ABOUT to buy 2006 R-Vision Maxlite 30BHS Help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bencissell

New to this forum.  I am about to buy a 2006 Rvision Maxlite 30BHS.  Is this a good travel trailer?  I have a 2003 Silverado with 5.3 and tow package.  I have a family of four.

We want to start the RV adventure.  My boys are 6 and 9.  Is this a good camper?  And do I need to be aware of Anything?

If it has the floor plan you like and has been maintained, it's a good trailer.  They all have issues....even the new ones.  You'll be fixing things.  It's just the cost of admission.

First things first....what's the GROSS weight of the trailer (not DRY weight).  Second, what is your truck rated to pull?  Consider engine, transmission, and rear gear ratio.  "Tow package" can mean many things...it may just mean a hitch, lighting, and transmission cooler.  You need to know specifically what it can tow safely.

Ensure that the truck's rating exceeds the gross weight of the trailer.  We like to allow a 10-20% buffer if you tow in the mountains....ie if the truck is rated at 10K lbs of  towing, keep it under 8000.  Flat landers can get away with slightly more.

Happy shopping.  :)

PS...few if any of us get it right the first time.  Look at as many units as time allows before signing on the dotted line.  Make 3 lists...

1.  What it must have.
2.  What it cannot have
3.  What would be nice to have.

Don't deviate from lists 1&2 or you will be unhappy later.  Get as much of list #3 as you can.  Spend an hour with it and see how everything fits.....bed, bathroom, galley, everything.  If you find something that sets off an alarm in your head, keep shopping.  Also, look for signs of water intrusion....ie...discolored ceiling or wall panels, bulges, etc.

RVision Travel Trailers may be a product of AVS which is the parent company of Monoco.  If not mistaken they recently totally shut down production of all of their Travel Trailer divisions in Mid Production and intend to focus solely on the Motorized segment of the industry.  Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.  This could lead to parts and accessory issues in the future.

keocera said:
This could lead to parts and accessory issues in the future.

Other than body specific parts, I don't really see an issue....at least not anything that can't be overcome.  It's just a box on wheels full of furniture and appliances, all of which are made by a handful of manufacturers. 

You are right, keocera. However, it is pretty much a non-issue since all the major components are industry standard and things like walls and roofs are repairable anywhere.

That trailer has a gross weight rating of 7400 lbs. We need to know specs on the truck, ie 4wd , crew cab or extended cab, box length,  rear axle ratio. You can look the tag on drivers door area and it wil tell you  gcvw rating and cargo capacity. I found out wheel size seems to make a difference too. The difference in my trucks rating between 18 or 20  inch wheels is 500 lbs. I have a f150 pulling close to the same trailer and I am 50lbs over the cargo weght rating because I have 20 wheels. Keep in mind 15 to 20 percent of the trailers weight will be on ball.  Chip

We had a 2004 R-Vision product, and it was great!  Sold it in 2011, and the folks that bought it are still happily using it.  I believe the purchase by Monaco was after this particular TT was built, but I could me mistaken!

I'm looking at buying one of these now- same year and model. I noticed above that Frizlefrak said there are problems. What are some of the problems specific to this rv? And any suggestions of what to look for upon inspection?

If it has the floor plan you like and has been maintained, it's a good trailer. They all have issues....even the new ones. You'll be fixing things. It's just the cost of admission.

First things first....what's the GROSS weight of the trailer (not DRY weight). Second, what is your truck rated to pull? Consider engine, transmission, and rear gear ratio. "Tow package" can mean many things...it may just mean a hitch, lighting, and transmission cooler. You need to know specifically what it can tow safely.

Ensure that the truck's rating exceeds the gross weight of the trailer. We like to allow a 10-20% buffer if you tow in the mountains....ie if the truck is rated at 10K lbs of towing, keep it under 8000. Flat landers can get away with slightly more.

Happy shopping. :)

PS...few if any of us get it right the first time. Look at as many units as time allows before signing on the dotted line. Make 3 lists...

1. What it must have.
2. What it cannot have
3. What would be nice to have.

Don't deviate from lists 1&2 or you will be unhappy later. Get as much of list #3 as you can. Spend an hour with it and see how everything fits.....bed, bathroom, galley, everything. If you find something that sets off an alarm in your head, keep shopping. Also, look for signs of water intrusion....ie...discolored ceiling or wall panels, bulges, etc.
I'm looking at buying one of these now- same year and model. @Frizlefrak I noticed you said there are problems. What are some of the problems specific to this rv? And any suggestions of what to look for upon inspection?

RVision Travel Trailers may be a product of AVS which is the parent company of Monoco. If not mistaken they recently totally shut down production of all of their Travel Trailer divisions in Mid Production and intend to focus solely on the Motorized segment of the industry. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken. This could lead to parts and accessory issues in the future.
It is extremely rare anyone ever needs parts or accessories from the factory.

I have an R-Vision 26' with slide and IMO it is very well constructed. As mentioned any RV will have little quirks but nothing major to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom