Concerned about black/gray capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron_CA

Looking at the airstream interstate as well as other class B and am thinking that I will be making lots of pit stops to dump. Any way/ room to retrofit bigger? Which class B has the biggest tanks?

Generally speaking class Bs don't ever have large tanks. If you are going to be using the RV enough to where dumping is a concern then you should really think about stepping up to a class C or a class A.

Really want to have the B for getting around in places an A wouldn't be doable.

Ron_CA said:
Really want to have the B for getting around in places an A wouldn't be doable.
I have been full timing for ten years, half in a B and half in an A. There simply is no comparison. Holding tank sizes, cargo carrying capacity, room to stretch out. I did not own a toad and I never really had a problem driving my class A any place I wanted to go. Where do you think you are going to be going that an A could not get to?

City driving and some national / state parks? Plus really don't want a slide out so can maybe catch a snooze incognito  :)

Ron_CA said:
City driving and some national / state parks? Plus really don't want a slide out so can maybe catch a snooze incognito  :)
If you go to my web site you will see that I have visited every National Park in the lower 48 and many state parks. I have done a ton of city driving with no problem. I do not have any slide outs since I don't like them.

You need to rent a class B for a week and live in it to see what I am talking about.

Okay, how about this ....My Wife doesn't want anything that big  :p.

I get what your saying, I really do. Plus I know you are trying to avoid a follow up post "this is too small, I need a bigger RV"

Thanks

SeilerBird said:
You need to rent a class B for a week and live in it to see what I am talking about.

And be sure and take your wife, "who doesn't want anything that big", with you! There's perception and then there's reality...you'll see what Tom's talking about!

Kim

An RV is used for two things, driving and living in. Most RVers drive about 5% of the time and live in it about 95% of the time. It does not make sense to optimize your RV for driving since that is really a minor event. This past week it has been raining almost non stop here in central Florida. If I was living in a class B I would have gone nuts by now and I live alone.

HELP...Where is my "B"ackup?  :p

I appreciate your comments and I know you are (mostly) right  ;D

Okay here is the thing, I bought a house with a big 2000 sq ft garage. It has an 11 foot door and really wanted to park inside. I also like to drive sports cars and just thought the B would B more nimBBle and suit me better even though I am not going to be in a big hurry when I go.

skyking4ar2 said:
The truth always comes out eventually....  8)

Lol...I have plenty of room to park outside too, just thought it would be nice to park in there when not on the road.

Parking inside is a definite plus. However comparing the handling of a class B with a sports car is like comparing me to Paul McCartney as a singer.

I don't always agree with Seilerbird, but when I do it is about his and Sir Pauls singing. 

He is also over the top right about the size.  However, she who must be obeyed must be happy.  I know many folks that have and love their B's, I basically have a B and abn A, and for more than 2 days out, we choose the A. 

National an State Parks.  SOmeone in the B industry has really spread that rumor well. 

I kinda just made the thing about parks up  ;) although have been to some spots in Sequoia that an A may have trouble.

With an A you will typically tow a small car, so if the park has no place for you or limits shorter than your rig, you just camp elsewhere and drive in. 

However, if you have just made up objections, not sure what we can do for you.  Get what makes you comfortable, and over time trade or modify depending on needs.

Objections maybe, but still haven't got an answer to my original question.

Maybe a smaller A would work, I will have to look at some. Thanks

Ron_CA said:
Objections maybe, but still haven't got an answer to my original question.

Maybe a smaller A would work, I will have to look at some. Thanks
Okay...kind of an answer to your original question...If you are worried about the size of the holding tanks in a class B then you probably do need a class A or C.  I have a class B on a Mercedes chassis and love it.  But, my motorhome usage is closer to 95% driving and 5% live-in.  Well, maybe closer to 50/50, but my point is you (and the "other one") really need to decide what your usage will be before you throw down cash money.  If you plan on being closer to the 95/5 usage than the 50/50 usage, a class B might not be satisfactory.

Thanks Molaker. Glad you are enjoying your B. Can you give me an idea how you came up with 95/5? We probably won't gather much moss and will do quite a lot of driving with a lot of just overnight stays. May hang out for a while once we reach a destination.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom