Need to replace the cartridge in a Moen faucet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

I am at witts end.  Mohen faucet in bathroom shower.  Will not shut off. 2007 Journey SE (striped edition)

Has anyone replaced the cartridge? I called Mohen they overnighted the wrong cartridge. I need the model number.  I am going to put a shutoff valve on the shower hose in the meantime. Cannot turn on the hot water heater, uses up the hot water. 

I have pictures of valve but they are on my iPhone which I sent to mohen.  A lot of help they did. 

Jim

Do you know the cartridge number? 

Thanks for the quick comeback

Jim

Was going to Lowes tomorrow to buy a shutoff valve.

I'm sorry. Don't have the part number. MH is in storage with all my repair papers.
Can you take the bad one with you to the store?

Edited to add: If memory serves, it was #1222 but I'm not 100% positive

Cannot get the old one out without the tool. But you gave me a start.  They sent me a 1225 B which was wrong.

I'll go to Lwes tomorrow.  Thanks.

Jim

Shut off water, (City and in house pump) pull cartridge, Go to Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot. or whatever. Get replacement.

If it is JUST the hot that is flowing you can close one of the water heater bypass valves (Assumes you have 3 valve system) alas, this will not work with the single valve system.

This may require 2 trips. Go get the tool to pull the cartridge take the old cartridge to the store. Then find out they don't have that cartridge and by new faucet. Well thats how I did it.
Bill

FIXED!!!!!

:) :) Binary Bob you had the right part number.  Maverick gave me Mohens phone number.  after shipping me the wrong part, I sent pictures this morning and they told me the part number.  Went to Lowes they had the cartridge, after another call to Mohen, FIXED. 

Tom check your mail time to step up to the bar.....

Thanks everyone. 

Now I am going to try and get the old TV out and replace it with a new one.  Just don't know how to get the cabinet opened.  will be looking for ideas.

I feel like the guy in the insurance commercial. Throw me a chain saw....

Jim

I've had to replace the cartridge in my Moen shower valve twice in 4 years. I was lucky in that I had the Moen shower valve manual in my Winnebago manual pouch & I went to HD & bought a new Moen brand cartridge which included the removal tool. Last month it started to drip again & I had to replace it again. Couldn't find a genuine Moen cartridge; bought an aftermarket one from HD. So far, so good. I'd like to know why the valves go bad so frequently. I'm not a fulltimer so it doesn't get used all that hard.

Someone told me that Moen cartridges have a lifetime warranty so I may see if I can get a free replacement to use 4 years from now.  :D

BinaryBob said:
Glad it's fixed!
Now when you get to the TV replacement, let us know how it goes.
That's on my todo list...
What Binary Bob said.  ;D

ceemike said:
...Someone told me that Moen cartridges have a lifetime warranty so I may see if I can get a free replacement to use 4 years from now.  :D

Not in our RV, but in our condo we have Moen faucets.  They started "seizing up" (from age).  Moen sent us out free replacement cartridges, despite that this plumbing is going on 20 yeas old!  They only thing they asked is whether we are the original owners (we are), since that lifetime warranty is not transferrable.

If it is a two or three handle faucet, you need the 1224 cartridge
If it is a single handle faucet and the handle pulls out to turn it on, you need a 1225 cartridge
If it is a single handle faucet that turns counter-clockwise for on and cold to hot, you need a 1222 cartridge.

I'm a plumber.  Trust me.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom