Visiting Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a similar experience to Ardra when we visited New Brunswick. When we came out of a Canadian Tire store, several folks came up to us independently after spotting the California plates on our car. They were all very welcoming and took time to socialize with us. Unfortunately, the reception in Quebec Province wasn't as welcoming.

Tom, consider Quebec a Country..within a Country When in Rome etc.
I worked for a Quebec company for several years  while in B.C. It was a challenge.

The one time I visited Canada, I flew, so I can't attest to border crossing.  However, I will say that the entire time I spent in Alberta and British Columbia (with the sole exception of one "hick town" where I stopped between Calgary and Edmonton), I was treated like a queen.  I have ached to get back to western Canada ever since.  I could be struck blind tomorrow and would be content with my memory of flying over the brilliant sunshine-yellow swaths of Saskatchewan's canola fields in bloom.  :)  I so want to see Saskatchewan and Manitoba a lot more close-up than 30K feet.

But it DOES beg the question--I have long heard that the Canadian border patrol has a reputation for giving vehicles with NRA membership stickers a difficult time.  Can anyone confirm or refute this?  Although I am a Life Member, I don't have anything on my car that proclaims my pro-2nd Amendment stance (heck, the only identifying info on my car other than my tags and the dealership logo are my plate frames from the University of Georgia Alumni Association, and a one-decade auto rosary and Divine Mercy prayer card hanging from my rear view mirror). 

Also, I'm half a day's drive from the Mexican border.  If I were to travel all the way north with my (permitted) conceal carry, is there anyplace along the border where I could secure my pistol before I crossed?  As a single female, I really don't like the idea of driving clear across the country without protection.

We (US Border Patrol) get that question all the time.  The truth is, no one is going to take responsibility for your weapon while you are on the other side of the border.  Maybe I should open a franchise operation with lockers where you can deposit your guns and other stuff you don't want to cross with.

Our humble opinions, based on more that 20 trips into Canada form the Pacific Northwest mostly by boat, but some by land to snow ski at whistler.

1. Canada, specifically British Columbia: A wonderful place to visit and see. Great destinations and something for everyone. Awesome mountains, parks, cities.  Generally safe and clean. GREAT people and hospitality. We've returned almost every year because we like it.

2. Border Crossing (both directions): Have a passport or other proof of citizenship for every one.  Some states like WA offer enhanced DLs that work, but we carry our passports anyway. Bringing pets (like we do)? Bring evidence of rabies vaccination. Don't carry more alcohol, tobacco, or other items than is allowed (easy to find the limits on government websites). Don't carry prohibited foods and other items.  Leave guns and ammo and home like we do UNLESS you make proper arrangements for long guns in hunting situations. NEVER lie to border crossing officials unless you enjoy long, difficult conversation's.  We've been boarded (on our 47' 1952 Chris Craft) at the customs dock several times in both directions (and once on open water by US Homeland Security) and been thoroughly searched (the boat and us). The same is possible in your RV.  Border crossing officials are almost always polite and pleasant - unless you give them a reason not to be.  We've always been honest (even when carrying somewhat more that the amount of alcohol allowed into Canada) and never had an issue.  A friend was boarded a few years ago with over 60 bottles of undeclared wine, and he paid import duty and a fine to get off the customs dock.  And had a long uncomfortable discussion.

3. I'm a past BATFE Licensed explosive possessor and blaster (and thus easily found in Homeland Security imagery and passport databases used by US Customs) so US customs officials usually smile and let us go with minimal interaction.  Even so, I would NEVER try to conceal anything during a border crossing.

Have fun in Canada!

even with all the super Canadian border check gun control,  and yet it's still very easy for the Canadian outlaw motorcycle clubs to get hand guns.

it makes me think of that old saying... "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns".

RVn00b said:
Also, I'm half a day's drive from the Mexican border.  If I were to travel all the way north with my (permitted) conceal carry, is there anyplace along the border where I could secure my pistol before I crossed?  As a single female, I really don't like the idea of driving clear across the country without protection.

Try to figure out where you will cross the border and check with a local gun shop.  Another alternative would be to get a safety deposit box at a bank close to your crossing point.

Just a couple of thoughts,

I find kind of funny, as I would assume that most lawful people follow the rules, and the ones that are on the other side of the law can find what ever they require. I assume this is for all countries.

This note is for RVnOOb - Sask, Man., are very nice prov. I just happens I live in Sask. So if you need any info ask away I try and help out.c

Kdcamper  2011 Chev 3500 cclt 2013 Rockwood 8329ss d.p. Husky centreline air ride hitch

inscop:  talk about small world!  You're Border Patrol, I work for a private firm under contract with ICE.  Bet we could swap stories over a campfire!
:)
And Kdcamper, I'd love to take you up on that someday.  This year's vacation is spoken for, but I want to go to my bf's old home in Boise next year.  SK woudn't be that much more of a stretch.

Retired BP, actually.  Available for contract work, as long it doesn't entail any REAL work.

And yes, I have plenty of war stories.  I spent a pleasurable night last night swapping stories with a current CBP pilot who stopped by and spent the night.

I live about 14 miles south of the Canadian border and have visited Canada many times in the past 40 years.
All the above advice is very good.

I would like to add that if there is anything criminal in your past,there is a good chance they will know about it.
I have a retired friend who recently crossed the border and was asked if he had ever been in jail.He replied that he had not.
They asked him "What about San Diego in 1959"?
Apparently he had forgotten about an indiscretion right after he gotten out of Navy boot camp,and was surprised when the agent brought it up!
They let him go,but will not let you in if you have a DUI or a felony of any kind. There are hoops you can jump through to get permission if you have something in your past,but it is time consuming (months)and there are fees involved.
Be honest if you have something minor in your past.

RVn00b said:

Dont want to dwell on the gun thing, but I think this statement says it all....I have seen this said many times Americans wanting to visit Canada......My question is,,,Whay are you not willing to cross your own country unarmed, but are perfectly willing to come into our country unarmed? Says a lot about the percieved safety of Canada, dont you think?

Why am I willing to enter into Canada unarmed, but reticent to travel across my own country unarmed?  One, because it's your country, not mine.  If I could enter Canada packin' I would.  But I am a guest in your house and I will abide by your rules.  After all, that is the price of admission.

Also,  I've been to Canada before.  Y'all ARE as polite as your reputation.  Besides, try as one might, there is only one thing that will rile a Canuck:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVPDL89FQ1M

Actually the trip I made to Alaska 2 years ago I did take a long gun into Canada. Pretty easy process actually. One form filled out in triplicate, one secure gun mounting system, and a $25 temporary license fee. 

I did run into the one Canadian border guard with a bad attitude, but I remained completely professional, and he eventually calmed down.

From one Fire Chief (retired) to another, come on up to Canada and enjoy.  Your country and mine are two of the world?s great democracies who took different paths to independence, and therefore have different laws/customs.  Yours was formed by brave revolutionaries fighting a despot English king.  Ours was formed over ninety years later by negotiation with a newly democratic England.  Neither culture is right or wrong, we?re just slightly different ? ?Vive la Diff?rence?.

Contrary to some recent social network misinformation, yes we have our own Constitution http://www.pco-bcp.gc.ca/aia/index.asp?lang=eng&page=canada&sub=constitution and our own Bill of Rights called the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms  http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html.  Both are different than yours due to the different methods our two countries took to obtain independence.

I have had the good fortune to spend the last three winters RVing in the US southwest, and never once felt unsafe.  I?m sure that if you come to up to Canada you will have a similar rewarding experience ? "eh".
Edit: Fixed links.

Without trying to initiate any "gun debate", please note from the following Canadian Government site that US regulations are even more restrictive for us to bring firearms into the USA.  So Sarge, you found it relatively easy to bring along a long gun (rifle) we just can't bring ours here. 
  http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/residents/us-eu-eng.htm

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Without trying to initiate any "gun debate", please note from the following Canadian Government site that US regulations are even more restrictive for us to bring firearms into the USA.  So Sarge, you found it relatively easy to bring along a long gun (rifle) we just can't bring ours here. 
  http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/residents/us-eu-eng.htm

Ed
maybe not, but at least we will allow an ex-DUI driver to come on in and enjoy our country.

Hfx_Cdn said:
we just can't bring ours here. 
Ed
It does look like you can bring a gun here for hunting purposes Ed, but you must have a hunting license first.  And there is an application process that goes along with it, which may be lengthy.  A very good point Ed, thanks. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom