Winnebago Aspect 30J...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

I don't know if this is the proper venue to post, with that said, I have a problem with our bedroom television. When I play a DVD I cannot get sound except through the Surround Sound System in the front of the coach. The dealer said that sound is not available via a DVD to the bedroom TV. Picture without sound?!?

I am also being told that the heat pump will only control the temperature within 4-degrees of the ambient temperature, for example this morning the coach was 44 F, I would need to run the propane heat until it reached temperature of 65 F and then the heat pump could be used. I hope that my explanation makes sense.

John Canfield said:
Doesn't sound right to me.  Any specifics in your owner's manuals?

Nothing that I can find in the Owner's Manual(s) about the television; however, the Heat Pumps do rely on the propane furnace to augment the heat pump when the temperature drops more than 4 degrees from the set-point. I imagine that the propane is more efficient. When the propane takes over for the heat pump the heat pump is then locked out for 1 hour 45 minutes... :-\

Oscar Mike said:
I don't know if this is the proper venue to post, with that said, I have a problem with our bedroom television. When I play a DVD I cannot get sound except through the Surround Sound System in the front of the coach. The dealer said that sound is not available via a DVD to the bedroom TV. Picture without sound?!?

I am also being told that the heat pump will only control the temperature within 4-degrees of the ambient temperature, for example this morning the coach was 44 F, I would need to run the propane heat until it reached temperature of 65 F and then the heat pump could be used. I hope that my explanation makes sense.

You can probably solve the DVD to Bedroom TV problem with a modulator. Use the composite Y,R,W output from DVD to Modulator, then connect the RF CH 3/4 modulator output to TV switch box.

What they were saying about the heat pump was, if the the set point is more than 4F from actual temperature, the thermostat will call for propane heat, then after a couple of cycle will go to heat pump and maintain the set point temperature. This is to insure that the coach heats in a reasonable amount of time.

John Hilley said:
You can probably solve the DVD to Bedroom TV problem with a modulator. Use the composite Y,R,W output from DVD to Modulator, then connect the RF CH 3/4 modulator output to TV switch box.

??? In English please...the only thing I got out of that was the Y,R,W (Yellow, Red, White...right?). I am a carpenter by trade, and by skill, electronics is pure Greek to me. As much as I try to keep up, the digital age is whizzing by. 

Oscar Mike said:

What I do with our Itasca Sunstar 35B with an autochange over thermostat is as follows: When the room temperature is well below the temperature to which I would like to set the thermostat, I only set the thermostat 4? higher than the room temperature.  After a few minutes, when the room temperature has increased some, I then turn the thermostat up another few degrees. This is somewhat of a pain but it prevents the furnace from coming on. With our cost of delivered propane and the relatively inexpensive cost of electric, I like to use electric as much as possible.

Often I get up for a bathroom run an hour or so before we plan to get up. I then turn the thermostat up 4? higher than the room temperature. When my wife gets up a little later she turns the thermostat up another 4? to 71? and we are good to go.

R

You will want to read your manual on this, should be section marked "Entertainment". There are allot of tips and tricks that you generally aren't aware of without reading it.

Oscar Mike said:

Mike, you must have some sort of HDMI matrix device (a box with all sorts of LED's) that allows you to show the DVD on one television, or both TV's.  You should be able to get picture and sound thru both TV's. On mine, which is admittedly a different version, you have to turn the bedroom TV volume up on that TV, as it does not get controlled by the front TV surround sound volume.  But you certainly should have the ability to get sound.  I wouldn't change any wiring or anything.

The heat pump(s) is only effective when the outside temperature (not the temp inside the coach) is moderate. I have tried mine when the external (outside the coach) was in the low 50's or higher 40's and it worked surprisingly well. The coach thermostat is supposed to be capable of switching the heating system on the coach from heat pump to propane furnace when the difference between commanded temperature and actual (inside the coach) equals 4 degrees or more for a given amount of time.  It's the outside temperature that will determine whether the heat pump will work effectively.  If it's 20F outside, the heat pumps won't do anything. It won't matter if you run the interior of the coach up to 65F. 

Of course, your thermostat and system controls must be capable of this, I am not that familiar with your coach controls.  It seems like a call to Winnebago, as suggested by others, would clear up your concerns.

We spent our first weekend in the Aspect, what I can report is that the HVAC system heat does work as designed. The entertainment center is still in question. I do have a HDMI Matrix Device (or so I would assume). I have no surround sound unless we were watching a DVD. Watching regular television we had only mono from the television. I'll be contacting Winnebago today via their customer relations department to see if I can get it sorted out.

This is the response from Winnebago:

John,
The surround sound system is only set up for the lounge area in your motor home, which plays thru the home theater DVD player.
Thanks,
Tommy Greenwood
Service Advisor
Winnebago Industries
PH: 1-800-537-1885

So while the Specifications for the Winnebago Aspect does not SPECIFICALLY state that the surround system is available whenever the entertainment system is operating it does not specifically state otherwise. The Surround system ONLY works with the DVD Player...Winnebago Misleading the buying public through innuendo.

Oscar Mike said:
..So while the Specifications for the Winnebago Aspect does not SPECIFICALLY state that the surround system is available whenever the entertainment system is operating it does not specifically state otherwise. The Surround system ONLY works with the DVD Player...Winnebago Misleading the buying public through innuendo.
While I agree they could have been more specific about the audio/video capabilities, calling it a misleading....innuendo is a bit of a stretch.

Out of curiosity, I looked over your TV/DVD wiring drawings and I have some enlightenment for you.  It appears to me the only time you will get true 5.1 surround sound is when you are playing a DVD that's encoded with 5.1 surround sound.  From the drawing, the TV audio L/R channel out is feeding the home theater L/R audio in - this is NOT 5.1 sound but just left/right analog audio.  For 5.1 sound, the TV (or satellite receiver) needs to feed the home theater with digital audio like an optical cable.

Your bedroom TVs capability looks like (unless there's more wiring than shown on the above linked wiring diagram) it's set up strictly for over the air TV.

The "Surround Sound" on my then brand new Horizon (the queen of the fleet in 2005) wasn't even true 5.1 sound - L/R audio was fed into an amplifier that drove a bunch of speakers sort-of kind-of mimicking surround sound.  I fixed all of that with the install of a Sony DVD/Home theater amplifier with digital audio out and in capabilities and a TV with digital audio out.  The bedroom TV has its own satellite receiver and I don't care about enhanced audio or the ability to play a DVD in the salon and watch it there.

Looks like you need to do some home entertainment upgrades (I started upgrading our brand new Horizon a month after taking delivery  :) .)

Maybe it's just me, but i would expect surround sound would mean surround sound thru my tv no-matter what i'm viewing....  :eek:

Dan

dan2 said:
Maybe it's just me, but i would expect surround sound would mean surround sound thru my tv no-matter what i'm viewing....  :eek:
Dan

B-I-N-G-O!

John Canfield said:
While I agree they could have been more specific about the audio/video capabilities, calling it a misleading....innuendo is a bit of a stretch.

Out of curiosity, I looked over your TV/DVD wiring drawings and I have some enlightenment for you.  It appears to me the only time you will get true 5.1 surround sound is when you are playing a DVD that's encoded with 5.1 surround sound.  From the drawing, the TV audio L/R channel out is feeding the home theater L/R audio in - this is NOT 5.1 sound but just left/right analog audio.  For 5.1 sound, the TV (or satellite receiver) needs to feed the home theater with digital audio like an optical cable.

Your bedroom TVs capability looks like (unless there's more wiring than shown on the above linked wiring diagram) it's set up strictly for over the air TV.

The "Surround Sound" on my then brand new Horizon (the queen of the fleet in 2005) wasn't even true 5.1 sound - L/R audio was fed into an amplifier that drove a bunch of speakers sort-of kind-of mimicking surround sound.  I fixed all of that with the install of a Sony DVD/Home theater amplifier with digital audio out and in capabilities and a TV with digital audio out.  The bedroom TV has its own satellite receiver and I don't care about enhanced audio or the ability to play a DVD in the salon and watch it there.

Looks like you need to do some home entertainment upgrades (I started upgrading our brand new Horizon a month after taking delivery  :) .)

John,

My wording might have been a tad stronger than it should have been; and perhaps it my bad for taking the "sales brochure" literally, I suppose it is because in my business as a General Contractor when I say surround sound it better be surround sound unless I specifically specify otherwise...or I would be paying for the surround sound. In this case Winnebago should clarify their publications...IMHO.

One more thought...honesty in business means more than a sales pitch to make the coach appear better than it is...that is the innuendo I spoke of.

Oh well, it is just the ranting of a consumer...who feels as if I have been fibbed to.

I really would not mind doing the upgrades, in fact I more than likely will at some point down the road. I'll do it out of loose change... :( or go pick the ol' money tree... :)

You're right too in that the bedroom television is set up for over the air television only...which I think is a pretty lame set up that needs to change considering that I paid better than a couple of grand for the in motion satellite receiver that is also NOT surround sound.

I thought I was getting an entertainment center...I got the equipment without the wiring...too funny IMO.

Actually that receiver is surround sound capable. However the entertainment system probably has only one digital sound input.

I really like my 2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J with the exception of the "Home Theater Sound System" that they advertise in their sales brochure http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2014/aspect/. I don't want to slam Winnebago, considering the business they are in they put out a good product that is affordable (relatively speaking).

I'll live without the "Home Theater Sound System" but it will be a source of angst until I get it fixed, considering the effort I went to in finding a coach with such a system. I am not by any means an electronics buff, so it is beyond my scope of knowledge to fix the problem, therefore, I get to pay someone to fix the issue... :mad:

That's the end of this rant...when I get around to having the "Home Theater Sound System" fixed, I'll post it.

We have a surround system in our motorhome and find it's vastly overrated in that environment.  Other than the occasional sound effect, the rear speakers rarely issue any sound.  A good set of stereo speakers is all that's needed.

My last two-cents; when I buy a new Cadillac, should I be expected to upgrade  "add"  climate control?

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom