Buy New or Used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosco

We have just sold our 29 foot travel trailer and are in the market for a Pop Up. I have been looking at trailers no older than 1997. I am interested if there is certain items to keep an eye on as far as older used trailers go. Am I better to go with a newer unit and pay a little more or are the older used ones still a good investment. Any input is appreciated.

All the systems in any trailer approaching 10 years old needs to be looked at carefully. For a pop-up, I would be especially concerned about the fabric of the pull-outs and the pop-up roof (if not a hard top model). Could be an expensive repair. Also assume you will have to replace the tires if the trailer is over 5 years old.  I would also look closely at the wheel bearings - many people forget that they need lubrication at least annually.

Thanks for the response. I am fine with tires, bearings etc as I am a mechanic. I just was curious as to the structure and how well they stand up over time. I have been considering Coleman, Jayco and Starcraft. Any opinions on these or others I should consider as far as a quality of build standpoint goes?

I haven't owned or used a pop-up in 30 years, so I'll let someone with more current experience give make & model advice. All of those brnads you mentioned have pretty good brand reputations and we hear a lot from people with Coleman and Starcraft pop-ups. "Popular" doesn't necessarily equate to "quality", but it gives you an idea what other people think.

As a past owner of a 1999 Spacestar Starcraft, I swear by Starcraft.  I sold mine still in the best of condition to upgrade to more space for growing kids and outdoor use (we bought a Starcraft 36RT).  I think one thing to consider is how much the unit has been used that you are purchasing.  Any pop up you buy is only as good as it has been used.  If it's been setting for awhile, it's difficult to tell what issues you may be looking at.  In my opinion, Starcraft makes a quality product.

One thing that I have learned about pop-ups is that the type of canvas can vary.  The newer style canvas is like a vinyl-coated fabric as opposed to the older-style waterproofed canvas fabric like tents used to be made out of.  The vinyl coated fabric retains its waterproofing capability whereas the older canvas needs to be re-treated from time to time and if you touch it from the inside when it is raining, you can start a drip.  I would think that the vinyl coating is also less prone to moisture retention and therefore more mildew resistant.  Even when it does get wet, it dries out quickly.  I have the newer style canvas and it cleans up easily and I only have to apply waterproofing treatments to the seams (I just do this as a precautionary measure - not because I have had problems  with leakage).

Thanks for all your replies. I have located a 2005 Starcraft 2407 at a reasonable price and I am going to look at in 4 days. It is said to be in new condition and no deffects to speak of. Does anyone know of any inherant problems with this particular model and year? Hoe are the roofs on this model for taking a bike rack, and any leakage problems? Again thanks everyone for responding and if there doesn't seem to be any negative feedback I hope to have a deal by the end of the week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom