad and thought we had to see everything as soon as possible. We moved about every three days. It took 7-8 months of that to get tiring. We workamp now and since May of last year have spent 3 months at a park in Colorado and 4 months at a resort in California. When not workamping we spend 5-6  days in the same spot. We have to be In DC on 3/1 and we are in California, so we will travel faster, back to 2-3 days or less in the same spot.

When not in transit, we and most of the full timers we know stay at least a month most of the time.
As snowbirds we are now staying five months in the same RV park in the winter.

We do the same. When we started we wanted to see it all in one year. Now our 7 month winter trip takes 6 weeks of 1-7 day stops between WA to CA or AZ and then a month at 3 or 4 places. On the trip home in April we budget a month and get home when we run out of road. But there is no right or wrong. Whatever feels right to you is the way to do it.

Ken

I think most newcomers to unlimited RVing rush around a lot, "vacation mode", as we call it. Lot's of places to see and you haven't got used to having plenty of time yet. We criss-crossed the country  three or four times in the first few years, wanting to see all the places that had been out of reach. Little by little we slowed down and began to spend more time in each place. Now, 20 years later, we are darn near snowbirds, spending about 3 months in one place in Maine during the summer and making a leisurely journey to & from our Florida home base in spring and fall.

We are wrapping up our fourth year full timing and never really had the vacation mode because I have always worked full time from the coach. It was far too disruptive to roll every couple of days.

We average a month or so at a time at least half the time, and the other six months we are repositioning to join friends or family. When I really need to get some work done, Christi will drive and I will work from the passenger seat, or we'll time our movements to significant events at work.

I learned on the very first trip out that ten hour days sucked, and we have done that only once since to respond to a family medical emergency.

Our rhythm is that we are on "RV time" and most of things we enjoy seeing have been there for thousands (or millions) of years. Pretty sure they won't change a lot before we get there!  8)

Everybody has their own pace - we don't judge!  ;)

Kim

Jim and Darlene... we would love to hear about your workamping

SkyKing... what type of work do you do out of your RV

Thanks much

Blue Skies,

I am the technical lead on a large data warehouse project contracted by the government in the health care industry. I have servers, development staff, and operational staff all in different parts of the country banded together via phone and data networks. It makes no difference where I am as long as I have cellular voice and data coverage to connect.

Kim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom