06 Moab Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tom, much obliged!  Dang, you must have the memory of an elephant.  Not only do I not remember pics of the campground at Moab, I don't even remember asking for them LOL!  ;D

Shirley and I went up to the La Sal Mountains this morning and as usual, I took more photos.  These are quite different from the desert rock shots that you have seen.  We even have snow.  Last night they had a new snow fall, but the temperatures are high enough that by mid morning, most of the signs were gone.  Snow fell above 8000 feet is some areas and 9000 feet in all areas.  This will probably be the last of the Moab shots since we depart tomorrow morning for Capitol Reef.

Hope you have enjoyed the photos.  I will probably post some more when we get to SW Utah.

Attachments

• Photo EscapesCRW_1787-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1787-01 (Small).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1792-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1792-01 (Small).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1796-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1796-01 (Small).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1801-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1801-01 (Small).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1802-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1802-01 (Small).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1806-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1806-01 (Small).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1809-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1809-01 (Small).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1816-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1816-01 (Small).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1817-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1817-01 (Small).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1830-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1830-01 (Small).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 23
Just a few more to finish up the La Sal Loop drive.

Attachments

• Photo EscapesCRW_1831-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1831-01 (Small).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1836-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1836-01 (Small).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1841-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1841-01 (Small).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1844-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1844-01 (Small).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 18
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1847-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1847-01 (Small).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1850-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1850-01 (Small).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1853-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1853-01 (Small).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1859-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1859-01 (Small).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1862-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1862-01 (Small).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1864-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1864-01 (Small).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 22
Well!!  This should rap it up.  If you don't like the photos, I'll cut back.

Attachments

• Photo EscapesCRW_1868-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1868-01 (Small).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1870-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1870-01 (Small).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1873-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1873-01 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1874-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1874-01 (Small).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo EscapesCRW_1878-01 (Small).jpg
    Photo EscapesCRW_1878-01 (Small).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 27
Jim Johnson said:
Ron,

Thanks a lot for the pics.? They made me miss not? being there even more.? ?:(

We sure missed you and Tarry. Will you be here next year??

Ron from Big D said:
... If you don't like the photos, I'll cut back.
Speaking personally, please don't stop the pictures. I have enjoyed each and every one of them from all contributors. They have showed me a whole new landscape, something I had never seen in all its complexity and variety. It has been a great journey and it has made me more than ever determined to one day see it for myself instead of through the eyes of this year's participants.

Now, how about the Framily at Moab making it even better by gathering all of the original sized photos and burning them into a Moab 06 CD/DVD so that we can see the pictures and the landscape in its fullest glory. That would be something to keep the heart warm as we head into winter downunder.

Just checking my maps and wondering if this picture is showing the RV Park where the Rally was held;
Google Maps showing Moab, UT
This does use a large chunk of bandwidth so please don't try this if you have a low speed connection

If not, could somebody please point the right camp out to me?

If anybody has some GPS Lat/Lons for me of some of the highlights shown in the pictures that would be really cool too.

Thanks, Ian

Coordinates for Portal RV Park from Google Earth (point to the office):
    <longitude>-109.5679889694023</longitude>
    <latitude>38.59192331428901</latitude>

Thanks Ned, that puts me in the right place, now, using Google Earth, would you be able to provide me with a KMZ file showing the various places referred to in the pictures?

That's a lot of places.  I really don't have the time to compile such a file, even if I knew how to create a KMZ file from GE.  I doubt that GE would give you much of a picture anyway.  You can easily locate all of the national parks from the appropriate web sites.  I would suggest starting at http://www.nps.gov/parks.html.

Ron   They are great    Never get tired of looking at fabulous pictures.

Ned said:
That's a lot of places.  I really don't have the time to compile such a file, even if I knew how to create a KMZ file from GE.
No problems. I just thought that as you have the GPS of some of the sites it might be easy to just plug them into GE. I can do that from this end if you have the locations listed into a file, if not, don't worry about it.  As you say, most of them would already have been marked. This message links to a point showing the site of the Indian Petroglyphs.
I doubt that GE would give you much of a picture anyway.  You can easily locate all of the national parks from the appropriate web sites.  I would suggest starting at http://www.nps.gov/parks.html.
Thanks I might head over there and take a look.

I did some research from links given within GE and found these quite neat photos:
http://moab.fotopic.net/p21075271.html
... the Colorado river flowing south west between the 900m foot mesas that form the portal at the north western end of the Moab valley.

http://moab.fotopic.net/p25022162.html
Heading north out of Moab, and past the Arches National Park visitor centre on highway 191, a road cutting exposes intense faulting in the damage zone of the southern end of the Moab Fault.

http://moab.fotopic.net/c715408_1.html
Photos taken from a Cessna flown out of Moab airstrip by Redtail aviation

I was also thinking of putting up a GE shot showing the turnoff and the park's bays. Perhaps one of the regulars might like to add numbers or directions etc to help those heading there in the future. Would there be any interest in that? Wasn't there something like that in the Library already?

Another couple photo taken during the walk along Park Avenue in Arches National Park during the Moab Rally.

Attachments

• Arches Nat PArk (Large).jpg
    Arches Nat PArk (Large).jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Arches 2 (Large).jpg
    Arches 2 (Large).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 31
Ron,

I really love Utah and the Moab area. If it weren't for the colder winters I'd probably move there. I just put one of my photos of Canyonlands on the desktop for my wallpaper. Sure did miss being there this year. We plan on being there for the '08 rally! Hope there's a spot for us.

Jim Dick said:
I really love Utah and the Moab area. If it weren't for the colder winters I'd probably move there.

You could always live in Utah from April through October and head south when the first flurries fly......

Hi Wendy,

You are correct. I guess the real reason is both kids are on the east coast, at the moment, and Grandma needs the Grandkids fix every so often. :) Don't know the tax structure for Utah but Florida is very favorable for Rvers. No tax on the coach or car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom