Long Rifle or Shotgun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket Rocket

Can a Canadian purchase a long rifle or shotgun in the USA?  Would it be legal to carry the rifle/shotgun in an RV for personal protection while traveling to various western US states?

There are restrictions on interstate movement of firearms. I'll let more knowledgeable folks weigh in.

Long guns, shotguns are usually OK, it is handguns and now some states with silly regulations, but not sure how it would reflect with Canadians here in US.

Pocket Rocket said:
Can a Canadian purchase a long rifle or shotgun in the USA?  Would it be legal to carry the rifle/shotgun in an RV for personal protection while traveling to various western US states?

I don't know how it could be done as you have to either be citizen or have a green card as a permanent resident with physical locations etc.  I do believe you could bring one but you would have to check with our immigration/border inspectors to be sure.

If I get to a gun store, I will check.

Interesting question.

I wouldn't do any gun if you'r not a us citizens.  The gun laws are different from state to state.  And what's totally legel in one state can send you to prison in anouther state..  and last time I looked a none resident can't buy a gun that's the first question on the background form.
Once again. Not worth it.  Don't do it

Forgot to add.  Most state park and federal parks don't allow long arm in unless your their for hunting season. 

Robert
A non-resident (not sure about non-citizen), but I am resident of FL.  I can buy a shotgun in WY.  I cannot buy a handgun in WY, only FL.  I can buy a handgun online and have it shipped to an FFL in FL and then pick up in person.

I realize the OP is Canadian, but wanted to clarify what seemed a bit ambiguous in your statement.

Pocket Rocket said:

Pretty scary place this America, eh?  8)

Long gun regulations are much looser than hand gun regulations, That said, I do not know exactly what they are.

We have had several cases of folks taking automatic or semi-automatic weapons and hosing down a restaurant, or mess hall (Military base) or school classroom.. The result has been our government, in many cases, has decided to make it harder and harder for law abiding people to purchase and carry firearms of all kinds...  On first look, this makes sense.

On a second look... Which SOME states are not talking..  One has to wonder.

A nut job goes into a school with a gun and starts shoting.. IF say 10% of the students in that school were legally packing... How swiftly would said Nut Job enjoy the benefits of return fire?  How many lives would be SAVED?  I know one state just made it legal for students to carry IN class.

On the other hand...  What are the chances of one of those students, Suddenly revealing that HE is said nut job?

That is the question: I have tried to present a balanced view,, If you want my vote..  See below

ME
.F
.E
.N
.C
.E

John From Detroit said:
Long gun regulations are much looser than hand gun regulations, That said, I do not know exactly what they are.

We have had several cases of folks taking automatic or semi-automatic weapons and hosing down a restaurant, or mess hall (Military base) or school classroom.. The result has been our government, in many cases, has decided to make it harder and harder for law abiding people to purchase and carry firearms of all kinds...  On first look, this makes sense.

On a second look... Which SOME states are not talking..  One has to wonder.

A nut job goes into a school with a gun and starts shoting.. IF say 10% of the students in that school were legally packing... How swiftly would said Nut Job enjoy the benefits of return fire?  How many lives would be SAVED?  I know one state just made it legal for students to carry IN class.

On the other hand...  What are the chances of one of those students, Suddenly revealing that HE is said nut job?

That is the question: I have tried to present a balanced view,, If you want my vote..  See below

ME
.F
.E
.N
.C
.E

What steps have gun enthusiasts taken to prevent the next shooting? I don't buy the argument that having more guns around is a valid response. More guns will simply result in more misuse. Traveling through Canada, the road signs are intact; as soon as you cross the US border, you see signs shot up. That is misuse of firearms. I support the 2nd Amendment, but I don't support the blatant, widespread misuse of firearms and I don't see the NRA or other gun groups mounting credible remedies to their misuse. Without self-control, the trend is going to be government control.

Without hijacking this thread into some ridiculous Anti-NRA thesis... I found this:

"You will need to obtain and complete ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D Application/Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens)  to apply for the ATF permit.  ::) You may fax the ATF Form 6 NIA-5330.3D application to (304) 616-4554 for expedited processing.  

At least you made the attempt to be legal; while travelling through the states and National Parks, my opinion is keep the 18.5" scattergun well HIDDEN in your RV closet, unloaded if you want, but with instant access to shells.  If it's needed in a life-and-death -- you and yours will ultimately be ALIVE. 

Better to pay a fine and forfeit the gun after it did its job of protecting you.  (For me, keeping my family safe FAR outweighs any idiotic laws created by idiots.)  Who knows, your shotgun may even save the life of one of those anti-gun dolts! 

Obviously, I'm no attorney. But this is the US, we used to have the right to feel safe.  Have a great & safe trip.

I also found this rundown of the States' firearm laws:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

Remember, getting your firearm OUT of the US into Canada is another story.... those Canuck Border Agents can be tough.  If you want to make it easy, just stop in Billings, Montana and give your shotgun to me before you cross  ;) .

Pocket Rocket said:

It depends on your visa.

If you have a resident visa, you may purchase and carry any firearm you wish, subject to the same procedures and limitations as a U.S. citizen.

Otherwise, you may only purchase a rifle or shotgun, only for the purposes of hunting, and you must have a state-issued hunting license at the time of purchase.

BigSkyTrailerGuy said:
"You will need to obtain and complete ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D Application/Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens)  to apply for the ATF permit.  ::) You may fax the ATF Form 6 NIA-5330.3D application to (304) 616-4554 for expedited processing.  

That form is only necessary when bringing firearms into the country from Canada (or elsewhere).  It isn't necessary for purchasing them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom