Rubicon or build up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPete

I am going to be purchasing a Jeep Unlimited and plan on using it for a toad and 4wheeler. I probably will get into some difficult rides so I am thinking Rubicon but wonder it the items from Jeep are good or would I be better off buying a "not Rubicon" and building it up with aftermarket. I am not a youngster but know my way around a toolbox. Thanks for any ideas.

Pete

Good question.  If you wanted to end up with a serious trail machine and rock crawler, then I would buy a plain no frills Jeep and pull the axles and install Dana 60s and an Atlas 4-speed transfer case (plus all of the other stuff) - but you're into some serious $$ and work.  Figure $4k for the Atlas and about $7-8k for axles/lockers/gears.

Buy a 2-door JK Rubicon and it's ready to wheel.  4-door Rubicon - not ready to wheel the hard stuff unless you're on at least 35" tires, preferably 37s.  4-door non-Rubicon - not ready to wheel unless you get a locker at least in the rear, larger tires, and a sway bar disconnect.  Boils down to the price delta between the Rubi and non-Rubi models.  The Rubi model probably has a higher resale value than a non-Rubi model even if you do stuff to it.

From my very limited experience, If you start with the Ruby you are ahead of the game. The 3k or so cost diff between ruby and sport (base model to base model) will cost you a bunch more if you decide to build it.

If the trails you are going to run are from the moderate on down, I would go with the ruby, add some tires and run with it. It gives you a good base to improve on "If" you decide you need too and you are thousands ahead of the game with the lockers, D44 front and rear and discos.

As john said, it all depends on what you want to do? Moderate to easy trails Rubicon, hard to extreme trails base model IMHO.

I just ordered a 4 speed Atlas for $2800.00, but my Roc Jock axles for front and rear was $11k.

Either way Jeeping is fun!

I'll give you my $0.02. I bought a 2005 TJ X as a toad, I didn't see the need to spend the money on a new Jeep Rubicon. I am in the Jeep building process right now and I figure to spend somewhere between 15k and 20k for a very mild build. With the 15k I spent on the Jeep I could be driving a new Rubicon with all the bells and whistles. Of course if I had purchased a Rubicon, I still want to do some modifications, so maybe i am money ahead by buying used.

Thanks for the great info. I am looking forward to getting back into it as I haven't really done any serious wheeling since the 70's when I had a TJ Toyota. It was a great off-roader and I wish I had kept it. Looks like I may go with the Rubicon as, being a member of the Freightliner family with the motorhome chassis, I get a pretty good discount on a new purchase.

Any one used the Freightliner discount program?

Pete 

JPete said:
Thanks for the great info. I am looking forward to getting back into it as I haven't really done any serious wheeling since the 70's when I had a TJ Toyota.
Pete

I am just now getting back into off-roading and I am finding out that there is an aftermarket part for nearly everything under, on, or over the skin of a Jeep. I am enjoying the build process, it gives me something to do, it is fun, and I get to go off-road again. For my entire life, since i was 14 anyway, I've been off-roading on my motorcycle, three-wheelers, quads, and various four-wheel drive vehicles. It is what I truly love doing.

Now if I can just convince my wife that putting money into a Jeep is not an entirely worthless endeavor... ;D

We went with the Rubicon two door. Added a bumper, winch and mild lift and we're very pleased with the results. We don't run the really radical stuff but, short of a full build, I'd say the Jeep would stay with most.

For a JKU, I'd say that you would want at least a three inch lift and 35 inch tires.

Ernie

PS I suspect you will be around 5, 000 lb. We're at 4,600 loaded.

As far as discounts go, You can use the "Tread Lightly" program discount. It gives you 1% below invoice with no haggling. I asked for it and got it without joining Tread Lightly, If it came down to it I would have joined if needed. It runs $99.00 a year and is a great program.

Back
Top Bottom