Need 3 extra fingers on one hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've acquired another ukulele for my collection, this one an 8-string tenor. The 'G' strings are tuned an octave apart, one lower than the standard 'G' string. The 'C' strings are also an octave apart, but one is higher than the standard 'C' string. The 'E' and 'A' strings are merely doubled up. I'm not sure how different this ukulele would sound compared to a 6-string ukulele, but I'll find out at Tuesday's practice (one of our band members has a 6-string uke).

The first time I heard one of these 8-string instruments being played, I realized how it "fills" out the sound, and knew I just had to get one. In the short time I've had it, I've played a variety of music with it, and it doesn't disappoint, but there are some things I wouldn't attempt to play on it.

The subject line was, of course, a joke; The strings are played in pairs  ;)

One thing I noticed in the store before buying it was that I had to focus on depressing two strings with each finger, but it didn't take long for this to come naturally, and I no longer have to focus on it.

Aye Larry, but I don't have 12 fingers on one hand  ;D

[quote author=Gord Nelson]
Tom:
Is that similar tuning to a Mandolin?
[/quote]

Not remotely; A mandolin is tuned quite differently.

Here's a picture showing mandolin tuning that Bill described. Attached is a simple chart I threw together showing the comparative tuning of 'open strings' on my ukuleles and plectrum banjo.

Note that, in the case of ukuleles, I've followed the convention of distinguishing between high and low notes with lowercase and uppercase letters. I don't know which of the strings in each pair on a mandolin are high vs low.

Attachments

• Tuning_comparison.png
    Tuning_comparison.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 9
I'd never heard of Adam Steffey, and hadn't noticed his 'signature' on the mandolin in that photo  :-[ Had to google to figure out who he is, but he looks like a neat musician and songwriter. The linked photo is on someone else's web site.

I just finished watching a cool video on Amazon Prime, it is called Jake Shimabukuro: Lfe on Four Strings. It is all about Jake who is the best uke player I have ever heard. The thing that interests me is that through out the entire video they always refer pronounce it oook-a-lele instead of a hard u at the beginning like I have always pronounced it. Anyway watching that guy play I think he does have three extra fingers.

http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Shimabukuro-Life-Four-Strings/dp/B00C888OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396790819&sr=1-1

I've watched a.number of Jake's videos; He's truly an amazing player.

The native Hawaiians in our band continually remind us of the correct pronounciation - 'ookoolele' (not ookalele).

Back
Top Bottom