What kind of drop hitch is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I finally removed an old rusty drop hitch that was on my Winnebago Adventurer when I bought it.  I am not sure what it is but it is pretty rusty and has a master cylinder at the back of the drop portion of the hitch with a tube leading to the side of the bottom receiver.  There is pressure on the retaining pin making it hard to get the ball mount out.  I will try to post a photo but have had no luck with that yet this morning.  Third try at this post.  Anybody know what I am describing (if the photo does not appear?).  Note:  I did reduce the size of the photo to web acceptable size so I hope it comes through.

Attachments

• Robot Drop Hitch -1.jpg
    Robot Drop Hitch -1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 111
Never seen anything like that but it is a Surge Brake.  The master cylinder at the rear is compressed by the towed pressing against the hitch and via the fitting next to the hitch it operates a slave cylinder in the towed vehicle to apply the brakes.. Kind of like the Ready Brake, but, I suspect, Hydraulic.

I see a potentioal issue with this type of system (Air in the line) but otherwise it solves the cable binding issue the Ready Brake has.

I suggest spraying it down well with PB-Blaster or Cyclo Break-Away letting it sit and spraying it again, let it sit some more then try to get it apart.

option 2 is a bit more forceful.

May have been "home Brewed".

Possibility of it being a shock absorbing hitch.
Looks maybe home made.
Carefully loosening the resivour cap or a line fitting may releive some pressure on the "frozen" pin.

No, it is a surge brake, I say this because there is a hydraulic (Brake) line from the rear of the master cylinder to the side of the drop hitch with a quick disconnect.

The problem I have with this set up is air in the line, I see no way to properly blead it less there was a valve and bleed fitting on the slave's line.

Well I tackled the beast this afternoon and it definitely is some type of surge brake but it hasn't 'surged' in years.  I managed to unbolt the master cylinder and remove it.  Then I severed the hydraulic line and disposed of the cylinder.  The rod which actuated the cylinder is screwed into the end of the tube and, after I removed the cylinder, I got the hitch pin out too which allowed me to remove the ball and the sleeve it is attached to.  Looking at the side of the  slide, you can see a notch about 1 inch long and a hole inside that notch through which the hitch pin fit.  I assumed these were two pieces at one time but nothing slides anymore - probably because the two components have been welded together at the back end where the rod to the cylinder is.  Even I am getting confused writing this.  Anyway, I still have a lot of excess baggage left on the end and am considering just deep sixing the whole thing, especially since it does not quite drop the distance I need anyway.  It drops about 5 inches and I need 6 inches to get me within decent leveling distance with the toad.  Been interesting dissecting it though.

If it is a surge brake with a master cylinder it is illegal to use. You can't have a connection between tow vehicle and hydraulic brakes on trailer or toad. You could argue it's not a connection between brake systems but you would likely lose in court. The point of the law is no hydraulic lines between vehicles. You sure its not an old lever shock absorber with a missing remote reservior? It's probably very old, maybe it was on Lucy and Desi's rig waaay back in the day.

Bill

driftless shifter said:
If it is a surge brake with a master cylinder it is illegal to use. You can't have a connection between tow vehicle and hydraulic brakes on trailer or toad. You could argue it's not a connection between brake systems but you would likely lose in court. The point of the law is no hydraulic lines between vehicles. You sure its not an old lever shock absorber with a missing remote reservior? It's probably very old, maybe it was on Lucy and Desi's rig waaay back in the day.

Bill

The old guy (82) I bought the rig from told me straight out - "That don't work." when I looked at it underneath.  But he did have a previous motorhome from over 20 years ago so it is possible this thing is a relic from the past ages.  It has been interesting dissecting it and I will eventually cut off the excess garbage, repaint it and use it for a spare.  Bought a 6" drop receiver on Amazon last night.  If all works out, that will be the last absolutely significant expense I will have in completing the toad hookup (counting the repair charges for the Patriot brake system that arrived damaged in shipment.) Free (from expense) at last, at last.

halfwright said:
If you have an RV, you are never free from expense.

So true.  I meant to say - free from known coming expense such as buying the coach, paying the registration and sales taxes, setting up for towing (including buying the vehicle).  So from now on, it is the unexpected expenses and, from past experience, there will be plenty of those, especially with a 12 year old vehicle that has zero warranties left.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom