Noob Jeep question for the master jeepers here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captsteve

I have been looking but can't find a straight answer.

Here it goes!  2013 JK sport w/ lsd rear end.

In order to go with lockers, do I have to change the chunk to a open diff? I think I found something for the LSD but I don't think it's a true locker.

Since I have LSD in the rear, should I stay with it (need pro's and cons) and think about getting a D44 front with a locker? (Might this be a best of both worlds thing for the occasional crawler?)

Hunting some mentoring here, I am not looking to go crazy on the trails but also don't want to be left in the dust.

Thanks guys!

What axle in the rear Steve - a Dana 30 or 44?  Limited slip is better than open, but I'm not sure how good it would be on the trail.  You should be able to find complete Dana 44 axles (with the E locker) that are removed from JKs getting upgraded to 60s.

It is a D44 rear already.  This is not something I'm looking to do prior to Moab. I'm just trying to learn about exactly what I will need to do in the future if I really decide to get into this. (Like I have a choice, The Jeep bug is worse than Herpes!)

I guess what I was really asking is can I put a locker on the LSD rear I have.

I'm sure you will properly edumacate me in May!!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks John!

A selectable locker such as an electric or air operated that can be engaged or disengaged by the driver takes the place of the complete carrier in the differential whether it was originally an open differential or a limited slip.

Thank you Dennis!!! I gots lots to learn! I hope these craddle school questions don't bother you guys. :p

My personal opinion is if you wheel where you have a wheel in the air quite a bit then a selectable locker is a great addition to the rig.  You will be a slight learning curve to driving with one and when to activate it.  Also in the front you will have very limited steering with a locked front axle when it is engaged.

On the flip side, if you are a somewhat conservative wheeler and seem to keep all four on the ground most of the time, I highly recommend an Eaton TrueTrac limited slip.  They are about as bullet proof as you can get, require no input from the driver, have no adverse affects when driving on the pavement so they are great for a daily driver and there is no adverse affects to your steering when wheeling.

I have had the TrueTrac is several of my past off-road vehicles and my son just installed TrueTrac's front and rear in his 2004 LJ.

I am not a fan of the OEM Jeep Trac-Lock limited slip differentials.  They are junk and usually worn out and not functioning correctly within the first several blocks of leaving the dealership.  I have swapped out many Trac-Locks for the Eaton TrueTrac's over the past several years because of unhappy Jeep owners who were disappointed in how well their Trac-Lock's did not perform.

Mike.

Steve,

Thanks for asking the question. I don't know enough to know what to ask, so I look forward to your conversations so I too can get some o' dat edumacation. 

John

Back
Top Bottom