Curious electrical issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

We are talking about a 2014 Georgetown 335 if that makes any difference...

Our 110 system was working fine until we made toast on Saturday morning.  Since then the two outlets in the kitchen have been dead.  These outlets have labels that they are G F I protected.  The outlet with the test re set button is in the head.  That tests fine and we have power there.  I have checked all circuit breakers, turning each one off and resetting them to no avail.  Any suggestions?

More than likely there is also a GFCI in the kitchen.  My CC has two, one for the kitchen and one for the bath.  Are there any other outlets that stick out from the wall?

GFIs will do every time.  I had an outlet stop working by the table.  Drove me crazy.  Come to find out it was fed by a GFI in the bathroom.  Check all your GFIs at the start and end of every trip.  They can sometimes trip for no reason.

Check the outside outlets also. One of them maybe a GFCI that has to be reset. If your breaker panel list port outlets and stbd outlets you will have two GFCI outlets.  They may be labeled left and right or drivers and passengers also.

A call to Forest River seemed to confirm that the two kitchen (and one basement) outlets are fed off of the bathroom GFI circuit.  They will be checking the wiring as soon as we get back.  Unfortunately we are headed back on Wednesday....

Do have an Inverter. If so, they have circuit breakers on the inverter that your outlets run through. Check your inverter for a circuit breaker that is tripped.

Sometimes they put a 2nd GFCI in the most outlandish place they can think of (under the bed for example) I do not know why.

Another possibility:  Generally the connection to the GFCI is simply two wires wire-nutted together.  And those wire nuts may or may not be secured with tape. and have been known to become... Un-nutted as it were.. ALso sometimes the wires in the nut get kind of nasty.

Then... Once it's headed out to the kitchen, patio and other GFCI protected places... They use Punch Down connectors.. These are about as far from "The best" as you can get.

Kitchen outlets take quite the load.. Electric... cooking stoff, coffee pots, and the like suck a lot of amps and those punch down's may not be up to the job, thus they corrode.

And if there are any junction boxes between GFCI and Kitchen... see wire nut comment above.

Back
Top Bottom