Movie Streaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

I am interested in the various choices for hardware to stream movies. This will be done only when we are in our park model in the summer in Wyoming. I have Amazon Prime, but it seems their instant video is mostly old stuff. The service doesn't have to be real cheap, and I would like access to newer movies, HD preferable. What I really want is the pros and cons of Roku and similar plans. Any experience?

Thanks,
Bill

I recently spent $168 on a 5.1 surround system with 3d Blu ray player by Philips at Walmart, comes with all six speakers. The opening screen gives me the opportunity to go to Netflix or Hulu. I had already signed up for a Netflix steaming account. I set up the player with the Wifi info and my log in info for Netflix and I was watching a movie within five minutes of turning on the amp. I am going to give Hulu a try pretty soon also. They are both only $7.99 per month and I can tell after one day I really love Netflix.

What kind of Internet access will you have?  A campground MiFi or cell phone data (Verizon, etc.) are not appropriate for streaming.  If money is not a big matter, why not set up a satellite TV system (Dish or DirecTV)?  Then you can access HBO, Starz, Movie Channel, etc. and pay-per-view, most in HD.  You can get a Dish Tailgater for about $450 plus whatever programming subscription you want.

Now, if you will have cable Internet or a good DSL then Netflix or Hulu might be good options.

Streaming is data intensive. DVD capacity is about 4.7 gigabyte. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

A BluRay is about 50 gig http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

I hope you have a good data plan. Or, hard wired cable / Fios / with unlimited data.

FYI Our full time data usage is about 11 gig with no streaming. We use Over The Air TV or rent a Video.

A Roku isn't a "plan"; it is a device for streaming.  You still have to have an account with the content providers.  We use Netflix, Huluplus, Amazon and Pandora through our Roku.  We happen to have an unlimited Verizon plan or we wouldn't be able to do this.

We have a nice Sony media streaming device (built into the Bluray/sound system) and a high speed cable net at home, so have excellent streaming capability.  We've looked at streaming for tv and movies several times and always end up concluding that most of the fare is either old or second rate stuff. Or both.  Tried Hulu and Netflix both and were disappointed with the offerings. We currently have an Amazon Prime account and have viewed a couple new movies from that, but we couldn't justify it without the free Amazon.com shipping.

I guess we just aren't old movie & tv series junkies - we rarely view anything twice and have no interest in viewing the entire previous season of a show, even if we watched it avidly when it was current. We have a couple nephews and nieces that say they only watch streamed content, but it's not sufficient for our entertainment wants.

The more I look at the streaming options and the hassles with  it, the more attractive a Tailgater looks. The signal where we go is extremely weak and fads in and out. I'm lucky to load a web page, forget streaming. Even if I could get a good signal, our phones are old and new ones make a Tailgater set up look cheap.

I use two paid online services at home. Aereo for local TV and DVR service and I recently signed up for Redbox instant. So far I like both here at the house but then again I have high speed cable here. Free sites I use are Crackle, Tube plus and if you are into sports, you have to check out wiziwig.

I picked Redbox over netflix because the online content was newer and you got four rentals out of the box a month. I like the idea behind netflix mail program but how do you get to see the newest movies?

Edit: Removed white space.

Gary RV Roamer said:
We have a nice Sony media streaming device (built into the Bluray/sound system) and a high speed cable net at home, so have excellent streaming capability.  We've looked at streaming for tv and movies several times and always end up concluding that most of the fare is either old or second rate stuff. Or both.  Tried Hulu and Netflix both and were disappointed with the offerings. We currently have an Amazon Prime account and have viewed a couple new movies from that, but we couldn't justify it without the free Amazon.com shipping.

I guess we just aren't old movie & tv series junkies - we rarely view anything twice and have no interest in viewing the entire previous season of a show, even if we watched it avidly when it was current. We have a couple nephews and nieces that say they only watch streamed content, but it's not sufficient for our entertainment wants.

I guess you haven't tried any of the "made for Netflix" series such as House of Cards, Orange is the New Black or Lilyhammer.

Nor have you watched any of the excellent foreign TV series such as Spiral, Braquo, Broen (The Bridge), etc.

We also don't watch old TV series or movies that we have already seen.  But there's a lot of content available from outside the US.  We don't happen to mind reading subtitles.  We've been using our Roku for several years and have yet to run out of new content to watch.  And we're pretty picky and don't watch movies until we've checked them out on MRQE.com.  If you don't limit yourself to stuff coming out of the US there's plenty to watch.

Back
Top Bottom