Visiting Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firechief31024

Would love to visit Canada and learning a lot from this forum.  As a Marine I have traveled all around the world "visiting" and learned a lot about different cultures.  Respecting the rules of the host Country is one of them.  This trip will be a lot different since I am taking my wife and kids, instead of just me and a bunch of Marines/Navy personnel that I definitely know have my back.  Military wise Canada is a friend.  In the civilian sector and as a visitor I ask how is the crime/danger factor in the Country and can I keep my family and myself safe?  I am sure it is just like the U.S., but at least in the U.S. I have my Second Amendment Rights.  Any input is greatly appreciated as well as any areas to stay away from.  Thanks.

We felt quite safe when visiting the Maritimes by RV. I've similarly felt safe when flying in to western Canada and BC. Maybe our Canadian members will comment on areas to stay away from.

Firechief.....as a Canadian citizen, who travels frequently between the US and Canada both with and without our RV, our countries are extremely similar...I feel at home when I am in your country and I am sure you will feel the same in ours. Just like there are areas of the US you would probably caution against visiting, there are areas in mine that would be the same. I am sure that for the most part, you will feel at home. One major thing to be aware of is in the area of firearms. Perhaps some gun enthusiasts/hunters may give some more insight...although it is very common for American citizens to come hunt in Canada, and cross the border with firearms, the Canadian border agents will ask if you are bringing firearms across.
Just take a few minutes to research the metric system so you know your speed limits. :eek:  100km/hr=62m.p.h.......50km/hr which is pretty common through towns and villages would be 30m.p.h.

What area are you planning to visit?

Come and enjoy! I hope our friendly hospitality makes you want to return!

Rick

We visit Canada fairly often - usually passing through as it is the shortest route to New England from Michigan.  We have taken our RVs through, and camped there on several occasions.

In general, it is a lot like the USA, but with a few cultural differences.  Trips to the supermarket are always interesting - and a good way to see how things may be different!  The only advice I can give is, when crossing the borders (either way), BE POLITE!  Do not be a "wise ass" or joke about what is going on.  I always have our passports in my hand, opened to the identification page - and the agents seem to appreciate that.  Also, with an RV, be sure to check if there is a specific RV lane - if you are not in it, you will be asked to back up, and move over to the proper lane.  They are sometimes not easy to identify - crossing from Canada to the USA at Niagara, the lane is the one on the left - and, unless they have fixed it, it was NOT marked!  Don't ask how I know!

Remember the rules, no guns or ammunition, limit the alcohol your want to bring across the border.  As long as none of you have a felony conviction, including DWI you should have no problems.

Aye, good point inscop. I should check those library articles in case any of them mentions only needing a driver's license.

Absolutely no hand guns in Canada!  All long guns must be registered, and only a limited amount of ammo.  I just read where you can apply for a different type of U.S. state drivers lic and use it to get into Canada instead of a passport.  It seemed to be more expensive and take longer get .  My brother in law lives in Canada and we have visited him several times and have hunted there a lot.  I have never felt unsafe.  We have been treated very well.  When we hunted Manitoba  the land owner, whom we had never met before,  told us pull the camper up beside his garage and an electrical outlet was there to plug into.  He also told us about the refrig in the garage that was full beer and to help ourselves.  The 1st morning his wife came out and told us breakfast was ready and to come in and eat.  Be happy, be nice and you will enjoy.  We stayed one night in the MH in the parking 100' away from Niagara Falls one night and nobody bothered us at all.

As a duel citizen of both Canada and the United Sates I have always felt safer in Canada yes there are some parts of the larger centers where you probably do not want to take your family but even there the chances of any altercation is slim.
When Crossing the border make sure there is no undeclared firearms or ammo check under everything even a used casing can cause a lot of trouble at the border.
Funny thing is the only time I felt unsafe camping in Canada it was because we were camped beside some very rowdy police officers. 

As the others said, no firearms/ammo/etc., limit alcohol and cigarettes, and be friendly.  Canadians are close to us in most respects.  I've never felt unsafe there and everyone has always been friendly across the country.  In fact, when we attended the Expo in Vancouver we talked with a young lady from Montreal.  She said she went everywhere at night alone.  I asked her what she would do if a guy accosted her and she said she'd tell him to "buzz off" which surprised us.  So don't worry about it.  You'll have a great time and probably make some new friends along the way.  You didn't mention what parts of Canada you want to visit.  You probably know that Canada is officially bilingual but when you visit Quebec be prepared for French road signs, French signs in museums, etc.  Many places have no signs in English which can be disconcerting when you encounter a construction zone on a freeway and can't read the signs!

ArdraF

Over the past 12 years DW and I have traveled all across Canada. Only French is spoken parts of Quebec. French and English are spoken in most of the eastern Providences. However, most of the people will greet you in both French and English. All government workers who react with the public must be bilingual. After you respond in English they will continue to talk to you in English. I had the motorhome searched while crossing the border at Niagara Falls. Took about 20 minutes. They were nice and I was nice so there was no problem. I never felt as if I was in danger at any time while I was traveling in Canada. 

I lived in Canada all my live and have visited this country with my dw, dd, dis from Montreal to the west coast and have never felt uncomfortable at any time. You still have to know your surroundings, it's really no different in your country, we have traveled your country mostly the west side from border to az. I think you will be very comfortable here, at least up here we don't carry fire arms under our jackets. I feel very comfortable in your country so come on up, and leave your money.
1us gal =3.73l just looked at local stn gas $1.289 per l
diesel $1.499 per l
Pay more for beer and all hard liquor -but are beer is way stronger and better

Kdcamper  2011chev 3500 cclt 2013 Rockwood 8329ss. d.p. husky centreline air safe ride hitch

We spent a month in Alberta and BC this past summer with two of our grandsons.  We had carefully read the requirements for border crossing with minor children who aren't your own kids and the border agents on the Canadian side were professional and we had no problems getting through.  We have spent many summer months in Canada, both English and French-speaking, and we have always felt welcome.  Our current plans call for going to the Maritime provinces this year. 

We are generally a pretty friendly bunch.  ;D As in the U.S. our major cities have areas to be avoided but you will likely not encounter many unless you are seriously lost, most are not conducive to rv travel. Old habits die hard but please leave the military attitude and artillery at home and enjoy the journey.

There are quite a few Canadians that have lived to a ripe old age without being murdered in spite of the absence of a second amendment ...incredible!

No, we haven't.  I'm getting back to the original topic.  On one of our trips to Newfoundland we were overnighting in a shopping center parking lot.  While I was fixing dinner a car very slowly drove in our direction and then circled us several times.  Naturally we wondered why - something wrong?  distinctive motorhome?  size of motorhome?  what?  Eventually the driver stopped and came to the door.  Seems he had visited California once and enjoyed it so much that he wanted to let us Californians (recognized the license plate) know he wanted us to enjoy his home province as he had enjoyed our state.  The "Newfies" are incredibly friendly!

ArdraF

Sure hope we didn't scare off the OP. Firechief...hasnt been back since the OP, and that was his first post...

Rick

Back
Top Bottom