Here we go again, and the Beatles!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frizlefrak said:
The days of talent have long since vanished.....

Naw, it's just hard to sift it out from what passes as pop.
Didn't you see any of the young musicians with talent on that show? Gary Clark Jr? Never heard of him before, kind of a crunchy blues man. Not in a granola way.

Bill

I believe there is still talent out there. If it emerges, the machine tries to make into something it isn't but more salable (admit that's not a real word).

Alison Krause is my favorite.

Maddie said:
I believe there is still talent out there. If it emerges, the machine tries to make into something it isn't but more salable (admit that's not a real word).

It's a real word, and you've made a perfect analysis of the situation.  Could't agree more.  :)

Frizlefrak said:
The days of talent have long since vanished.....
I feel sorry for anyone who listens to modern music and thinks it is all junk. You all sound like your parents 40 years ago. I hear lots of great music on todays music scene.

I have a friend of mine I have known for over 50 years. He hates all modern music. If it doesn't sound like Bob Wills from 1937 he simply does not listen. So sad. He is missing so much.

Maddie said:

There is indeed talent out there today. Alison Krauss (along with her Union Station Band) is one of my favorites, but Jimmy Fortune, Daily and Vincent, Ren?e Fleming, Bryn Terfel, Naomi Bristow, and Judy Collins (yes, she's still around), to name a few, are excellent. There is some listenable pop music being done today, but hip hop, rap, and most forms of today's rock are hard for me to take (to me, that's not music), as are distorted instruments (they actually do that on purpose). I won't say there's no talent there, as I can't listen to it long enough (a few seconds) to find out. If they play that stuff in a store, I'm gone.

Of course, I'm one of those that, even when I was a teen and it was brand new, didn't like Little Richard and a number of others of that ilk.

SeilerBird said:
I feel sorry for anyone who listens to modern music and thinks it is all junk. You all sound like your parents 40 years ago. I hear lots of great music on todays music scene.

I could not have said it better myself. There is a ton of good modern music, you just have to sort through a lot of crap to find it. Plus, just because something isn't suited to your personal tastes, that doesn't automatically negate musical talent. I don't particularly care for most country music, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate Faith Hill's amazing voice, or Miranda Lambert's fun lyrics and sound.

A few members of our uke band in their 80's think that any music from the mid 40's/early 50's on is "that awful rock and roll stuff"  ;D

This may be well known by ardent Beatles fans but there was an excellent movie that came out in 2007 called ?Across the Universe? which relates to the turmoil experienced in the late 60?s as the country was besieged with protest and revolts regarding the Vietnam War. The movie is a musical and all of the songs are Beatles tunes from that era.  If you lived though that time it will remind you of just how involved people became with the issue, on both sides, and if it is before your time it is a good glimpse of how the turmoil affected the nation.  If you?re a big Beatles fan, as I am, it is a ?must see?.  Cameo?s by Joe Cocker and Bono. T Bone Burnett directed the music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Across_the_Universe_(film)

I will say modern country is good....it has what rock used to have.  And I still listen to a handful of recent hard rock bands....Seether, Pop Evil, Halestorm, Volbeat, etc....but they're now the exception, not the rule.  Most new rock is absolute crap.

Frizlefrak said:
Most new rock is absolute crap.
No, the problem is you are too old. Modern rock, like all rock before it, was designed with teenagers in mind. Old foggies never like new rock music since it doesn't sound exactly like the stuff they listened too as a teenager.

Sloop, will check that out.

Frizlefrak, you're right.  I guess the MO is 'If you play loud and fast enough, you don't need talent".  Or am I just getting old?

Tom,
I agree there is a lot of good modern rock out there.
My distaste (hopefully not simply because I'm old), are the "shock rockers" who simply make noise and not entertain through their music, but through their antics.

BinaryBob said:
My distaste (hopefully not simply because I'm old), are the "shock rockers" who simply make noise and not entertain through their music, but through their antics.
But they are entertaining with their music, they just aren't entertaining you.

Personally I love music, all music, without reservation. I don't care if it is classical, opera, rock, country, soul, rap or hip hop, music is music and there is good in all of it. It seems to me like old people have this tendency to view every bit of music not created when they were teenagers as crap. That is fine with me, you are only cheating yourself.

That's very open minded of you Tom.
Personally I prefer music with discernable lyrics and some form of melody. That can be any genre. Not sure what that has to do with age.
I don't feel cheated in the least bit.  ;D

SeilerBird said:
No, the problem is you are too old. Modern rock, like all rock before it, was designed with teenagers in mind. Old foggies never like new rock music since it doesn't sound exactly like the stuff they listened too as a teenager.

If I'm too old, why do I listen to Pop Evil, Volbeat, Five Finger Death Punch, Saving Abel, Avenged Sevenfold, etc?  All very modern....problem is, for each of them, there are a dozen bands with next to zero talent.  I'm talking garbage like Three Days Grace, All That Remains, In This Moment, Breaking Benjamin, Trapt,....I could go on all day.  Most of the new stuff I buy is from long established artists like Korn, Slash, Sixx AM, etc.

Rap is played out....NWA, Too Short, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys, Eminem were all innovators...but there hasn't been an innovator in a long time  Rap either needs a revolution, or it will fade into oblivion...and soon.  Kids don't buy albums any more....they download singles. 

Rock is dying a miserable, drawn out death.  Even Motley Crue is hanging it up after 33 years.

And I might agree with the age thing, except for this....young folks are telling me today's rock sucks.  Lots of them.  22 year old dude at work asking me to burn copies of my Queen and Van Halen CD's.  He knows Peter Frampton as well as I do.  Pulls into work with Fleetwood Mac playing in the car.

The Beatles were innovators.  Queen were innovators.  Enimem was an innovator.  There are no new innovators today.

SeilerBird said:
There is Lady Gaga, Beyonce and Madonna, all are innovators and doing pretty well.

Lady Gaga?  Seriously?  Mediocre theatrics do not constitute talent. She co-writes her "music", I'll give her that....
Beyonce?  Neither her nor any of Destiny's Child were particularly talented, no less innovators.  And DC was the late 90's.  Last I checked, that was 15 + years ago.
Madonna?  I'll grant you that one, but check the calendar....that was 1983. 

Besides, I said NEW innovators.

Thanks for playing, try again.

If you did hear any "new innovators" you probably wouldn't like them since the music would not be anything you would recognize.

Yes, Lady Gaga, seriously. You want innovation, she's got it. She also has one of the best set of pipes today. Rent this DVD, watch it with an open mind and then get back to me since you have probably never even heard her sing:

http://www.amazon.com/Presents-Monster-Madison-Square-Explicit/dp/B005SV9X22/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1392422111&sr=1-1&keywords=lady+gaga

Beyonce is not called Queen Bee for nothing. She is outselling just about every artist there is today and that is because of her talent. Another lady with a brilliant set of pipes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom