Here we go again, and the Beatles!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddie

Don't know how many saw Paul and Ringo last night, but I guess a lot of people out RVing are Baby-Boomers, as myself.  It was a really good concert, especially the last, "Hey Jude" segment which I watched several times.  I'm sure it will be played ad nauseum, but if you haven't seen it, it's worth looking for.
So here comes the snow again in NC. I'm sure you Yanks are like, WAA,WAA, WAA. And I don't blame you a bit.  We were supposed to be in FL this week, and I'm so glad I changed it, because I'd be freaking thinking about driving back Wednesday.  Snowbird status is looking better and better!
Time change in 27 days, hoorah!  For some reason that always feels like turning a corner.
I can only hope someday to meet some of you I've gotten so much help from;  Wendy, Seiler, Gary, so many.

Growing up in a very strict religious background, the Beatles were not allowed. :( So, we pulled the covers over our heads and listened to them very quietly on my older brother's transistor radio. 8)

Have it on the DVR and will watch it at the first opportunity.  I'm 50....was weaned on the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Kinks, Grass Roots, Zeppelin, etc.  I could recite the entire Sgt Pepper album before I knew my alphabet  ;D

I remember watching the Ed Sullivan Show that night...I was 9 years old, we were living in Port O Connor, TX at the time. As I recall my mother and father really berated the Beatles and their abnormally long hair (we were a military family).

I actually owned a Beatles record (I Want To Hold Your Hand) before the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan. From the first words of All My Loving I was a hooked Beatlemaniac. I was a drummer at the time and I was confused that Ringo wasn't holding the drum sticks properly.

How funny that the Beatles seemed so sinful to our parents.  Look at what we have to contend with now.  Glad I'm not raising kids anymore.

I well remember those little transistor radios and what a miracle they were.

Maddie said:
How funny that the Beatles seemed so sinful to our parents.  Look at what we have to contend with now.  Glad I'm not raising kids anymore.

I well remember those little transistor radios and what a miracle they were.

Yeah, I think my dad turned grey about the time Alice Cooper showed up. ;D

Yeah and I don't think he ever exposed himself on stage, as strange as he was.  What a world............

Maddie said:
How funny that the Beatles seemed so sinful to our parents.....

Egads! They grew their hair down OVER THEIR EARS! What was the world coming to...
We were blessed to grow up with the Beatles. They were writing and performing stuff of a style unheard of.

Then.... later.... there was Paul's "Wings"... Sad... So sad..

I had just turned 15 when they landed in NY. I remember watching the girls go gaga and thinking What's the big deal? Who are these guys, I grew up in a small town and the local station was playing Doris Day and Perry Como. By the time the Ed Sullivan show ended we were hooked. ;D In six years it was pretty much over for them but what an influence on rock and roll.

dverstra said:
I was trying to figure out where to find whatever they had to make the girls do that. 8)
It is pretty easy to figure out if you look at a photo of Elvis in 1964 with five pounds of Brylcream on his hair :-[

I agree Wings was lame and I never got into it.  As far as what the Beatles had initially, I can't really say.  It was romantic and different is the best I can do.  Of course, if our parents didn't like it, that was a plus.
When my son was growing up we enjoyed Michael Jackson, and enjoyed it together. Even to this day he doesn't seem to mind. MJ was a tragedy in the making and if allegations are true, he didn't deserve much.  I reserve judgment, he was a great talent, but I digress...

Well, for must of us, what else are we going to talk about? Just crummy weather.  26 days until DST.

dverstra said:
Yeah, I think my dad turned grey about the time Alice Cooper showed up. ;D

I remember my grandmother (82 at the time) coming to visit and seeing Marilyn Manson on MTV around 1994.....and nearly having a coronary.  LOL 

When I was in second grade circa 1971, I brought a small cassette player to school and we were listening to Grand Funk Railroad and Jimi Hendrix at recess.  My teacher sent me to the office for bringing "hippie music" to school.  She was the quintessential dried up old prune schoolmarm LOL

Maddie said:
Well, for must of us, what else are we going to talk about? Just crummy weather.  26 days until DST.

We'll see 40 degrees next week. Its a heat wave. I'm heading to the beach. Wait a minute...the water is hard! ;D

Are you being serious? Or just kidding around. Someone said Alice Cooper was a 'he'. Really? Never saw a bit of rock after 1970, and still would not recognize a "star" from 1970 to 2014 if he/she walked up to me on the sidewalk. Many can't do that...dead from drugs. None of that stuff from 1970 to now (with some rare exceptions) has a thing to do with music. Just noise.

Alice Cooper (Vincent Furner) was realitivly mild compared to today.  The major market continues to be pre-teens through late teens, so there's great money to be had in being as outrageous and shocking as possible to the point of parents forbidding the.. "music" [sic].
Ironic... Kids think they're rebelling, but in reality they are being sucked into the 'great marketing machine'.

BinaryBob said:
Alice Cooper (Vincent Furner) was realitivly mild compared to today.  The major market continues to be pre-teens through late teens, so there's great money to be had in being as outrageous and shocking as possible to the point of parents forbidding the.. "music" [sic].
Ironic... Kids think they're rebelling, but in reality they are being sucked into the 'great marketing machine'.

Now they just make some Techno Music using a computer and have a music festival. As long as there is noise and a crowd, the kids will show up. 8)

dverstra said:
Now they just make some Techno Music using a computer and have a music festival. As long as there is noise and a crowd, the kids will show up. 8)

The days of talent have long since vanished.....

Attachments

• rip rnr.jpg
    rip rnr.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 23
Frizlefrak said:
The days of talent have long since vanished.....

We are heading to Memphis at the end of April. I hope that the tombstone is not correct as far as Beale Street is concerned. We'll be at Tom Sawyer RV Park (barring a flood) , sitting back and watching the barge traffic flow past.

Back
Top Bottom