EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Eastward HO!!- Just the facts Maam!  (Read 7359 times)

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
Re: Eastward HO!!- Just the facts Maam!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
Sarge,

The old saying was always, "don't buy anything that comes off the line on Monday or Friday". Monday, still hung over from the weekend, and Friday, itching to get to the cabin "up north". Not concentrating on the job at hand.

It appears you had a Monday or Friday guy....every day! Its nice that Tiffen is going to make it right. Wonder if the "kid" will still be there in June.

Stan

05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
I was kinda wondering that too Stan.  Maybe they will find him a more suitable job.......
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »
From Savannah we went to the Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort.  It sounds really fancy, but instead it's just really expensive. The unique thing about this park is that it is reputed to be the only campground on the east coast that the sites are directly on the beach.  And they are, at least some of them. The front row sites pull you in right up to a walkway and a seawall.  The seawall is about 8' above the beach and there are stairs down to the beach.  The beach is kind of a crushed rock, not really sand.  Dogs on leash are allowed on the beach.

We were there for a long weekend, and I was surprised how empty the place was.  It must have been the cost keeping many folks away. A front row site during the week goes for $115 a day, and jumps to $130 on the weekend.  There is not much in the way of amenities there, so again the word "resort" is used pretty loosely.  We had a 3 night stay planned.  But on arrival our intended site was soaked with water, and had a couple huge holes from the previous rigs front tires digging in the wet dirt.  We went to the office and complained and they offered us another site of our choice. To their credit the manager also offered us an extra night free.  At $115 I couldn't pass it up. 

The spot on the ocean was really nice, but it still wasn't worth the price they wanted. We ate a few local places that were decent, but nothing to write home about.  When we left there we had planned a two day stop in Lake Worth, Fl and then on to the Keys.  Since we stayed an extra day at the beach it was going to be a one day layover before the Keys.  We were monitoring the weather, and a storm was coming in that was due to hit the keys for about 3 of our 4 day stay at Bahia Honda SP. 

So I made an executive decision and headed west to central Florida. Traveling 400 miles down there and back to get rained on for 3 days didn't make good sense to me.  We found a place in Central Florida off of highway 60.

It's a real nice place called River Ranch RV Resort. (There is that "resort" thing again).  However, this time it was a better fit. It is a owner operated park with 5 different phases. The latest phase, 5 is a series of pads built around one of the canals off of the Kissimmee river. They are all concrete pads surrounded by grass and lush trees.  Each pad also has it's own boat dock on the canal.  The resort also offers stables for horse back riding, a restaurant, general store, fitness center (which was closed for remodel), a saloon,  and a post office. On Saturday night there is a rodeo will Bull Riding, Barrel Racing, and events for the kids.  The cost was only $15 a person and it was a lot of fun.  We paid $65 a night, but we got a deal that if you stayed 5 nights you got 2 nights free.  That effectively made the cost $56 a night. 

The only real drawback to this resort is that there is nothing close to here for shopping.  The closest stores are 30 miles either direction, so your best bet is to stock up before you get here.   

We rented a pontoon boat on a Saturday afternoon to explore the river.  A 20' pontoon boat was $60 and hour, or $110 for two hours.  Two hours was plenty, and it was a nice way to spend the afternoon.  The pup was even allowed on the boat, and she enjoyed it immensely.   

If passing through Central Florida again, I would stay here again.  And if you get a chance, stop by Diane's travel blog, she has added a few new entries as well!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:01:37 PM by SargeW »
Marty--

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
I feel your pain on the Beverly beach stay, we found that on our last trip to Long Key that it was just as close to the beach and it was a much nicer than Beverly. The eateries at Marathon or Islamorada were a lot better than the ones at Beverly also.

We used to hunt at River Ranch before it started the resort....years ago, lots of hogs and deer. Havent been there since. The water should be very low in the Kissimmee river now, they are getting ready for rainy season and hurricanes.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »
Actually the water level in Kissimmee was pretty high Will.  We just had a bunch of rain here last week though. Beverly Beach is pretty much a residential area now. 
Marty--

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
Maybe that 's where our water went, The creek at our house can be walked across without getting your belt wet. Our water drains to the Kissimmee River thru East Lake Tohopekaliga. The only way to get to the lake now is with the airboat.

A group of us were just talking about how over rated and over priced Beverly beach has become. One of the group goes to a campground in Ormond Beach that is right on the Ocean and they claim it is much nicer also.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »
From River Ranch our next stop was Williston Crossing.  It is another central Florida RV resort, but this one was a lot more reasonably priced.  At a little less than $40 a night, it was easier on the pocket book. There are 5 different phases at this park, and phase 5 is the newest.  Strangely we were not offered a site in the new phase, which would have been much easier for us to get into with our rig.  We didn't know about phase 5 until we took the dog for a walk and found it.  We had to decline the first site they put us in due to trees and hardscape that made it impossible to get the rig in. 

Since there was not a lot going on in the city of Williston, we drove to Cedar Key one afternoon.  Although not actually a "Key" like down in the southern Keys, it is still an interesting older part of Florida history.  We had lunch at a pet friendly outdoor bar and grill.  The grouper sandwiches were great, and the views of the Gulf were cool.  The biggest negatives were the high humidity (wimpy west coasters) and the love bugs were everywhere. 

After leaving Williston the Memorial Day weekend was upon us, and Diane had reserved us a spot at the Emerald Coast RV Resort in Panama City Beach.  Another pricey RV resort, but in a nice location.  Arriving on Friday afternoon was a bit of a chore, as the traffic on the local roads was thick.  The RV park is not on the coast, but about a mile off.  The humidity was better, but still present. Either way, the AC units still got a good workout.   At least the lovebugs hadn't migrated that close to the coast yet. The biggest irratation here was that they advertise a whole bunch of ammenities that justify the price of the resort.  So on Saturday we hit the workout room to get some of the kinks out.  It was upstairs over the laundry and shower rooms, and was actually in pretty good shape.  Except that no one had bothered to switch the AC on, and the 85 degree temps at 8 AM were a little much to handle.  The office was going to send somebody, but they must have got lost and never showed up. 

Most of the park was jammed full, and families were enjoying themselves everywhere.  On Sunday we drove down the main drag on the beach front.  The city has made lots of beach accesses through the various businesses and condo's for the public.  One thing I did note was that there were several scooter rentals on the beach, and there were scooters everywhere, all without helmets or training.  I almost squashed a few as some of the riders were a little shaky.   It reminded me a lot of the beach front in Myrtle beach.  A little 60's mixed in with a little 90's architecture.  It was a fun weekend stay though. 

Then we left the beach on Memorial Day Monday, and on Tuesday morning it was GROUNDHOG DAY!  Yep, we drove back to Red Bay, Alabama to hopefully have our paint shop issues addressed.  The now infamous TV door is on the agenda, as well as getting some stress cracks in the rear engine cover addressed.  I will be here 5 days tops, then I am leaving, with our without the parts painted! 

We did get into a paint bay on Tuesday, and work has started.  We will see how this shapes up..........
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
Well, the stay in Red Bay was fairly short. But it could have been handled better from the start.  We went back to the paint shop to get the TV door repainted for the THIRD time. We dropped it off in the bay and spoke to the paint shop manager, Brad.  I made it abundantly clear that "Billy" was not going to be the tech painting the door.  "No problem, I will take care of it".  So we left and went to lunch and run some other errands.  We got back and I went to survey the progress.  And guess what?  Billy has not only prepped the door, he has REPAINTED IT.  And it looks worse than ever.  Now I am about to lose my mind.  I am normally pretty cool, and will approach all situations objectively.  Not anymore. 

So now we go to the head man in charge of the operation, Wade. We lay out our story, complete with pics on Diane's laptop.  We let him  know that we are NOT HAPPY with the paint shop. To his credit, he is very understanding, and states that this issue will be handled.  We left Wade's office with our fingers crossed.  A long story short, when we returned later, Thomas had been assigned to repaint the door, and it looks PERFECT!  I guess the fourth time is really the charm.  And due to all of our aggravation, the paint fee for the TV door was comped. Tiffin really is a class operation.

From Tiffin we went to LeFleurs State Park in Jackson Mississippi. It may have been a good state park campground, but not in the rainy weather. They had cement slabs for the RV's, but they were only about 20' long, so half of the RV was still in the dirt.  And mix in a little rain, and it all turned to sticky mud. The 50 amp at the site would not hook up, so I wound up using a 30 amp adapter to get power into the rig.  At least the price was reasonable at $18 a night. 

From there we went to the Cajun Palms RV Resort, in Breaux Bridge, LA. A really all inclusive resort with tons of stuff for families, including a water park and huge play pool.  The biggest irritation with this park was the insistence that all patrons must wear a plastic wrist band, 24 hours a day. And they clip on to your wrist, and don't come off.  We raised a bit of an objection to the bands, and the girl at the desk let us put them on loosely enough to slide them off when we were not in the pool area.  Sleeping with the thing on would have drove me nuts. At about $40 a night it was a good park, but on the weekends it had the reputation for being crazy with tons of people, and kids racing around in golf carts. 

Next stop was Jamaica Beach RV Resort, in Galveston TX.  This was our first ever trip to Galveston, so we were excited to explore. Galveston had miles and miles of beach front, some on the Gulf of Mexico, and some on the bay. While we could definitely see the fascination with the area, we were not there in the prime time of the year.  From being westerners, we are used to going to the beach to escape the warm weather and summer heat.  Not so much in Galveston. The daily temps were in the 90's, along with the humidity!  Being outside for too long in the heat of the day was tough, and we spent a lot of time in the comfort of the AC in the rig.  We did go out and explore the local area, but mostly from the comfort of the Jeep with the air on.  Lounging on the beach was not much of a possibility.  The RV park was fair, but pretty jammed and not too close to the water, even for a water view. At about $43 a night, it was only fair.  We tried to use the gym, but it was jammed with junk and not in service.

Currently we are in Austin, TX at the Oak Forest RV park.  It is decent, but is a bit over rated. We were assigned site #9, which is unfortunately the worst site in the park.  It is reversed from the site next door, which means that you are right next to your neighbors rig, staring at his entry door.  Pickin's are slim right now though, as the "X Games" are in town, and many places are sold out.  It is close to Austin downtown area though, and we toured the state capitol, which was really cool.   We will make a point to come back to Austin in a cooler time of the year. 

We continue to work our way across Texas, and head west back to So. Cal.  We are still having fun, and the rig is working well.  Diane had updated the travel blog, and more adventures are just ahead!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:46:27 PM by SargeW »
Marty--

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »
Marty, glad to hear that the TV door got painted to your expectations - finally. (I know how you are about your MH).

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
Yeah, you are right Kev.  It's a sickness. It somethings not right, I am either going to make it right, or screw around with it long enough until it's really broken!  Then I can justify paying someone to do it.........
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 10:53:01 PM »
After leaving Austin we headed to Sonora Texas to visit the "Caverns of Sonora". A cave system that was discovered in Sonora in 1905. We have toured several caverns around the country, and the Sonora Caverns are pretty remarkable.  They are "living caverns", that is to say that the many formations through out the cave are still forming and expanding.  One interesting thing about these caverns was how warm and humid they were.  The other caverns we have toured, like Karchner in Arizona, and Carlsbad in New Mexico, are all in the mid 60's and chilly.  The Sonora Caverns were 85 degrees, and about 90% humidity.  Even at the lowest reaches of the Cavern, which was approx 155' deep.  Definitely worth the trip though. Admission to the Cavern was $20 for adults, and children were $12.  They have a RV park at the caverns which has electric and water.  There are about 8 hook up spots and several other dry sites.  The W/E sites were $20 a night.  The RV park was nothing special, but there is a gift shop on site that has a lot of pretty cool trinkets from the cave. 

A few one nighters to get us across Texas has brought us to Silver City, NM.  We are staying at Rose Valley Ranch RV park. It is a truly South Western atmosphere, desert fauna, red rocks and cactus, and dirt and gravel sites.  The owners have constructed "privacy fences" between the sites built out of aged old wood and stone.  A nice way to not have to look too closely at your neighbor.  It is a "Passport America" park, so the 2 night stay is only $30.  Tomorrow we go exploring in the area Gila Cliff Dwellings.

And Silver City is at 5800 elevation, so the days are a little milder than the 100+ degree days we had in Austin and Galveston. And tonight is actually going to get down to the 60's!   
Marty--

Hosted by Over The Network