Lippert Frames still causing issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2013 Eclipse Attitude with a Lippert frame and it just got several large cracks in the frame from the horizontal welds they did on the gussets supporting the springs.

Attachments

• 20160905_174004a.jpg
    20160905_174004a.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20160905_174058a.jpg
    20160905_174058a.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 145
It looks like a design issue.  I Beams are normally stressed on the top and bottom, but this crack is in the center.  Something is causing the I beam twist inwards or outwards.    As the horizontal welds in the center broke, the bottom web of the beam is being pushed sideways causing the center twist/cracking.

It looks like they just needed to weld a gusset on to ensure this doesn't snap the weld and twist the beam.  With the proper welding and gusseting, the center of the I beam would not have any stress, compression or tension.

Carl

Well I am the owner of a 2011 Tracer 29bhs, we bought the trailer new. 2 summers ago, we had the first of the lippert problems, when the seal failed on an axle and we nearly lost a wheel on the I-95. It was pouring rain and we limped to the nearest city to get repairs done. Took two days spent in a motel before problem was fixed, damage done to the trailer, was paid out of pocket. Brought trailer home, lost half of summer of 2014 for camping, waiting for parts to arrive at the dealer to have other seals replaced and do the other repairs.
  Summer of 2015, noticed hump in floor, took trailer to the dealer, frame buckling, lost almost all of summer waiting for axles to be shipped to dealer and then repairs to frame to be completed.
  Summer of 2016, noticed hump in floor was larger and slide starting to drag on floor, off to the dealer we go again, this time trailer actually coming apart as dealer says welds have failed and as of this writing still waiting to see if lippert is going to repair my lemon.
  This Tracer was my families first new trailer, it was bought because it was supposed to be a really well built unit, won several awards for build quality, maybe inside but the underneath has been a real nightmare, we have lost most of the last 3 camping seasons and I wish there was some kind of lemon law for trailers, this is ridiculous. I wish I could get rid of it but I am stuck with it. :mad:

Sorry for the bad luck Dennis, I hate hearing that kind of stuff.  What about contacting the manufacturer to see if they would do something, or maybe you already did? 

What about trying to trade it in on a different unit?  It doesn't sound like you will be happy with yours regardless of the outcome.

longhaul said:
Lippert has no idea what the trailer  mfg is going to use the frame for. If I had a frame issue I'm falling down on the trailer manufacturer as their the ones responsible for seeing the frame is to their specs and is good to go for their customers.
Now if the frame builder has cut corners from the RV mfg specs then they become liable for repairs which Lippert has done in many cases.

Bad deal all around for the customer with Lippert and the RV mfg pointing fingers at each other in many cases.

I TOTALLY agree.

My story:

Had an 02,  29RL 5r. The upper front part of the [body] began to move up & down more than I thought it should, as seen from my rear view mirror, in relation to the Pin Box. Then I noticed the bedroom wall had scuff marks on it from moving up & down against the dresser structure.

Called the Maker. Told them the above. First question from them was: Do you carry any Bicycles on the back bumper ?  I said Yes, 2 aluminum bikes. They then said: That's the cause of your problem.. the bikes weight had upset the center of balance and caused front of the frame to flex up and down, causing the issues. You are 3 months out of Warranty, so we can't help you with any repairs.

Expected That. 

Called Lippert. Told them the above and what the Maker said. Lippert said: They supply and deliver the basic frame (Billet frame, if you will) to the RV manufacture, they then Weld and/or Bolt all the attachment points they need based on their engineering & design plans.

Lippert then asked if I was capable of dropping the Pin box belly pan to look for anything obvious, and call them back. I dropped the belly pan.

When I did, 6 of 8 lag screws fell out, and a piece of 1/8x 1.5"  flat stock material sagged down on the Pass-side. Took a hard look at what had happened. Found that 10 of 16 spot welds (8 each side) didn't even penetrate, from the flat stock to the (LIPPERT) frame member.

Called Lippert back. They said the Flat Stock was what the [manufacture] used as a mounting platform for the front portion of the coach body. When the few spot welds that did penetrate.. failed.. everything was free to move, pulling the mounting screws loose.

QA & QC by the MAKER was the Down Fall . LIPPERT ? Not So Much.

Joe

OBTW.. I fixed it by doing a continuous weld w/1" Rossetts every 6".. the full length, using 3/16 x 2" flat stock. Pulled that 5r another 10 years.. No problems.

I've been quite interested in the Keystone Passport 2920BH. It seemed to come highly recommended and claimed to be of good quality. But then I see Lippert frames have serious issues, which are used by most. Are these issues generally found in specific trailers/models or do they span the whole spectrum?

lippert is probably the largest manufacturer of anything Rv by a country mile thus more issues go to the website and see what they do but im betting the failure rate is less than .01%

http://www.lci1.com/

steveblonde said:
lippert is probably the largest manufacturer of anything Rv by a country mile thus more issues go to the website and see what they do but im betting the failure rate is less than .01%

http://www.lci1.com/

Totally Agree.

I (we) just got caught up in that .01%. In my opinion: It wasn't Lippert.

Looking back on the whole thing.. The RV Manufacturer was less than admirable in their QA, QC, and Customer Care... after Sale.

Once fixed.. we got many, many Great miles out of our 29RS.

Joe

I noticed a few stating that the issues seemed older, that maybe things were resolved.

Reading what I did made it sound like most trailers across the nation were either at a shop or waiting its turn to destruct.

I've wondered about Lippert as well.  If Lippert frames are inherently unsafe or faulty, are there any DOT actions or findings?  Recalls?  Class action suits?  I'm hoping for the best with mine but this is concerning.

BIG JOE said:
Once fixed.. we got many, many Great miles out of our 29RS.

Joe

I assume you meant to say 29rL, not RS correct? We don't want to confuse your old Montana with your Grand Design. ;D

kdbgoat said:
I assume you meant to say 29rL, not RS correct? We don't want to confuse your old Montana with your Grand Design. ;D

YES.. 29RL.. I stand corrected  ;) ;D

Still not sure what the S in RS stands for ?.  ???

Joe

I was thinking Rally Sport  (RS).  High speed x-country RVing!!!

BobX2 said:
If we all live in fear all the time about things that could possibly happen, or break, we would never have any time to enjoy life. Find the RV you like, buy it and enjoy it. If something breaks, fix it and continue on. There is nothing you can buy that can't possibly break. If we could all learn to accept that, this would be a much happier place.

I think BobX2 purdy much sez it ALL right there?

I had a Keystone/Lippert issue. A Thor issue. A Lance issue. A Nomad issue. Fixed them... and moved on down the road.

In my 50+ years in the RV life style.. I've Seen & Heard (I think we all have ?) the issues From the Top, to the Bottom lines of RV's.

In the end (?).. Nothing is bullet proof.  It's All Good. Life is Good.

Joe

The problems that were reported with Lippert were faulty grease seals in the axles they were using (still?)  Many owners complained, and a NHTSA investigation was opened. It was closed a while later with vague comments about Lippert addressing the concerns.  The problem was that the grease seals were failing, allowing the brakes, drums, and all internal parts to become coated with axle grease and become ineffective. 

The best advice I can give is to check your brake assemblies regularly, at least every 6 mos, and 3 is better. 

Hello, I'm new to the site, I know that several 5th wheel RVers have had issues with Lippert chassis on their 5th wheels. Does anyone know if there has been a class action law suit against Lippert for the structure issues? I have a Forest River Wildcat and the frame structure that surrounds the king pin box ripped and the insurance company won't cover it, they say it's wear and tear BS. My coach was bought new in 2003. Any feedback would be great thank you

They is another thread where I posted a short video of the assembly line process of greasing the hubs. in that video it doesn't appear that they are applying any grease to the seal lips. A rubber seal cant start out  life by running dry on a steel shaft.

No this is the front and back cross beams that hold the king pin box. The beams literally ripped and not the welds and the insurance co said they are not covering it. 

Hi everyone....especially those having lippert frame problems.  We just got our new (2 month old) redwood 5th out of lippert shop in Goshen Indiana,  can't say enough good for the entire crew. We made a u-turns out in a parking lot this week, ripped the rear spring hanger off the frame. They came to our location, made temp repairs and asked to bring it in for a retrofit. While they had it, also had disc brakes installed.  Very happy with their attitude and work preformed. Problems happen.  Anyone out there having problems might give lippert's customer's service a call in Indiana. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom