Questions about Hwy 101 California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55cruisers

We are planning our trip north from Los Angeles for late May.  We want to travel along Highway 101 north of San Francisco.  From what we can work out, it is best to cross from the I-5 at Wiliams onto the 20, meeting the 101 at Calpella.  We want to follow the 101 through to Oregon (199).  We are in a 30' C Class. 
Is this the best way to go?  Are the roads good?  Are there many boondocking spots along these routes?

Thanks for your input
Bert and Diane

The roads are all good - large trucks use Highway 101 all the time.  The only stretch that's even a little bit tight is a quarter mile or so going through Richardson Grove State Park where redwood trees grow right up alongside the pavement.  Take your time and you'll be fine. California Route 1 along the coast north of San Francisco is the road you want to avoid.

There's not much in the way of boondocking spots, but there are several state parks with rustic campgrounds (no hookups). 

There used to be a nice boondocking spot where the highway dips down to the ocean just south of Orick, but it was shut down several years ago after it became part of Redwoods National Park.  The only camping in the park itself is a small campground next to the Visitor's Center, but there is at least one private campground operating adjacent to the park.

Be sure to take the Avenue of the Giants north of Benbow.  It's the old two lane road through the redwood forest next to the river that was bypassed by the freeway.  Look for the large information sign on the side of the freeway shortly before the start of the drive.

We were thinking about Ave of Giants - would we make it in a 30 year young still going strong 36ft class a MH with a clearence of 11/12 feet? Are there are any steep grades up/out that way? Low clearance? Too tight to turn?

No problem, Avenue of the Giants is an easy drive.  You may even find some pull-outs large enough to take your rig.

Lou Schneider said:
The roads are all good - large trucks use Highway 101 all the time.  The only stretch that's even a little bit tight is a quarter mile or so going through Richardson Grove State Park where redwood trees grow right up alongside the pavement.  Take your time and you'll be fine. California Route 1 along the coast north of San Francisco is the road you want to avoid.

There's not much in the way of boondocking spots, but there are several state parks with rustic campgrounds (no hookups). 

There used to be a nice boondocking spot where the highway dips down to the ocean just south of Orick, but it was shut down several years ago after it became part of Redwoods National Park.  The only camping in the park itself is a small campground next to the Visitor's Center, but there is at least one private campground operating adjacent to the park.

Be sure to take the Avenue of the Giants north of Benbow.  It's the old two lane road through the redwood forest next to the river that was bypassed by the freeway.  Look for the large information sign on the side of the freeway shortly before the start of the drive.

I am curious as to why you mention to avoid Hwy 1 north of San Fran? Not sure when but in the next few years we are looking at continuing where we left off at Newport Oregon and travelling down 101/1 to LA. Not sure yet if we will stick with it the whole way or not yet but we were planning for at least a month as it looks like quite a drive and a lesson in patience. Any other stretches to avoid in a truck and fiver?

Thanks.

johndeere4955 said:
I am curious as to why you mention to avoid Hwy 1 north of San Fran?
Most of it is extremely curvy and very tiring and not real safe for large vehicles. Or even small ones. I try to avoid that area even on my motorcycles!

-Don-

South San Francisco, CA

johndeere4955 said:
I am curious as to why you mention to avoid Hwy 1 north of San Fran?
I don't know why he would say that either. I just drove it two years ago from SF to Crescent City in an 32 foot class A without any problems at all.

Hi Bert and Diane,  I don't know how the subject got on to Hwy 1.  We  have taken the way you are planning I-5 N to 20 W through Clear Lake over to 101 with no problems.  We have also taken I-5 N to Woodland, then 16 NW up to 20 W, to 101 N when we had our 30' MH towing a toad again with no problems.  Dick nvrver

We have taken CA-20 from CA-101 over to I-5 a couple of times while towing our car. We have also taken 101 North into Oregon with no problems. Have fun and enjoy the redwoods as you travel north.

The only time of year that Highway 101 north of Calpella can be a problem is during and after heavy rains.  Unfortunately (for California) not a problem this year so far, but fortunate for your trip planning.  In heavy rain years there are areas prone to rock slides and mudslides onto the highway.  In May all should be well.  Highway 101 south of Ukiah goes through one of Northern California's premier wine growing regions, the Alexander Valley in Mendocino County.  There are opportunities to stop and taste at large wineries and small family-type wineries.

SeilerBird said:
I don't know why he would say that either. I just drove it two years ago from SF to Crescent City in an 32 foot class A without any problems at all.
How many cars were on your tail? I have seen RV's there, but in some parts, around 50 cars behind it all wishing they will be able to pass. And not much chance of that.

Unless something has changed in the last 10 years or so.

-Don-  SSF, CA

DonTom said:
How many cars were on your tail? I have seen RV's there, but in some parts, around 50 cars behind it all wishing they will be able to pass. And not much chance of that.

Unless something has changed in the last 10 years or so.
I drive very slow and I rarely had to pull over to let anyone pass. I had the road almost to myself. I always pull over if I have 5 cars behind me but it rarely happens.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and help.  Now we feel confident to do the 101 (including the Avenue of the Giants.  And also to avoid Hwy 1.

Bert and Diane

So many conversations on the forum seem to confuse Highway 101 with Highway 1.  These are two VERY different highways.  Some adrenaline jockeys love to pound on their chests and recommend Highway 1 above SF.  (In real life that would be above Bodega Bay or Jenner.)  Those of us who have lived in the vicinity would prefer that these road jockeys stay home!  Saves the tow truck drivers and the fireman a lot of time.)  Highway 101 north of Santa Rosa will provide a safe, enjoyable, trip through beautiful country (including the redwoods and premier wine country).  Why risk the driver's blood pressure if he can't see anything anyway because he has to concentrate on the road ahead?  Lived in this area for years and cannot fathom why an RVer would choose Highway 1 over 101.

Tom and Margi said:
Lived in this area for years and cannot fathom why an RVer would choose Highway 1 over 101.
I have driven both many times and I much prefer 1 because it is about 100 times more beautiful than 101. I have never understood why people think 1 is so hard to drive.

Lived in this area for years and cannot fathom why an RVer would choose Highway 1 over 101.

Maybe because it is a unique vista that few get the chance to see? I think any discussion of this sort needs to take into account the limitations of the person seeking advice and what their overall objectives are.  Someone who is looking to get from point "A" to point "B" with the least amount of stress is a whole different animal from someone who is trying to squeeze as much of life as he can into the time he has left on earth.  Unfortunately, as is so true to a lot of discussions on this forum, most discussions seem to follow the "my way or the highway" path.

You grew up on the coast of California near Ventura.  I'm a native, too.  It's a given that you might have the expertise to drive Highway 1 north of Bodega Bay.  Should we recommend this route on the forum to RVers who have not driven anything similar to this highway which has endless curves, limited visibility around curves, and is subject to periodically crumbling into the ocean?  I would hope someone from a different area of the country would alert me to a hazardous condition in their part of the country which I might stumble into unaware.  All of us RVers are not risk takers and would prefer to enjoy the many treasures of this vast country in relative confort and safety. 

Sloop said:
Maybe because it is a unique vista that few get the chance to see? I think any discussion of this sort needs to take into account the limitations of the person seeking advice and what their overall objectives are.  Someone who is looking to get from point "A" to point "B" with the least amount of stress is a whole different animal from someone who is trying to squeeze as much of life as he can into the time he has left on earth.  Unfortunately, as is so true to a lot of discussions on this forum, most discussions seem to follow the "my way or the highway" path.

I see your point and I understand.  I would hope you could understand mine.  Those of us who have lived close to these "squeeze as much life into your time on earth" venues get mighty tired of pulling people out of jams they should have been smarter than to get into in the first place.

I don't see where it takes any expertise to drive highway one, you just drive slowly in the twisty parts. If you want to drive it fast then it isn't going to happen. I drove highway 1 from San Diego to Crescent City two years ago and remembering these previous similar conversations I must have said a hundred times that people must be thinking of a different highway than the one I was driving. Going to the Sun is a scary highway, PCH is a piece of cake if you go slow. Yes, I recommend it to anyone since it doesn't take talent to drive slowly.

I just checked the map, and it shows 101 going through Crescent City, not Highway 1, unless Highway 1 is hiding somewhere. Highway 101 is fine all the way. 

The scary part of Highway 1 is from Fort Bragg north, especially where it cuts through the redwoods to where it meets up with Highway 101.  I did it in a brand new 32' Class C and never, ever again.  It is not only curvy, but very narrow.  It is hard in a big vehicle not to go outside of your lane in a very tight turn, but often you had no sight-line for oncoming vehicles.  In addition, there were big empty lumber trucks barreling down and around curves at a very high speed.  There is just no shoulder and no where to go in an emergency.  In addition, if a redwood is too close to the roadway, they just paved around it, so in a few places, the road is even narrower. 

I have driven Highway 1 north of Bodega Bay to Salt Point, and it was not as bad as the area north of Fort Bragg, although still curvy. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom