11foot8.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerE

I'm not sure if this website has been referenced before, but it is worth a look by everyone who drives a motorhome or hauls a trailer.  The website is 11foot8.com and has numerous videos of trucks and campers that ignored the warning signs and challenged an 11 foot 8 inch clearance railroad bridge.  Spoiler alert - the bridge wins every time. 

I have seen a few of those.. And I've seen a few.. Up close in Living Color as they say (Actually been on the scene).  Sometimes it is minor damage, Sometimes they have to reset the bridge, sometimes the truck looks kind of like a can of sardines where the lit has been rolled back.

And sometimes it is a major mess of major proportions. 

From the site:
Can?t the road be lowered?

That would be prohibitively expensive because a sewer main runs just a few feet below the road bed.

I call b.s. on that. This is simply a case of shifting the cost of building adequate highways onto others, typical in a state that takes pride in being "low tax." If the sewer line is too high to lower the road, standard practice is to lower the sewer line and install a lift station. It is not the fault of the railroad as railroads have legal status over highways; that's just the way it is. But shifting the blame around is about par.

That is a state I do everything I can NOT to spend money in or stay overnight, motel or camping. Filthy rooms, few amenities in SPs.

They put up signs, and there is a clearance sign on the bridge, and warnign signs all over.. one system in Austraula if an overheight vehicle gets too close it fires up a waterfall and projects a giant STOP sign on it.

And still they crash.

In Battle Creek, MI there is a railroad bridge... It's a low one (I forget how low) I have seen a cement mixer (ready mix truck) with a big dent in the mixer where it hit the bridge.. I've seen a mobile feed mill (Farm Service, grinds animal feed) that was a bit shorter after passing under the bridge.

The local Wast Management company has a policy.
ANY of their employees seen taking a company vehicle. EVEN a supervisor's CAR, under that bridge... Gets to look for new work starting soon as they get him back to the office/yard to drop off the vehicle.

And still they crash.

It is up to the driver to know how tall the ride is.

This is proof positive that stupid people should not breed.  The sign is in English, this is the US and if you don't know how tall your truck or camper is you shouldn't be driving it.  Just like you don't drive 40 in a school zone you don?t drive a 11?8? or taller vehicle under this bridge.  Does the community have to move the school because of the neuron deprived?  No! So the they don?t need to lower the road or raise the bridge. Think about it.  Now on the other hand this was a good laugh for the day.

/\  Yeah, there should be no regulations on anything of any sort. Stupid and weak people should simply die... broke. And before they have time to breed.

We have a RR bridge near us that gets hit almost every month despite the many No Trucks, No Commercial Vehicles, and huge low bridge signs and flashing warning lights.
Two years ago a double decker tour bus drove into it killing four people sitting in the upper deck.

I have the low bridge app on my GPS.  Works OK but not a replacement for paying attention.

Edit - Added App link for a GPS - www.lowclearances.com

Dan23 said:
/\  Yeah, there should be no regulations on anything of any sort. Stupid and weak people should simply die... broke. And before they have time to breed.
Who said anything about not needing any rules or regulations?  We as a species is one of the most self destructive on the planet.  Basic rules and regulations is what we have to keep that destructive nature in check.  How ever, no matter how hard you try there are always those that think they don't have to play by the rules and when they get themselves hurt blame it on anything or anyone but themselves.  If the sign says don't enter then you don't enter, if the cup says "HOT" don't hold it between your legs and if the bridge is to low, don't go under it.  Those are the basic rules, simple and easy if they use just 2% of what God put on their shoulders.  As to your statement about the stupid should just die you need to get a grip.  They die at some point and it will by their own accord but unfortunately they take innocent people with them.  Ever watch 1000 ways to die on Spike TV?  Proof is in the pudding.

good post, Ken.
  Folks are talking about getting an APP for your smartphone.... Would you trust the APP more than your own sanity ? I wouldn't for a minute. Thousands of  under underpasses  in the US... are they all listed ? Who wrote the APP..maybe one can sue them when things don't pan out.
Just venting a little bit.

The nice thing about the low clearances app for the GPS is you can set it for your height and a predetermined distance before you see the signs.  In many cases it gives you time to exit or change your route.  Does not happen often but there's a few around here that don't warn you ahead of time and if you don't know it's ahead, when you get to the bridge you have to pull over and try to turn around or back up.  Not always fun.

kenb1023 said:
Who said anything about not needing any rules or regulations?  We as a species is one of the most self destructive on the planet.  Basic rules and regulations is what we have to keep that destructive nature in check.  How ever, no matter how hard you try there are always those that think they don't have to play by the rules and when they get themselves hurt blame it on anything or anyone but themselves.  If the sign says don't enter then you don't enter, if the cup says "HOT" don't hold it between your legs and if the bridge is to low, don't go under it.  Those are the basic rules, simple and easy if they use just 2% of what God put on their shoulders.  As to your statement about the stupid should just die you need to get a grip.  They die at some point and it will by their own accord but unfortunately they take innocent people with them.  Ever watch 1000 ways to die on Spike TV?  Proof is in the pudding.

Um, my wold view does not come from Spike TV.

As for cups that say "hot," you should review your information.

Sticking to the topic at hand: If any highway feature or situation is resulting in accidents with the possibility of serious injury or death, then that situation needs further remediation. That's a simple, effective process which has served the world for hundreds of years and moribund Tea Party dogma changes nothing.

"If any highway feature or situation is resulting in accidents with the possibility of serious injury or death, then that situation needs further remediation."

So if an accident happens because of heavy rain on a flat level road we need to fix (remediate) the road, not tell people to slow down? Instead of signs warning that highway overpasses get icy before other roadways, we need to remediate the roads and put heaters in the overpass so they don't freeze.

I don't think we need more Nanny state. A little bleach in the gene pool is a good thing every now and again.

Ken

Sticking to the topic at hand: If any highway feature or situation is resulting in accidents with the possibility of serious injury or death, then that situation needs further remediation. That's a simple, effective process which has served the world for hundreds of years and moribund Tea Party dogma changes nothing.
Pull up your pants, your politics are showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom