Hawaii RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMan508

Try not to laugh, but has anyone ever looked into exploring any of the Hawaiian islands via a rented RV? There are no ferry services between islands.

-Eric

Island RV Hawaii has rentals on Hawaii only. They also make your reservations at the very few places you can RV.

I have not heard of any other RVs available in the Islands.

I have been to all four of the islands and I would never do them in an RV. There just aren't enough roads and campgrounds. A rental car and a hotel room is a better option. And driving on their freeways there is a nightmare. Those people do not know how to drive on a freeway.

I had the good fortune of mooching off of my baby brother as he and he wife lived in Hawaii for a few years.  He had been stationed there in the Army and decided to go back after he was married.  We drove by an "RV Park" on one of the islands (probably Oahu) and you couldn't have paid me enough to have stayed there.  It was nasty and scary.

Driving there is torturous as the road names and signs are not easy, people are not particularly polite, and it seems they must not require drivers to pass any sort of knowledge or skills tests in order to get a license.

I would not want to do Hawaii by RV.

Mom and Dad RVed Hawaii back around 1980 in a rental. Back then, you could just park in the state parks overnight. They loved it. And they did have Hawaii filled in on their RV travels map. I'd love to it some day.

EMan508 said:
Try not to laugh, but has anyone ever looked into exploring any of the Hawaiian islands via a rented RV? There are no ferry services between islands.

-Eric
After living there for about 3yrs (84-87) I would think only a class B would make much sense and even then it would be pretty restrictive.

Back
Top Bottom