Planning a camping trip for 2017 - obsessed already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigSkyTrailerGuy

The light show of the decade will happen in August 2017 all across the US - the great 2017 Total Solar Eclipse of the sun -  8) and I want one of the front row seats!  I'm already planning my 2 hour drive south to claim a piece of land exactly on the line of totality.

It's a little sick to be this obsessed over something that'll last for 2 mins and 20 seconds!  Once in a lifetime!

Anyone else planning?  After all, 2017 will be here in minutes.

Hi BigSkyTrailerGuy,

Nice ring to your name! I'm an amateur astronomer and haven't given much thought about that total solar eclipse yet but perhaps I should. Three is nothing like the excitement of a total eclipse of the Sun. I attended the one in Canada in 1972. We got clouded out (normal thing that happens to astronomers) but it cleared up for the diamond ring. The Annular eclipse that came through the midwest a few year back now, was right through my backyard, making it easy to view. I'll be retired by then so there shouldn't be anything stopping me.

Usually there are areas (one end of the line or the other) that have the most eclipse times. May I ask where you are located at and where you are going to view? I'm in north central Indiana. Will drive a ways for the best view.

Glad to see your post here. See also: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=3384.0  (where we have talked a little on astronomy)

Hi, CamperAL -  I'm in Montana, and I'll have to get down to either Rigby Idaho area or on the east side of the Tetons around Casper.

Check out this site for lots of juicy info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_21,_2017
or google map:  https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217459713149490209639.00046292e55ac361fc966&msa=0&dg=feature

Actually the hot spot (longest duration on the path) will be just south of you in Kentucky. Lucky Kentucky!

Hi BigSkyTrailerGuy,

Do you plan on doing any photography of the eclipse? I have both a refractor and reflector I could use with full filters. I might contact the local astronomy clubs and try to get myself invited to their site. Need to do a weather analysis for various areas, in order to try to find a site that has the better chance of not clouding. Out west is usually better.

The annular eclipse that ran though S. Carolina, we had to pull up stakes and move west along the route as the prime spot got clouded out. Luckly the road ran almost down the path so we were able to relocated and set up and see all of the eclipse.

One of the problems that eclipse goers have is people driving around stirring up dust near expensive equipment during these rare events (curiousity seekers). A spot of the beaten path (or road in this case) helps keep your observing site nice and free of dust.

I'm a video producer by trade, so I'm sure I won't be focused on the actual sun  8) (there will be plenty of that sort of photography elsewhere); I'll be more interested in videotaping earthlings' reactions during this bizarre and creepy event. 

Though I'm torn -- I'd also like to be flyfishing at the minutes of totality... see if that triggers a fish frenzy of some sort.  ???

So many ideas, so little eclipse!  :-\

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom