EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Eastward HO!!- Just the facts Maam!  (Read 6820 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Eastward HO!!- Just the facts Maam!
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
Well the weather is just starting to break in parts of the country.  At least we hope. Starting next Friday we strike out on a eastward trip that will take us through Red Bay, Al to visit the mother ship (Tiffin) to get some warranty work, then on to the Keys for a few weeks. 

Lots of stops in between, and we are hoping for some smooth sailing. You are welcome to tag along on here, or the DW's blog, (link in signature line).  She is a great writer, and always includes her own special flair. See ya on the road!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:10:59 AM by SargeW »
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
Re: Eastward HO!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:09 AM »
Oh man... there ya go again, having fun in your motorhome. Have a great trip you guys. I'll be reading Diane's journal.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Dar

• ---
  • Home is where and when we decide!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »
Sounds awesome Sarge. Maybe we will see you on the road because we are in FL heading west after visiting Freightliner in SC for annual maintenance. Hopefully you have few repairs that Tiffin can get to quickly because I believe Red Bay is worse than Forest City as far as being secluded, as if that is possible LOL.

Have fun and be safe!
Dar & Bill
2012 Winnebago Journey 40U
2013 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute tow bar w/integrated Ready Brake & Breakaway

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
Thanks Kev! You need to get out there and stretch those legs!

Dar, I think you may be right, but I got my fingers crossed.  But hey, its all part of the adventure!
Marty--

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »
The weather has been beautiful here in Florida lately Sarge. ;D Good luck on your trip. :)
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 01:48:08 PM »
Thanks Tom, looking forward to it!
Marty--

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
Thanks Kev! You need to get out there and stretch those legs!

I know, I know. Right now the MHs in a bunch of pieces while a large solar system is being installed - while all the valances are being replaced - while some cabinet work is being done - yada yada. Even though I just retired, Cyndii Jo is still working and Andi Jo has got another year of high school. So for now, all I can do is enjoy other people's long RV trips vicariously. :-\   Keep the trip reports comin'.

Kev
Edit: Fixed quote.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:50:53 PM by Tom »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »
Wow, doing some serious mods!  Post some pics when it's done!
Marty--

Dar

• ---
  • Home is where and when we decide!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
I agree with Sarge, some pics when you are done Kevin would be greatly appreciated.

We saw a million dollar coach at Lazy Days a couple of weeks ago with wooden valances that had just a hint of matching fabric to the motif. Liked them allot so I am thinking another year or so I should be bored with the current fabric and it will be time for a change. In the mean time I will live vicariously through you on that because we don't sit long enough for me to get anything like that done ;). Enjoy your remodel.
Dar & Bill
2012 Winnebago Journey 40U
2013 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute tow bar w/integrated Ready Brake & Breakaway

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »
Well we have arrived at the first leg of our Eastward Ho journey. It was a short trip actually to enjoy some of the cooler temps of our local ski resort mountains.  So we pulled into Serrano Campground in Big Bear, and the weather was still a beautiful 70 degrees.  I know that some of the eastern readers will find that mildly amusing! But with our temps at home in So. Cal hitting high 70's and low 80's this weekend, it was a nice way to start. 

Other than some typical So. Cal Friday afternoon traffic, the journey was uneventful.  I was interested to see just how the new rig would pull the mountain grades coming up here.  We got as high as 7200+ feet, with lots of switchbacks and 20 MPH corners.  We are loaded heavy right now too, just about "full timer" loaded.  Plus a little extra as Diane took all the extra stuff from the house that we would not be back to use for the next 3 months. 

The rig pulled well, the upgrade to the Cummins ISC 8.3 motor and the Allison 3000 MH trans worked just as I had hoped.  The 1025 ft lbs of torque really helped keep us rolling on the mountain grades.  Even with the 5000# Jeep in tow, the rig never felt sluggish. (Our Journey that we had was powered by the Cummins ISB 6.7, and an Allison 2500MH trans)

With the VMSpc I was able to keep an eye on the temps, and all were within comfortable specs.

We chose Serrano campground as we have stayed here before. We are staying in Snowberry loop, which is full hookups.  This is a National Forest campground, which is way cheaper than the private campground across the street.  This is a little more rustic, but at around $37 a night, it works out great.  The private place across the street is around $100 a night. 

Our kids and grand kids will visit for a few days so we can get some big hugs to take with us on the road. We will do some exploring around here (watch Diane's blog for her details) before we head to Lake Mead for the next stop. 
Marty--

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:30 AM »
Marty,

After reading your post about Serrano campground, we took a look at it online. It looks like a great place to camp. Most of the sites look like they're big-rig friendly but I was wondering how level they are, and if the roads going up the hill and in the campground were doable for a 43 foot motorhome. We thought we might like to head up there sometime.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
The pads from side to side are very level Kev. The biggest issue we had was that some of them sloped backwards, away from the road, thus making your jacks lift the back end higher than the front.  We walked the loop and recorded the the site # that were favorable to a MH.  I also picked the ones that had most of the free space on the door side of the RV. 

If interested let me know and I can provide site#'s for you. 
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
Well we left Serrano campground and headed for Nevada. We went down the "back way" out of Big Bear.  It's highway 18 East, and the  route is shorter down the mountain, but much steeper in places. Some grades are as much as 11% with some tight switchbacks. The key to the decent is GO SLOW and use low gears.  I also recommend hitting the turnouts whenever necessary.

Even going slow and using the pullouts to let traffic go by I could still smell the brakes by the time we got to the bottom. It is just a whole lot of weight to hold back on that steep of a grade.  I wasn't alone though, there were a few other trucks behind me creeping down the mountain as well.

The next stop was a campground we had not stayed in before, Lake Mead National recreational area. It is a campground that requires an entrance fee to get in every day, so having a National Parks pass is highly recommended.  The campground itself has lots of permenant park models that have been here for quite a while, but several of the areas are being refurbished with RV only sites.  We stayed in the newest section which is the "Lake View" sites in the very front.  They are FHU sites with 50 amp, wide cement pads for the rig and patio area, and new gravel around that.  The sites have hookups on both sides of the pad, so you can pull in with your MH or back in with your towable and still have an awesome view of the lake. 

The rate for the lake view sites was about $45 a night, and some of the older ones up the hill may have been a little less.  There is also a dry camp area next to the FHU section that can be had for $10 a night, or $5 a night if you have the Senior National Parks Pass. 

The park is pretty close to Boulder City, and about 19 miles from Henderson.  It's a good thing too, since as soon as we pulled into the campground and unhooked the toad, I started hearing the tell tale "screech" from our rear brakes on the Jeep.  The early warning wear indicators were rubbing the rotors, and I knew a brake job was in my future.

I was able to hit a Jeep dealer in Henderson that got us in the next day, and with a little pain in the wallet, all is well again.  The weather has been great, cool mornings, 70 - 75 degree afternoons and a light breeze off of the lake.  I will be back here again.

We head for Arizona today, next stop is Cottonwood Arizona, Deadhorse Ranch Campground. Sounds like an interesting place! 

BTW, the DW is doing installments on her trip journal blog with area info and pics. Stop on by!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:13:04 AM by SargeW »
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Eastward HO!!- Just the facts Maam!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »
We arrived at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood AZ, and were pleasantly surprised. We have not been to this park before, and are always looking for new places to stay. The park is reasonably priced at $25 a night. The sites are water and electric with a dump station available.  The sites are asphalt with good space between them. 

One of the big reasons to take this trip was to hit Red Bay, AL to get some service done at the Tiffin factory.  I have been on a few different web sites checking posts about the activity at the service center.  It was picking up fast, with a crush of RV's expected to show up after April 1st when the snow birds start heading back north, much like what happens at the Winnebago factory in Forest City. 

I talked it over with Diane and decided to make a bee line for Red Bay, and try to make it before April 1st. So, very uncharacteristic of us we made a series of one night stops to make the time line work out.  So we drove between 325 to 360 a day for 4 days, and pulled into Red Bay on a Thursday the 27th.  We got on the service wait list, and have a full hook up site in their campground.  It's a good thing, because they expect 40 to 60 more rigs to show up Monday!  Most of them will be dry camping in the back lot.

Driving across I-40 had it's challenges. A few days we hit some really strong head winds, which just eats fuel. With the Cummins ISC power plant, I had the cruise set on 65 most of the time which the rig maintained pretty easily. However, watching the number on the boost gauge bounce around 25 to 30+ pounds, I felt the pain at the pump. (For those not sure what "boost" is, the higher the boost # the more air and fuel is being forced into the motor to achieve the desired speed by the turbocharger) 

I was putting in between 35 to 50 gallons of diesel a day. That hurts the pocketbook, but now while I wait here for 2-3 weeks getting service, I will use zero fuel, and the camping is free.

Once we get out of here, we head to Georgia to visit family for a few days and the pace slows dramatically.   
Marty--

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »
Sarge..are you planning to come thru the Orlando area on the Fl Turnpike??? We are headed to Long Key on May 27th for a week.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 10:16:34 AM »
We may get down there Will. We are a little up in the air until we see how long it takes us to get into a service bay here in Red Bay.  Stay Tuned!
Marty--

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »
Enjoy that ole Southern hospitality   8)   ...My family is from Red Rock which is about 40 miles from Red Bay.  If you like catfish, there's an old gas station east of Red Bay at the only intersection; and in the annex is a small restaurant that has great catfish.  It's a hole in the wall, but often Bob Tiffin is in there.  Then there is supposed to be a good restaurant in the back of the local grocery store.

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Now there is a little local flavor! Thanks Marsha!
Marty--

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
The weather has been beautiful here in Florida lately Sarge. ;D Good luck on your trip. :)
We just finished a 20 day tour including Key West and all points between and Tom is right, the weather was great in Florida.  Still on the cool side a few nights, but cool is OK.  Starting from Cedarcreek, Mo. we drove nearly the full length of Florida from the Alabama line down the west coast to Naples, across the Everglades, down to Key West then back up the east coast to Mayport.  From Mayport back to Ft. Smith, Ar. (son lives there).  By the time we get home we'll have driven about 3400 miles in 22 days.  It's been a great trip.

We did have one disappointment and that was the Everglades.  It is virtually dying from lack of fresh water, much of which is being sucked off to meet water demands in the rapidly developing coastal cities.  What a shame.  Unless something is done soon (and I seriously doubt anything will be), I suspect the next generation will have to use their imaginations to picture the glory of the place.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »
We just finished a 20 day tour including Key West and all points between and Tom is right, the weather was great in Florida.  Still on the cool side a few nights, but cool is OK.  Starting from Cedarcreek, Mo. we drove nearly the full length of Florida from the Alabama line down the west coast to Naples, across the Everglades, down to Key West then back up the east coast to Mayport.  From Mayport back to Ft. Smith, Ar. (son lives there).  By the time we get home we'll have driven about 3400 miles in 22 days.  It's been a great trip.

We did have one disappointment and that was the Everglades.  It is virtually dying from lack of fresh water, much of which is being sucked off to meet water demands in the rapidly developing coastal cities.  What a shame.  Unless something is done soon (and I seriously doubt anything will be), I suspect the next generation will have to use their imaginations to picture the glory of the place.
I may have been right, but I am not right today. It is raining and dreary today.

The Everglades has been dying for about 100 years. From what I read the bird population is about 10% of what it was 100 years ago. However the state of Florida is committed to restoring the Everglades to it's former glory. A few years ago a multi billion dollar plan was approved. It will be many years till the plan is complete because the damage is excessive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_of_the_Everglades
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
down to Key West then back up the east coast to

How was the availability of campgrounds on the way to Key West, and once you were there? Things to do?

Thinking of a trip there someday, just wondering due to your recent trip.

Edit: Fixed quote
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:08:05 PM by Tom »
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
SargeW, the name of the catfish place is Swamp John's. It is at the intersection of highway 24 and 247. If you go north on highway 147 about 10-15 miles you will find the National Coon Dog Graveyard. The locals told us about a restaurant west of Red Bay into Mississippi where we ate, but I don't remember the name of the restaurant  or how to get to the restaurant.
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
 Parttymer...I am retired military so I took advantage and stayed at the NAS Key West campground (Sigsbee).  We had to dry camp as we did not stay long enough to move into a full service site and had to stay in the overflow area.  So, unless you qualify for military Famcamps, I can't help you much.  However, I can tell you we made the entire trip without reservations...anywhere.  There were a couple of places that we got the one and only site left, but we weren't turned away anywhere.  And, it should be noted, we were there right in the middle of spring break timeframe.  I'm pretty sure if we would have been maybe just 2 weeks later we would have had even less trouble as spring break would have been over and more snowbirds would have migrated back north.  I can say that by far, the worst place we stayed was at the Florida City RV Park.  It was "okay" for a 1-nite stand, but not a place I would recommend.

As for things to do while in Key West...eat, drink and be merry.  Oh yes, and spend money...and take pictures of chickens...and crawl through traffic (unless you like walking).
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Well, we have been in Red Bay for 8 days now. With a little luck we may get into a service bay this coming Tuesday.  We went into Russellville on Wednesday to restock the wine cabinet (still a dry county you know). While we were there we stopped for lunch at a local place named Pilgrims Place.  Homemade BBQ and all the sides. The owner is a nice guy and makes everything fresh. 

Then last night we we got a little taste of an Alabama downpour. Along about 4:15 AM or so we were awakened by the rain. Then things got crazy fast.  The wind started howling and the rig was rocking. Lightening and thunder and car alarms were going off all over the campground. Then there was a huge crash. The neighbor to our right had a motorcycle/car combo dolly that he had pulled with him. The motorcycle portion was covered with canvas.  The crash was when the wind caught the front canvas on the trailer and spun it around 180 degrees.  It then shoved it into the back of the motorhome parked in back of it. The tongue of the trailer struck the back of the rig putting a gash in the rear engine panel.  Fortunately there was a yellow concrete pole at the back of the site that stopped the trailer from punching all the way through to the motor. 

It lasted like that for about 15 minutes, then it just settled down to a steady hard rain.  Our bikes and chairs were thrown around, and one of our slide tops were unrolled all the way allowing it to flap in the wind.  Luckily it didn't tear it up and I was able to reroll it back on the tube when the wind stopped.  Man, we don't have that kind of weather in So. Cal!

And as usual, me sitting idle in one place for an extended period of time is dangerous. I start thinking of ways to mod the coach. And people love coming here to Red Bay because parts and labor to make changes to the rig are plentiful. Bad combination! 

So here's my deal. The only thing I would have changed/added to the new coach is an exterior TV. We love spending time outside, and Diane likes doing the morning aerobics with her favorite DVD's in the fresh air whenever possible. So I started planning. A little research showed that there are a few places here in town that will do the install of the exterior TV, but both are way backed up. One was quoting appointment dates in June/July!  And the cost was pretty pricey, $1700 without the price of the TV. 

So I did some more research and found that I can buy the exterior box and door that Tiffin installs when the rigs are produced. I did some
Intel at the Tiffin factory for the exact location of support beams and electrical wiring in the walls. And I have to say, everybody I talked to on the factory floor bent over backwards to help me get the info I needed. I was extremely impressed with their attitude towards their customers. 

So with all of the research done, I decided I am going to cut the hole and mount the exterior TV box myself, probably saving at least 50% on paying someone to do the install. Now I just have to get over the nerves of cutting a hole in the side of my new rig! I already have the 32" Vizio that I am going to mount in the box, and I can pull the needed HDMI cables from the interior TV that sits just 2' away on the inside of the rig. Power is already present, and I can remove the fireplace on the inside of the rig for full access to the back side of the exterior TV. I can get Tiffin to paint the new door when I get some other paint touch up done when I get in for service.

I think I have thought of everything that I need to pull this off.  I hope!
Marty--

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »
And I thought drilling into the roof to mount my solar panels was scary. You da man Marty. I think you're right about there being room though - and you couldn't be in a better place to take on a project like that. Ours came with an outside entertainment center but I really didn't know if it would get much use. Well, it has. When we're boondocking, which we do a fair amount of, we use it a lot. A bunch of us were watching "Captain Phillips" in the middle of the Arizona desert the other night - was actually pretty fun (ruffin-it ya know).

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »
Yeah buddy! That's my idea of "roughin' it!  We used the outside TV on the Journey all the time.  I do miss it.  And besides, what could go wrong?!?!?
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »
We have been in Red Bay, Al at the Tiffin motor home service center since my last entry.  We haven't moved location, but a lot has happened none the less.  We got into a service bay on 4/9, after being here since 3/27.  It felt like a long time, but we feel pretty good since we were quoted that it could have been 3 weeks to get into a service bay due to the sheer number of coaches here for service.  At last count, there were 168 rigs in and around Red Bay waiting to get started. 

However, I must say that since we got in and started the service process with Tony our tech, we have been very pleased with the quality of work, and the "can do" attitude. Nothing we have asked for has been denied, and they  go out of their way to make you feel like royalty.  Tiffin's legendary customer service was one of the reasons we went with this company this time around.

Tomorrow starts day 4, and we have several other items to take care of.  But we are still in a full hook up site and it's free. 

In between the service appointments, I started working on the exterior wall TV install.  Due to Tiffin's willingness to supply any info needed to start the project I was pretty comfortable cutting the hole.  I won't repeat the whole process here as I have made a thread explaining the project in the "remodeling your RV" forum. 

In short, I laid out and cut the hole in the wall of the rig, mounted the box and sealed it in place.  A few days later I built a frame for the articulating TV mount and got it installed. Now I am waiting for the new TV to arrive tomorrow from Amazon.  I thought I was going to be able to use the current basement TV, but I soon realized that the new TV box I installed is for a new style "slim line" TV. 

So I purchased one from Amazon, and will put the existing TV and slide mount up for sale. 

Below are just a few pics of the install, and I will add the final ones when the project finishes up. We have also done some touring around, and Diane has been posting updates on her travel blog. The web address is in my signature at the bottom of the page. 

Thanks for stopping by!
Marty--

Poppys 5th Wheel

• ---
  • Retired Living in Carlsbad, CA
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »
Okay, you guys are just not updating this thread or the blog enough :)
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2009 Cadillac CTS
2007 Corvette Z51
2016 GMC Denali 3500
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 08:27:24 PM »
Thanks Paul!  Diane just did hers, but I have been remiss.  The biggest news I have (since I still am in Red Bay) is the incredible list of fixes and repairs that have been done by the tech, all without a bit of complaint.  The tech tracked down a sewer smell that we persistently had in the bathroom, an occasional exhaust smell inside the coach, (both were fixed with expanding foam in the appropriate places).

A new microwave, a slide adjustment, a water leak in the water heater cabinet, replaced a few broken HDMI cables, a re-situated sewer vent cover, a new tankless water heater, a replaced step tread cover, a new kitchen faucet, a new propane regulator, a new patio awning, and 4 new slide tops, and repaired a leaking water line in the bathroom.  When the DVD player unexpectedly died, they replaced it with a new Blue Ray player. 

While it seems like this is an extensive list, about half of it is directly attributed to the dealer, either by not taking care of the rig while it sat on their lot, or through bungled attempts at repair.

All of the above was paid for on Tiffins dime without complaint.  One item I did change out that wasn't broken was the stove top. Diane saw the new stove top that the neighbor had and fell in love with it.  It was a stainless steel stove top with sealed burners. The existing stove top had big spaces around the burners that allowed all kinds of debris to fall through to the bottom.  Not any more!  It was worth it, and it looks cool. 

Today I spent part of a day in the cabinet shop getting some dents and scraped wood parts redone. 

Maybe tomorrow we can get into the tile bay to get our cracked tile replaced.  All in all things are moving along, and the coach just keeps getting better and better. 

Hopefully my next post will be about us leaving Red Bay and heading to Stone Mountain Ga to visit with the SIL. 

But hey, it's all part of the adventure!
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »
Well, after 37 days we made it out of Red Bay! Kind of.  For 95% of the time we spent there we had a great experience with the whole service aspect we received on nearly every facet of the repair.  We had great techs and great service in the service bay, the cabinet shop, and the tile shop.  Then we hit the paint bay and our luck changed.  We were assigned a young guy (23 years old) and he sounded like he knew what he was doing.  Well, not so much. 

I think that he had skills, but he was usually preoccupied with drama from a breakup with his younger girlfriend, or hanging out all night at Walmart to see who she was seeing.  This all added up to some unsatisfactory work on a key part of the new paint job, my new exterior TV door.  Granted there are a significant amount of lines and colors on the surface, but the door is about 32X26 inches, not real big.  He wound up completely repainting the door twice, and it still is not right.  When we went to the office to "discuss" the issues we had, we ultimately decided that we were not going to wait around the weekend and come back Monday for another try.

We had already used up all of our cushion and were now bumping up against other appointments and reservations we had already made. So we decided to leave and come back June 1st to get the final paint work straightened out.  We kept our file open so there will be no wait time when we return. It should be a quick visit. The paint shop manager acknowledged that the job was lacking, and promised to put his best guy on it when we return. 

We left Red Bay and headed for Stone Mountain, Georgia where we stayed for two days in their RV campground while we visited family. It is a nice campground with several different loops, most with full hook ups. The themed park is a historical remembrance of the Confederacy during the Civil war. It is not only historical, but they also have regular family variety shows on a regular basis. If you are in the area, just outside of Atlanta, it's worth a stop.  There is also a golf course and a nice restaurant on the property. 

We pulled out of Stone Mountain on Monday May 5th and headed for Gaffney, South Carolina. I was hoping to get the first service on the new rig, and there is no better place than Freightliner in Gaffney.  They are not only an Oasis Service center, but is also the training center for Frieghtliner Chassis, which are built at the nearby factory.  There is also a factory tour you can take Monday thru Friday just by signing up.  I had called Gaffney to see about an appointment when I was at the point I could estimate my departure from Red Bay. I knew it was a long shot, but worth a try.  When I spoke to Pat on the phone (she has worked Gaffney's front desk forever and is a sweetheart) she confirmed that they were already into June with their appointments.  She did recommend though that I could come up and get a spot in their campground, and if there was a cancellation or a job finished up early then I could slide in. 

So we arrived Monday about 1 PM and signed up. I was happy to see that the list for walk ins only had one name on it.  We took a space in the campground (a lot in back of the service center with 50 amp service and a dump station) and waited.  The next morning I got up early and was in the office right after they opened the door at 7:45.  I asked Pat what the wait looked like, and she asked the shop manager who was standing in back of her.  He said that one of his appointments had just cancelled, and that we were up!  20 minutes later a tech came out to the coach and pulled us in for our maintenance.  Due to the unusual circumstance of our motorhome being built in April of 2012, but us not buying it until October of 2013, she recommended that we go ahead with a 24 month service to bring us into compliance with our warranty. 

At the end of the day we were back in our spot with all the maintenance done, and ready to pull out Tuesday morning.  Just as an FYI, if you go to Gaffney for service and are FMCA and a Freightliner Custom Chassis Club member, you qualify for 10-15% off labor and parts. Well worth your time to sign up!

We drove from Gaffney to Richmond Hill, Georgia to the Savannah South KOA.  We will be here for 2 nights and then head to a beach campground in Florida.  The KOA is decent, kind of a typical KOA. It's not too close to the highway though, so road noise isn't overwhelming.  We paid $39 a night for a FHU site. They do have a pool though, we may hit tomorrow as the temps are going to be in the low 90's. 

The entry wouldn't be complete without an accounting of the "extra mods" that I did, or will be completing from my time at Red Bay.

1) The outside TV is up and working great.
2) Installed a new sealed burner stainless steel cook top for Diane.
3) Picked up a new, never installed electric cord reel. One of the next mods.
4) Had the over head TV removed and replaced with matching cabinets.
5) Wired a 110v outlet in the closet to plug in my router and power booster. Added another 15 amp breaker in the electric panel to control the outlet.
6) Modified my existing computer stand next to the recliners. Now it is free standing, not in the chair cupholder.
7) Picked up a bunch of spare parts (most freebies) in case of on the road failure of a already warrantied part.

And at last I will include a pic of the TV door, as it currently looks.  There is a lot of room for improvement.........
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:02:39 PM by SargeW »
Marty--

Hosted by Over The Network