Spark plug gap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgmilton

I recently purchased a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer with a Chev 454 engine. It has a breakerless distributor and the coil is mounted on the intake manifold. I had to replace the cap and rotor with the old style from the 80s. I need to find the correct spark plug gap and timing.
Thanks

An early 80s cap won't fit the distributor on a 90s engine. Spark plug gap should be on a sticker on the air cleaner lid.  I believe it is .045  If you changed the distributor to an early 80s HEI it won't work with the pcm, and you're going to have mucho problems. Timing should never have to be messed with.

Call your local Auto parts with the info as well as vehicle ID(VIN) and they will be able to tell you more then you need to know...

92GA said:
Timing should never have to be messed with.

Yes and no. Base timing on HEI can be set. There is a spout connector near the distributor that has to be disconnected to tell the E.C.U. that the setting will be the new base (I think 10 deg. btc). After setting the timing reconnect the spout and the E.C.U. will take it from there. If the motor has a C.P.S. and you don't set base timing it will set a cam crank correlation code and run bad on acceleration.
.045 should be good on the plug gap.

Is this an OBDII or OBDI system? In 1996 there were still truck chassis with OBDI. As said earlier, even though you may get it to run OK, it will still not interface with the computer with an older distributor. The consequences could be poor fuel economy, poor performance under heavy load, etc....

Back
Top Bottom