Need to Learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc53

OK, I do not currently own any RV but we are starting our research. I have owned TTs and a popup in the past but that was a long time ago.

My questions, today, will involve fifth wheels - and the TV, but I have not ruled out TTs - just using this as a starting point. I've been browsing the forums and trying to absorb even a little knowledge, but I am still extremely green when it comes to towing/capacities/best practices, etc.

As an example, we looked at some RVs at a recent show and noted some specs - but obviously not all of them - so I will use one that we rather liked and work from there.

A Rockwood Ultra-Lite with the following manufacturer noted specs:

Dry Hitch Weight
1,324 lbs. (601 kg)
Unloaded Vehicle Weight
7,944 lbs. (3,603 kg)
GVWR
TBA (TBA)
Cargo Carrying Capacity
1,406 lbs. (638 kg)
Exterior Length
31' 11" (9.7 m)
Exterior Height
12' 5" (3.8 m)
Exterior Width
96" (2.4 m)
Fresh Water Capacity
43 gal. (163 L)
Gray Water Capacity
38 gal. (144 L)
Black Water Capacity
38 gal. (144 L)

First am I to assume that (for analysis sake) adding the cargo capacity to the unloaded vehicle weight will give me the GVWR or is that the GCWR?

Also, if this were our choice and we don't currently own a TV, would looking at used 3/4 ton diesels (3-4 years old) SRW, be an OK starting point? I realize that this presents many unknowns and I'm not proposing an actual buy scenario. I'm wondering, basically, if a 5er this size, under relatively normal conditions, could be easily handled by a 3/4 ton SRW diesel...with the understanding that the TV would need certain capabilities also.

Maybe a little convoluted approach but I'm just trying to get some baselines since I really don't own either as of yet and, sadly, do not have an unlimited budget.

Also not in a hurry and want to know as much as I can about the water before I step into the pool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom