Lippert Frames still causing issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

invmartyc

I have been reading over the past few years about all the problems people have been having with Lippert frames. Is this still going on? Why would an RV manufacturer use such a frame because they cannot be saving enough money for the trouble.

I wish there was a list of manufacturers who use these frames that people can reference to in order to keep away from them.

It would be far easier to try and come up with a list of manufacturers who do not use Lippert frames.  But you do have to remember, Lippert only assembles the frames designed by the  trailer builder.  They do not design the frames.  And it is up to the manufacturer to ensure that each frame they receive from Lippert to be welded correctly.  Which a lot of them do not.  But the bottom line is...... Most of the problems in the past seem to have been corrected somewhere in the whole process.

I suspect Lippert is the low bidder on the many components it supplies to trailer manufacturers. And there isn't a lot of competition either.  As long as the frames , etc. last long enough to survive the one year warranty that most trailers have, they are satisfied.

Donn:  Are you sure that Lippert does not design the frames? Normally a mfr. would spec dimensions but the engineering would be done by Lippert. I have a really bad internet connection right now but I have been to their website and they tout their engineering. It seems that everything Lippert touches is problematic. I think Lippert is Swahili for "junk". Nothing wrong with farming out some manufacturing to other companies. The auto industry does this as do many others. But one would think that with the Lippert reputation manufacturers would look elsewhere. If you go to Escapees there are some photos of the 5th wheel frames.  Really bad construction. Almost impossible to fix.

I wish there was a list of manufacturers who use these frames that people can reference to in order to keep away from them.
I would suspect any list of RV manufacturers that some one says to stay away from simply because it has a Lippert frame or any ones frame.

As Donn says every thing I've read points to Lippert and those manufacturers of product lines that had issues  had a redesign of the main frame/suspension requirements by the RV manufacturers.

We don't see issues in the last year or so with new units with broken frame/suspension components like was coming off the assy line a few years back. Now I'm not suggesting their will no more issues but I would say that about any manufacturers frame. Over time even the best of frames can and has had issues.

Northwood Manufacturing (Arctic Fox, Nash, Desert Fox, Snow River, Fox Mountain) builds their own frames and has an independent lab certify the design.

From another forum:There are those who believe that Lippert only builds what they are told to by the "customers" -I have a bridge in Brooklyn for them.  Lippert builds Chassis.  They are most likely given general specifications as to dimensions and capacities, but ultimately the "supposed" weight ratings for the chassis are the responsibility of the chassis manufacturer and are printed on Lippert's own affixed labels.

In the case of my brother's Keystone Laredo, the main structural members attaching the pinbox to the trailer were 25% less in thickness that what Keystone told him they were suppose to be.  The weld didn't fail, but instead, the tube ripped apart right beside the weld.  He kept that piece of box tube for a couple of years and showed everyone he ran across.

Document Everything!!!  Photographs (video is better), weight receipts, etc. 

Fact:  If a manufacturer in ANY other industry had a structural failure rate even a fraction of Lippert's there would be massive recalls.

Ultimately it should be the manufacturer, in the case Lippert, who has a competent engineering staff capable of  inspecting plans and determine their feasibility.  My worthless GM stock certificate is a testament  to what happens when accountants engineer products.  Apparently, the RV industry is in need of more government oversight. A nice place to start would be a version of the Monroney sticker, at least the questions of MSRP would be answered.   

The large number of failures I see attributed to things made by Lippert Components certainly gives me pause. As do the serious types of failures I see described.  However, just the fact that they supply so many RV manufacturers with so many different components could lead to a highly visible volume of problem reports.

Lippert continues to gobble up competitors. Jayco used a small company to build its trailer frames, but they got bought up by Dexter Axle. Then Dexter decided to concentrate on their core business, so sold the frame unit to Lippert and now Jaycos have Lippert frames. Jayco specs the size, weight capacity and type of frame desired, but they don't "design" it - Lippert's engineers do that. And then Lippert's factories fabricate the frame to the design once Jayco accepts it.

Al-Ko is a major axle, brake & slide mechanism supplier and also a major frame builder in its home European market. They are looking to expand their US market share, so maybe we will see more trailers with Al-Ko frames in the future.

Thor and Forest River also use the Lippert frames. What I cannot understand is that this is not new. There were reports in 2010( maybe even earlier) yet the problem persists. If I were the trailer mfr. I would be looking elsewhere. It hurts your reputation and adds to warranty costs. I doubt it would cost more than $200 extra to make them properly in the first place. Lippert does not make any frames for the high end units. Or at least I don't think they do! There are 5th wheels and TT's that are 30 years old still going down the road and I don't ever remember the frames being a problem. I wonder if they do some frame modifications for Thor class A's?? In my youth I worked for a company in Canada that made trailer frames for horse and travel trailers. We sometimes had axle problems or bad springs but the frames are so simple it was not hard to make them right. Owners should report these problems to NHTSA. Maybe they could be recalled.

Ultimately it should be the manufacturer, in the case Lippert, who has a competent engineering staff capable of  inspecting plans and determine their feasibility.
Lippert has no idea what the trailer  mfg is going to use the frame for. If I had a frame issue I'm falling down on the trailer manufacturer as their the ones responsible for seeing the frame is to their specs and is good to go for their customers.
Now if the frame builder has cut corners from the RV mfg specs then they become liable for repairs which Lippert has done in many cases.

Bad deal all around for the customer with Lippert and the RV mfg pointing fingers at each other in many cases.

During an inquiry with Lippert I remember the person making the comment that Heartland (OEM MFG) had engineered the chassis and Lippert just assembled it.  That didn't make sense to me, especially if Lippert is liable for the warranty on the chassis.  I'm still on the fence on what to believe.  My year is up so it doesn't matter now. 

The inquiry was about axle and rim flex during a turn.  Everytime I back into my driveway it looks like the wheels are going to pop off like some cartoon drawing. 

Does Lippert only make frames for 5th wheels or TTs as well..

This just ups the stress of the search..

Both, but... the problems mentioned most likely related to 5th wheels. The welds of the upper front part were troublesome I believe....

My 2005 Cardinal has had frame cracks on both sides behind the wheels.  It has also broke a (too thin) welded spring shackle stranding me on a trip.  Other suspension components were found to be a problem waiting to happen.  I bought this trailer new and it has not been abused.

Lippert and Cardinal both have a hand in causing these issues to occur.  They had their chance, I have no desire to buy or recommend either in the future. 

I have installed heavy duty shackles, wet suspension bolts and lifetime bushings.  I spread the word to watch closely the Forest River and Lippert frame and springs. 

Lou Schneider said:
Northwood Manufacturing (Arctic Fox, Nash, Desert Fox, Snow River, Fox Mountain) builds their own frames and has an independent lab certify the design.

Lifestyle Luxury RV's build their own frames also.

The latest issue regarding Lippert chassis is a grease seal failure that is becoming quite wide spread. It has gotten so prevalent that Lippert has issued "warning letters" to owners to inspect their brake systems.  The problem is that the grease seals that they are using are failing at alarming numbers.  This causes the grease in the axle to leak past the grease seals and coat the brakes.  The Columbus line built  by Palomino, a subsidiary of Forest River is the owner.  It has gotten so much attention that the NTHSA has opened an investigation into the problem.  If you own, or are thinking of buying a Lippert chassis vehicle, inspect the brakes at your earliest opportunity. 

If we all live in fear all the time about things that could possibly happen, or break, we would never have any time to enjoy life. Find the RV you like, buy it and enjoy it. If something breaks, fix it and continue on. There is nothing you can buy that can't possibly break. If we could all learn to accept that, this would be a much happier place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom