Spring CalExpo RV Show - Sacramento

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Dates: March 6-9, 2014.

This show is referred to as the only "Real" RV show in NCal. Most so called shows are single dealers renting a parking lot for a few days and advertising it as a show. Whereas this show has dealers from all over CA and some from other states. It's partially outdoors and partially indoors with mini booths like one would see under the big tent in QZ (tho much fewer).

Here is the website with info and directions:

http://www.rvshow.com/

The fee is $12 w/another $10 for CalExpo parking. A $6 discount coupon is on their website.

A bit of trivia:

In around '96 or so, one of the very first RV Forum rallies was held at the Pepper Mill restaurant across the street from CalExpo during this show. Margi Benninger coordinated the event while I was her logistics person locally at the time. A local dealer I knew stopped by and gave each person a free pass to the show. There were around 20 or so that attended - and as a result of the positive feedback to others, am sure that lead to many of the ensuing RVForum rallies.

Sorry about posting this the day before the start date -- am usually still in AZ/NV during March. Was thinking it was later in the spring.

Wow!  I remember that early RV Forum rally.  Trying to think how many of us are still around the forum.  Can come up with you, Tom and I, Tom and Chris Jones.  My usual faulty memory fails me again.  When someone chimes in with "I was there!" I'm going to be really embarrassed.  Loved those old Peppermill restaurants.  Are they still around?

It was 1995. IIRC that meeting at the Peppermill was the pre-meeting for the rally at 49er Village in Plymouth. Margi had "volunteered" to organize the rally, and suggested we gather at the Pepppermill for some pre-planning. Most of us drove from there to the RV show at Cal Expo. Quite an event, and we've been to a couple over the years.

Fred and Daisy were also at Plymouth, but I don't recall them being at the Peppermill. Lou Schneider also joined us at Plymouth (he drove in without his trailer).

Wish we'd taken a group picture at the Peppermill. (Scanned) pictures from Plymouth are in our photo gallery (click the Photos button above), but I've yet to find a copy of the group picture.

Chris and I were at 49er Village a couple of years ago, and had fond memories of the 1995 rally.

Gosh, Tom - that makes next year the 20th anniversary of the Plymouth rally.  Any plans for a celebration?

Lou, I think we should twist Margi's arm (again) to come out of retirement and host the rally  ;D

Tom said:
Lou, I think we should twist Margi's arm (again) to come out of retirement and host the rally <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />
Fat chance, guys!  ;D  I did love the time we shared at that rally and would love to relive that "vibe",  as the kids now say.  But that was then and this is now and I'm content to treasure the memories.  And, they are truly special memories.  :D

Margi, maybe we could hold the rally at your place  ???

Tom said:
It was 1995. IIRC that meeting at the Peppermill was the pre-meeting for the rally at 49er Village in Plymouth. Margi had "volunteered" to organize the rally, and suggested we gather at the Pepppermill for some pre-planning. Most of us drove from there to the RV show at Cal Expo. Quite an event, and we've been to a couple over the years.

Fred and Daisy were also at Plymouth, but I don't recall them being at the Peppermill. Lou Schneider also joined us at Plymouth (he drove in without his trailer).

Wish we'd taken a group picture at the Peppermill. (Scanned) pictures from Plymouth are in our photo gallery (click the Photos button above), but I've yet to find a copy of the group picture.

Chris and I were at 49er Village a couple of years ago, and had fond memories of the 1995 rally.

If I recall, Tom, the Peppermill rally was a pre CalExpo show meeting.

I had announced the CalExpo show - and at the time Margi and Tom were beginning their search for a step up in RV's from their small TT. Margi and I then discussed - well, why don't I take names of all those that might want to go to the show and meet somewhere together for lunch before going to the show. I then scouted the area and found the Peppermill to be just across the street from the CalExpo entrance. After talking with the manager and setting up the dates, I talked with my dealer friend about joining us. He had given me a free ticket and suggested giving everyone at the lunch a ticket as well.

We were all delighted about how many attended and how well we all got along - having never met before (just all RVers) - and am sure that lead to suggestions that we plan another rally soon. But from there, it's all kinda vague to me.  :)

I "do" specifically remember someone taking a picture of the group -- I believe outside the restaurant. I also recall Margi and I talking about how surprised and pleased that we really hadn't met hardly anyone before that did attend. And why we should have more such rally's for that reason. On line is great, but face to face is even better.

Bob, your memory may be better than mine, but the meeting at the Peppermill wasn't deemed a "rally. The rally occurred at 49er Village.

The only one who has owned up to having a copy of the picture (Bob Bonnini) hasn't come forward with the pic.

Tom said:
Bob, your memory may be better than mine, but the meeting at the Peppermill wasn't deemed a "rally. The rally occurred at 49er Village.

The only one who has owned up to having a copy of the picture (Bob Bonnini) hasn't come forward with the pic.

You're correct, Tom -- it wasn't a rally as such. It was a luncheon get together prior to going to the RV show. The Plymouth rally may have been mentioned (I don't recall) - but was not the purpose of the luncheon. My recollection is only better because I was very much involved with the purpose, planning, and logistics. That part is not vague to me.

I hope we do find a pic of that group.

For some reason, I thought it was a breakfast meeting, but maybe Margi can set us straight.

The year was easy on two counts; The Plymouth rally is clearly documented as 1995, and we had just purchased our then-new 1995 Suburban, and the Peppermill was our first trip in the Burb. Margi even commented on the vehicle.

Tom said:
For some reason, I thought it was a breakfast meeting, but maybe Margi can set us straight.

The year was easy on two counts; The Plymouth rally is clearly documented as 1995, and we had just purchased our then-new 1995 Suburban, and the Peppermill was our first trip in the Burb. Margi even commented on the vehicle.
Actually, I believe it "was" billed as breakfast get together prior to the show - though it would have been a late breakfast and most ordered from the luncheon menu. Having breakfast would give folks more time to get to and enjoy the show. It was/is a big one that can take a large chunk of ones day.

As to the group picture, my brain cells are starting to come together now. Margi took the picture. I recall she got with me as folks were paying their bills to make sure we got everyone just outside. And from another topic I found that mentioned the Peppermill breakfast and the picture,

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=8625.msg80025#msg80025

No sense relying on my spotty memory.  I sometimes don't even remember what I watched on TV the night before.  ;) 

Back
Top Bottom