Which Hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2freespirits

Hello all,

I'm new here and this topic may have already been discussed but I am in a quandary. We have a 2004 RAM 3500 Quad Cab with a 6' box, and just bought our first fifth wheel RV a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star 33KSFB. So the question is what hitch do I need? Some tell me the Pullrite Superglide is the way to go, others say any slider will do while yesterday I was told I don't need a slider at all.

The king pin does come out a bit forward of the RV front but the RV is 100" wide.  Advice from you would be appreciated.

Another question is I need to replace the rear leaf springs on the truck. Should I go with stock springs with additional air bags or go with heavy duty springs?

Again, your wisdom is appreciated.

Rick

I've blown out a rear window on a short bed tow truck even with one of those new trick front caps. Spend the money on the superglide and only cry once.

I would get some type of slider system.  I've looked at some superslides, but you have to back under it almost straight on to get the 5er in the saddle.  Due to where I store my 5er, that is hard to do.  With a slider, you can hook up at almost any angle.  Ask for a demo of each at a dealer and they can show you what I mean.  It took my friend awhile to get used to hooking up with his superslide but they are nice in that he doesn't have to manually activate the slide when backing like I have to.

Have you looked at a Reese Sidewinder? It replaces your pinbox and moves the pivot point back 20". They also have a version with an air bag to reduce shock between 5th wheel and tow vehicle.

kjansen said:
I would get some type of slider system.  I've looked at some superslides, but you have to back under it almost straight on to get the 5er in the saddle. 
you do not have to be straight to hitch , the book I think says at least 15 degrees but i have hitch up with my superglide at well in to 60 degrees and 90 is not out of the question if you wanted to

Back
Top Bottom