Cleaning up after your pet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

startingover

I work/camp at an RV Park. I live here. I have a dog. I clean up directly behind her. I just watched some recent arrivals with absolutely handsome german shepherds potty their dogs and leave it. UGH and SIGH.
I waited about 15 minutes to see if maybe one of the 4 adults would come back with a bag. No one did. I am obligated by a responsibility to the park manager and my dog to walk over and politely remind them to, so I did. I was REALLY polite and even complimented them on how beautiful their dogs are..sincerely, because they are.
Then I watched. They did not, that I could see, pick it up. I haven't gone over to check the ground as it occurs to me that they may be of the mind that leaving it for a bit kind of gives the dog the idea that this will be the potty spot next time, since their smell is there. I agree with that philosophy..but it doesn't really work in a campground.
Now, having said that, I also notified the manager that I approached the campers. It turns out they just happened to be in the office at the time. I hope it's not overkill..I wish we didn't have to talk to or bother them at all.
It's a problem every year. The truth is, if you don't clean up after your pet, we have to eventually. We won't leave it. We won't penalize you. But, if you're grown enough to buy all of this expensive RV stuff, you can bend over after your pet and take your poo with you. PLEASE. Thank you. It's just the decent thing to do.

It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else. I'm sure we have some of them registered in this Forum so please pick up after your pets and be a responsible RV'r.  Would you like it if someone let their dog relieve themselves at your door and you just happen to walk out barefooted? Wouldn't be pretty but if may knock some sense in  you. JUST THINK!!!

Irresponsible pet owners just tick me off.  There are people in my neighborhood who think that their dogs' poop does not need picking up.  Big dogs, little dogs, doesn't matter.  The ones that REALLY kill me are the ones who put the poop in plastic bags and then LEAVE IT THERE for someone else to pick up.  Now, would you throw an EMPTY plastic bag on your neighbor's yard?  No, of course not, but I guess it is okay to leave a plastic bag of dog poop in their yard.  It's just the polite thing to do.

I think I would be a bit more firm with those people.  Pick up your dog's mess, or you may pack your stuff and leave. NOW!

It's tempting to be "firm"...as you describe. But we are also in the business of customer service. I'll leave the tongue lashing/evictions to the manager. I do find that most people will comply once they're gently confronted, mostly because it's embarrassing to get caught.  ;).
These days picking up after your pet is a big thing and they've certainly heard of it..but some try to get away with it out of laziness. It is posted by the office, in the dog run and in the rules.
Unfortunately for them there are also 8 campworkers here and more coming (hopefully), so even though we aren't trying to spy, we do notice.
Our job it the comfort and enjoyment for EVERYONE while they're here with us, including your pets. No one is excluded from the rules, not even us.

Your post won't make a bit of difference to those irresponsible dog owners who don't pick up after their dogs because they don't give a, well, poop. Those of us who do pick up are already in the choir.

Another here, here.  Maybe someone who has been lax in their responsibilities will read this and start doing the right thing.

I hope so Pepper3. I really was just kind of ranting. In the meantime we will continue to remind campers who are caught to clean up. I was reading another forum page some time ago where some parks charge a fine if people don't and even reward "tattlers" who report other campers. Not sure how I feel about that, but we won't be doing anything like that.

The last campsite we stayed at had plenty of bags and barrels for poop pickup.  One of the RVs had 3 dogs, and walked them just outside of the gate to let them poop.  What a mess.  I faithfully pick up after my dog, so it irritates me.  I bagged up several poops and left the bags on their site.  Still didn't help, and the management didn't care.

Let me assure you elliot-maine, some management won't share the outcome. Some parks won't rerent to the campers who do that..we might talk to campers in person or on the phone, sometimes after they leave and try to come back, we say no.
Sometimes management cares, but as professionals, you just don't know about it.
But you're right, at some parks, they do nothing, but not all.
The same goes for trash and/or cigarette butts left behind all over.

elliott-maine said:
The last campsite we stayed at had plenty of bags and barrels for poop pickup.  One of the RVs had 3 dogs, and walked them just outside of the gate to let them poop.  What a mess.  I faithfully pick up after my dog, so it irritates me.  I bagged up several poops and left the bags on their site.  Still didn't help, and the management didn't care.
I would take them (the Poop) and dump it on everyone of theirs steps.

I agree posting here will do no good except for you to have a place to vent. It's quite simply because those type of people feel the rules don't apply to them. Fortunately 99.9% of us do comply happily and when you meet some of ?those? folks you know it right away. I keep a roll of bags on every one of our leashes and there are no excuses for not picking it up. It?s not like their dogs just surprised them by going to the bathroom! Some CG do have some pretty strict rules for dogs and those people are exactly the reason why. There is no reason the mgr should not go over to their site and ask them to comply or leave.

As a dog owner, I could not agree more with the OP and others in this thread. Failure to pick up after one's dog is a constant problem where I am currently living. I am not at all bashful about making my view clear to those who do not pick up. Like other recent scatological threads, it is disgusting and unhygenic. As a last resort, pick it up and put it on their property. "Here, you lost this."

O.K., I'm going to restate my case. There are many things in life that we, as a group, may dislike or dispute. Politics is a huge one I won't touch on in this forum. But if no one tries to correct or modify these situations they will continue to go on. You just can't turn your back and hope it goes away. Poop or politics (sometimes they get confused), speak up! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ::)

Dan23 said:
As a last resort, pick it up and put it on their property. "Here, you lost this."
Ha ha ha. Don't think we haven't thought of that. So far just approaching campers and reminding them or handing them a bag has worked. Yes, we get scowls for the rest of their stay..but oh well. Our office manager and park manager and not as gentle. They've been here longer than my sister and I, and are more hardened.
I understand that some have been asked to leave, but so far I haven't seen that during my stay.

we had a neighbor who let their dog out to poop, it pooped on our site several times. I asked them politely to clean it up and they did once. next two times I cleaned up the mess and put it by the door of his truck. they knew it was me- no more poop and he got to clean his shoes. it is so easy to clean up after your pet.

It's always a few who can't be responsible adults enough to be courteous that gets things banned, shut down and off limits for EVERYONE.

This is a relevant post for me. This spring, I head out back east to become a first time campground host. This is one question I have asked myself. I have been at this current park for the past 5 months and see this happen all the time. Most of the offenders are one night stay-overs. Maybe because they have no intention of returning? Many times I pick up others' "gifts", because I don't like disrespecting the owners' wishes. I will follow the advice  of approaching the campers when I see it and politely ask them to take care of it. I'm sure this will apply to any infraction I might witness. I don't want to be a hard a$$, but I don't want to turn a blind eye either. You can catch more bees with honey, than you can with vinegar. It should be an interesting summer.

When camp hosting at Desth Valley, I always carried extra 'poop' bags with me. If I saw someone's dog doing its business and the owners didn't appear ready to immediately take care of it, I would pull out a bag and cheerfully ask "Hi there. Do you need a bag?" Only once did I have a person say that he didn't 't plan on picking it up because "she's just a little dog." I said I'd rather not step in dog poop, little or big, and picked it up myself. Was hoping it shamed him into picking up the next deposit but don't know.

Desertfront said:
It's always a few who can't be responsible adults enough to be courteous that gets things banned, shut down and off limits for EVERYONE.

/\ This.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom