EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Visiting Canada  (Read 6687 times)

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
Re: Visiting Canada
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
I live about 14 miles south of the Canadian border and have visited Canada many times in the past 40 years.
All the above advice is very good.

I would like to add that if there is anything criminal in your past,there is a good chance they will know about it.
I have a retired friend who recently crossed the border and was asked if he had ever been in jail.He replied that he had not.
They asked him "What about San Diego in 1959"?
Apparently he had forgotten about an indiscretion right after he gotten out of Navy boot camp,and was surprised when the agent brought it up!
They let him go,but will not let you in if you have a DUI or a felony of any kind. There are hoops you can jump through to get permission if you have something in your past,but it is time consuming (months)and there are fees involved.
Be honest if you have something minor in your past.
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

poncho62

• ---
    • Budget RVs
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »

Also, I'm half a day's drive from the Mexican border.  If I were to travel all the way north with my (permitted) conceal carry, is there anyplace along the border where I could secure my pistol before I crossed?  As a single female, I really don't like the idea of driving clear across the country without protection.

Dont want to dwell on the gun thing, but I think this statement says it all....I have seen this said many times Americans wanting to visit Canada......My question is,,,Whay are you not willing to cross your own country unarmed, but are perfectly willing to come into our country unarmed? Says a lot about the percieved safety of Canada, dont you think?

Hanover, Ontario, Canada

RVn00b

• ---
  • '06 Winnebago Outlook 27L
    • Cat O'Nine Tales
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Why am I willing to enter into Canada unarmed, but reticent to travel across my own country unarmed?  One, because it's your country, not mine.  If I could enter Canada packin' I would.  But I am a guest in your house and I will abide by your rules.  After all, that is the price of admission.

Also,  I've been to Canada before.  Y'all ARE as polite as your reputation.  Besides, try as one might, there is only one thing that will rile a Canuck:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVPDL89FQ1M
Kaylee: So, um, how come you don't care where you're going?
Shepherd Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »
Actually the trip I made to Alaska 2 years ago I did take a long gun into Canada. Pretty easy process actually. One form filled out in triplicate, one secure gun mounting system, and a $25 temporary license fee. 

I did run into the one Canadian border guard with a bad attitude, but I remained completely professional, and he eventually calmed down.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Foxysdad

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 12:09:51 AM »
Just so you know  we do not play hockey in the summer  but we do drink beer  :-)
Howard Kelly, Sherry Bryon, and our furry creature Foxy
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax
2011 Trail Blazer trailer
Always looking for SUNSHINE

Life is short, dance like no one is watching

RVn00b

• ---
  • '06 Winnebago Outlook 27L
    • Cat O'Nine Tales
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
S'alright, Foxysdad.  We even have hockey here in central Texas.  I love it!
Kaylee: So, um, how come you don't care where you're going?
Shepherd Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.

Pocket Rocket

• ---
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »
From one Fire Chief (retired) to another, come on up to Canada and enjoy.  Your country and mine are two of the world’s great democracies who took different paths to independence, and therefore have different laws/customs.  Yours was formed by brave revolutionaries fighting a despot English king.  Ours was formed over ninety years later by negotiation with a newly democratic England.  Neither culture is right or wrong, we’re just slightly different – “Vive la Différence”.

Contrary to some recent social network misinformation, yes we have our own Constitution http://www.pco-bcp.gc.ca/aia/index.asp?lang=eng&page=canada&sub=constitution and our own Bill of Rights called the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms  http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html.  Both are different than yours due to the different methods our two countries took to obtain independence.

I have had the good fortune to spend the last three winters RVing in the US southwest, and never once felt unsafe.  I’m sure that if you come to up to Canada you will have a similar rewarding experience – "eh".
Edit: Fixed links.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:06:17 AM by Pocket Rocket »
Chief Randy (Retired)
2003 Sierra 2500 HD 8.1 L Gas
2004 Topaz 5er

"They don’t generally call the Fire Department because someone did something smart."

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »
    Without trying to initiate any "gun debate", please note from the following Canadian Government site that US regulations are even more restrictive for us to bring firearms into the USA.  So Sarge, you found it relatively easy to bring along a long gun (rifle) we just can't bring ours here. 
   http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/residents/us-eu-eng.htm

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
    Without trying to initiate any "gun debate", please note from the following Canadian Government site that US regulations are even more restrictive for us to bring firearms into the USA.  So Sarge, you found it relatively easy to bring along a long gun (rifle) we just can't bring ours here. 
   http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/residents/us-eu-eng.htm

Ed
maybe not, but at least we will allow an ex-DUI driver to come on in and enjoy our country.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:33:33 PM by TonyDtorch »

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 10:15:37 AM »
we just can't bring ours here.   
Ed
It does look like you can bring a gun here for hunting purposes Ed, but you must have a hunting license first.  And there is an application process that goes along with it, which may be lengthy.  A very good point Ed, thanks.   
Marty--

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
     Sarge, that would require that I actually was going hunting, we come to your fair country as a snowbird, to swim and lap up the sun (notably diminished this year).  What the OP and the postings refer to are carrying for protection.
     Tony, I'm not sure about a DUI, but we can be banned for up 10 years for spending an extra day here in excess of our 6 month allowance .

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Pocket Rocket

• ---
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
An explanation of why visitors to Canada having DUI's on their records may not be admitted.  In Canada impaired driving is an offence under the Federal Criminal Code.  Ex-DUI's are treated at the border like any other potential visitors with an unpardoned criminal conviction, and can be excluded.
Chief Randy (Retired)
2003 Sierra 2500 HD 8.1 L Gas
2004 Topaz 5er

"They don’t generally call the Fire Department because someone did something smart."

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 03:11:36 PM »
Oh I am aware of that Ed, and Canada has the same policy for long guns. I took the long gun into Canada for "wild animal protection", which I did. If I had written that it was for "personal protection" they would have spun me around in a heart beat and sent me packing. 
Marty--

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
    Is the retired police Sargent saying that he did not tell the truth and the whole truth to the border officer  ;)  In our case, the penalty of getting caught telling an untruth is not worth the risk, plus we would need to show them a copy of the hunting license.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Kdcamper

• ---
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
It seems that everybody is dwelling on the fire arm issue instead of the most important part. The journey and the memories that can be had in this country. The diverse scenery and cultures that we have here make this country so unique. It would be so sad if that is was the only reason not to come and visit this country, wether you do the west or east, we have so much to offer.

Kdcamper  2011 Chev 3500 lt cc rockwood 8329ss d.p. Husky centreline air ride hitch

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
Nope. I am saying that the reason stated was exactly what I brought it in for. And in 2 instances at campgrounds we were warned checking in that walking with our dog may be dangerous due to recent bear sightings in and around the campground.
Marty--

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
On being nice...I have a friend who with several other hunters went to Canada on a duck hunting trip. They had all gotten their permits to take their shotguns into Canada and were in the process of clearing customs at the airport. One gentleman thought that the custom officers were taking to long to process him through and in a loud voice let them know that he was in a hurry. After a few clicks on the computer the custom officer noted that he had a record of have a DUI 20 years ago and that he could not enter Canada. All the other hunters were process through with out the computer check.
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

buchanan

• ---
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
even with all the super Canadian border check gun control,  and yet it's still very easy for the Canadian outlaw motorcycle clubs to get hand guns.

it makes me think of that old saying... "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns".
what your missing entirely is the fact hand guns are legal in Canada.they are not outlawed at all and there are thousands of them.I personally have a 44 mag Black hawk ruger and a matching 22 long.Its the use and carry of them that's severly restricted. basically can not carry a hand gun.need permit to transport it and only can get one(permit) if you belong to gun club and want to go to it and practise

Hosted by Over The Network