Driving RV In High Winds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in a high wind area and the tow trucks make a mint on people who drive large vehicles in high winds.  The local RV shops do well too replacing awnings. 

If you are going to drive in a high wind area there are a few things to do that can help.  Fill your tanks, ALL of them, fuel, water, sewage, etc.  The lower the center of gravity the safer you are.  That said if the wind is bad enough to consider doing this, STAY where you are.  It is amazing the damage the wind can do to vents, air conditioners - I lost a cover parked in my driveway, and anything else because of things being blown at high speed. 
I have lost a solar panel while driving down the road when a sudden wind gust hit us, it also moved us nearly off the road.

Slowing down helps a lot and I can say that I have slowed the MH down to 30MPH and slower to limp into a town and safety.

Be careful, watch the weather and have good Luck.

Two years ago when we left Moab we drove south on 191 and then turned east toward New Mexico.  Going south we had very strong headwinds which weren't too bad, but when we changed eastward they were hitting our passenger side and were very strong.  Sand was blowing and drifting out over the road.  I was down to 25 mph at times because our 40' DP was taking a beating and we really didn't want it sandblasted.  At one point I saw a funny shadow on the driver side (sun was on the passenger side so the driver side was in shade) and it was one of our underbay doors that had opened.  Luckily there was no oncoming traffic until I could pull off to close it!

We crept into Farmington and stayed there for the weekend - which turned out to be fortuitous.  It was the Memorial weekend and activities along the River Walk were really interesting, especially the Navajo veterans who had their own flag ceremony and the teenage girl who sang the National Anthem in Navajo and hit every note perfectly.

So, hopefully when you need to hunker down you can make lemonade out of lemons!

ArdraF

I got scared to death. In our smaller and lighter class a, was pushed from one lane to another.  I was about o give up it was white knuckle driving most of the time.  My husband bought me this big old heavy diesel pusher, once in awhile have to park but rarely, only twice I know of.  the wind was really blowing today but could still run 65.

I drove later today as they are supposed to have very high winds behind me with 50mph gusts.

I live in the Mojave Desert in southern California and I never look forward to driving in the high winds. If we are heading out on a trip and it is really windy I just drive slowly to where I feel comfortable. If I can't feel comfortable driving then I just find a place to pull over we all sit around the dining table and play games together and wait it out.

I'm resurrecting this topic for just a moment to show you some pictures of wind damage to an RV that occurred earlier today. My friend and his wife were towing their triple-axle 30 foot toybox trailer in Imperial County (east of San Diego), and the wind was blowing so hard that it blew the roof right off a diesel-pusher, right in front of them. I guess everyone was okay, but I feel bad for the owner. My friend, who had a full-size vehicle in his trailer, said it was real windy, but his trailer did fine with all the weight inside.

Kev

Attachments

• Wind Damage 1.jpg
    Wind Damage 1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Wind Damage 2.jpg
    Wind Damage 2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 154
Is that his roof or is it his awning wrapped around ?

Wendy
In windy Coachella Valley

And if someone is wrong in their estimate of how well they and their rig can handle high winds, there is a good chance that someone else may die.

Drive with caution.

Seeing the above pic's and others about wind damage from driving on gusty days has changed my comfort level. I never considered what the wind could do, other than push you around. As a trucker I thought you only lost a roof on low bridges!

Bill

FYI... Dave, my RVing friend who took the pictures I posted, said it was indeed the roof that blew off - not the awning. He said it started with some smaller chunks that broke off then a large section peeled back - right in front of him. Yikes.

Kev

camperAL said:
Greetings,

I was wondering how difficult it is to drive a Class C type RV that is about 26 foot long in high winds or windgusts? For that matter how does a Class A RV handle? I know this is a generic question but I know the seasoned members have experience they can relate.

I know that in the southwestern states they can have some high wind storms that can pit your window glass beyond seeing out of. That includes paint damage. Perhaps there are times of the year this is more common and a time to avoid or at least gather information before hand. I've driven in the region during the end of January beginning of February and never really had a problem.

If the wind is caused by convection drive early before the wind rises. If the wind is caused by a weather front, sit it out.

Bill

March is the worst month for NM and surrounding states.  The other nasty wind machine are those pesty sand/dirt devils.  They look like mini tornadoes and can flip an RV if hit just right.  I got slammed by one and took a few years of me.  I tried to slow down but it changed directions as if to target me.  This was just outside the Great Sand Dunes in CO.  When you get hit by these or even straight line wind slow down and keep in a straight line.

As for the RV that had the roof tore off all I can say is oh s#%t.  The roof looks like an aluminum one the way it is crinkled and bent.

And my smart-aleck son was just complaining at how slow I must be driving in high winds!  (Note that I have never let him drive my Class C, nor has he ever driven a motorhome.) 

I was given very good advice by someone when I first bought my rig two years ago.  They told me to not worry about the cars behind me or the ones in front, that I should drive at a speed I found safe and comfortable.  You very seldom see a motorhome in the fast lane for very good reasons.  I am happy just following the big trucks and getting there when I get there.  They can certainly pass me on the freeway and I pull over often on a two-lane.

Tomorrow I head across Texas with a forecast 13-19 MPH tail wind, so it will be fine, but there is no sense trying to drive fast in bad conditions.

In high winds I drive my RV just like I would my motorcycle in high winds. I try to find which way the winds are blowing, if they are from the left I stay nearer the left side of the lane if they are blowing form the right I stay closer to the right side that way I can compensate for the gust.  If they are blowing from the rear I think about the great gas mileage that I will be getting, with the winds head  all the less miles I will be getting,

Speaking of high winds.

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2014/03/18/semi-truck-gets-blown-over-by-wind-on-idaho-bridge-video/

camperAL said:
Speaking of high winds.

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2014/03/18/semi-truck-gets-blown-over-by-wind-on-idaho-bridge-video/

I was following a semi southbound Patriot Freeway in El Paso a couple years ago....a 50 +MPH side gust hit....I saw daylight under the tires on the trailer...but it came back down.  Very tense moment. 

If wind will do this to a semi trailer, imagine what it will do to a travel trailer.  We get nasty winds out here....if they're over 20 mph sustained, I park and wait it out. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom