2014 ViewFInder question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamblinFever

We just purchased a 2014 Viewfinder VS24SD while in Quartzsite, AZ in January.  It's 25' with a slideout (our first with a slide out).  SInce most of the weight seems to be on the left side with the sofa bed, refer, and LP tanks (in rear) it seems somewhat unruly while towing.  My thinking is the left side has most of the weight that may be unbalanced.  Has anyone with a slideout experienced this?    I did increase from 2 to 3 links of chain on the equalizer that helped a little.

Jim
Sacramento, CA area

Does the trailer look visibly low on one side when viewed from front or rear?  Your eye should pick up anything more than a couple inches of difference, if it is indeed that much.
However, I doubt if a side-to-side imbalance would have much effect on towing behavior. Among possible causes of unruly towing, that has to be far down the list. When you have an opportunity, get the trailer weighed and try to get separate weights for each side, so that you have some real data to work from, but it's probably not a significant factor in towing manners.

The #1 influence on trailer tow behavior is tongue weight. Too little is the most likely to cause problems, sway and poor tracking behind the tow vehicle. 10-12% of the trailer actual weight is the desired amount.  Too much tongue weight can affect the tow vehicle, even though it actually makes the trailer itself more docile. Excessive weight on the hitch lifts weight off the tow vehicles front wheels and can make the steering erratic. When you tighten up the chains on the weight distributing mechanism, you counteract the hitch weight by transferring it forward to the front wheels. That's probably what you did.

You need to adjust the WD (chains) to make sure the tow vehicle is level after the trailer is hooked up. You should do this once you have the trailer loaded with your normal gear. Before hooking up the trailer, measure the height of the tow vehicle at the front and rear wheel wells (distance from body to ground). It may be level or it may be slightly tilted, according to the vehicle's design. Then hook up the trailer and re-measure.  Adjust the chains until you get back to the same attitude as when it was unloaded, i.e. level or the same very slight tilt. Remember that chain setting - that's what you want to use unless you make a significant change in the trailer's weight balance fore & aft. You may need to use one chain link more or less if, for example, you add a full tank of water or other major weight change.

When I bought the trailer, everything was measured etc by the dealer, La Mesa RV.  It all looked good then.  I was at their dealership in DAvis,CA and we adjusted to the third chain link.  There is no lean or other visual problem. Steering does not seem to be affected.  Handling is good on the truck but the trailer seems to need constant control even with the sway control attached.  Everything looks fine and looked better according to the service advisor.  The trailer has very little in the way of load.  Dry weight is 4592 lbs, hitch weight is 910 lbs.  It just feels so different compared to my 24' trailer that I owned during the 80s with a '78 Olds Station Wagon.  No sure how I would be able to weigh each wheel to determine balance short of paying a lot of money for something this specialized.  La Mesa quoted me 1/2 to 1 hr of labor to meaure axles and weight to determing if there was an alighnment issue.  Warranty would not cover unless it was proven to be an issue, therefore the labor charge.  I'm towing with a 2014 Silverado 1500 that is equipped with a factory tow package.

A trailer that light should hardly be noticeable on a Silverado. What sort of "control" does the trailer need? Are we talking sway from side to side or ?  As for the comparison to your 78 Olds, this one should feel a whole lot better, not worse. I towed a 24 footer with a '77 Cadillac back in the day and it wallowed all over! And the Caddy had automatic air suspension in the back too.

A 910 lb tongue weight seems excessive for a lightly loaded, 4592 dry, trailer. I would have expected no more than 600 lbs and probably closer to 500. Are you sure of those numbers? With 20% of the trailer weight on the hitch, it should be rock solid.

I would think you could get separate side weights at a local scale (sand & gravel yard, feed supply, moving van company, etc) for $10-$20. You just need to drive through the scale twice, with just one set of wheels on the scale each time. You are only concerned about side weight, not individual tires.  But I don't think this is related to your problem anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom