1st snowbird trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryBob

Moderator Emeritus
Our first snowbird trip from Minnesota to New Orleans has been nothing short of fantastic. The food is amazing... The weather is wonderful. Great to see Stan and Becky. (Parttymer) and wish them well in their travels back north. Couldn't ask for a better experience. Just thought I'd share... :)

Bob,
I'm Jealous...this winter has been too long. We had to stay for a new Grandbaby to be born otherwise we would have been to Mardi Gras. Next year is another story...Mardi Gras then on to the Keys for 2 weeks.  WooHoo!

We are also from Minnesota and hope to eventually travel to New Orleans.  We would love to hear about your travel experience and recommendations.  Thanks in advance for sharing.

Glad you had a good time.
Where'd you end up parking your rig?
Wish we'd thought ahead. We could have met you guys on our way out West.
Although, my husband did say he met a couple from MN in Lafayette, LA....That wasn't you guys, was it?

-Roni

Dverstra, we purposely avoided Mardi gras as it seemed to be a bit too much commotion for us. Have you been to Mardi Gras before? What?s it like for restaurant seating / reservations and getting into and out of the city? Now that I know my way around a bit, I wouldn?t cross this off in the future.

Blue Skies, I received a lot of helpful advice here when planning this trip. The more experienced New Orleans visitors here can give you some good insights, but here?s a few observations..
Staying north of the city in the  Mandeville / Slidell area is calmer, less expensive, and prettier surroundings than staying downtown. There is an RV park in the french quarter that looks OK but is very expensive. We?re staying in Fontainebleau state park that is less money for a weeks stay than 2 days at this RV park. You need to make reservations early as there are only 6 sites with sewer.
It?s a $3 toll across the pontchartrain bridge and 35 minutes into the french quarter. The first time I drove to the french quarter was a white knuckled experience. The streets are narrow, pedestrians are everywhere and finding parking is a challenge. But after getting your bearings, it becomes easy. Public parking is available toward the river on N. Peters / Decatur Street. A local told me to always use the legit public parking with a gate and a pay booth. Some places just have a small open lot with a sign, which I am told can get your car stolen.  We had to hit Bourbon Street but it?s crazy there no matter what day of the week or time it is. 20 minutes of that was enough for me. My wife is a planner, but there are so many excellent restaurants and things to do / see it?s almost an overkill of information. Plenty of locals and visitors here in the park with good suggestions.  There are also stores and good restaurants in the Mandeville area. We mixed our time between here and downtown. From the park, there is a paved bike  trail that will take you east or west into Mandeville or Slidell. I ride my bike every day to pick something up at a store, or just see the sights. For me, Nawlins is all about the food!

Roni ? Wasn?t us in Lafayette. We came down 55 from Memphis. I have seen quite a few MN folks down here. Not surprising given our extreme winter.

Bob
We are doing a Mardi Gras Rally with Fantasy RV Tours. They take care of all of the arrangements and bus us in to town. Not sure where we are staying, they take care of that. I figure that we will need the 2 weeks in the Keys to recover! 8)

dverstra said:
Bob
We are doing a Mardi Gras Rally with Fantasy RV Tours. They take care of all of the arrangements and bus us in to town. Not sure where we are staying, they take care of that. I figure that we will need the 2 weeks in the Keys to recover! 8)

Great! I'll check into that for the future.
I can't imagine a bus in the French quarter!
THAT's the way to do Mardi Gras!

Bob, glad to hear you got out of Minnesota. How long do you plan to be south, or do you have to be home soon ?  We plan to swing back to MN sometime in May. Enjoy.

I've got my routine down now. Work from 8 to about 4 on the computer and hit the forum between e-mails.
Unfortunately need to return sometime around the end of the month. Heard there was a bad sleet / ice storm in Mpls. recently. Not looking forward to returning in that weather.
Enjoy your extended stay Becks. May would be preferable for a return. As it stands, I'll need to re-winterize on our return.

Don't come back for awhile Bob.  6 to 10 inches coming our way starting Tues afternoon and temps aren't real encouraging that it will melt fast if we get that much.  It better be gone by end of month or you may see a mass exodus.  Enjoy your time down there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom