Surge protector in front of voltage regulator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil Hyde

I recently had occasion to purchase a TRC 50 amp voltage regulator.  Unlike some other models on the market, this one doesn't have any built-in surge or spike protection.

Being the expensive item that it is, I wish to protect the TRC voltage regulator from spikes. 

I thought I had read here that someone had used some kind of surge protector in line before the voltage regulator.  Perhaps even a home built something or other?

Thanks for any input...

The TRC 50 that I am familiar with is a surge protector. Its sole purpose is to protect your rig against surges and low voltage.

Pete

My TRC-50 is also a Surge Protector.

Putting the surge guard in front of the transformer will cause it to shut you down during a brown out even though the power is still good once boosted.. Thus the auto-former type voltage regulator goes first.

And far as I know all of them have spike protection.  Not only that but transformers are good at dealing with spikes.  Provided they used good insulation on the wires.

Can you post a link to the device (TRC-50) you have? 

Thanks for the replies.  To be clear, I'm not suggesting to use a "surge guard" (or similar product) in front of the regulator - for the reasons mentioned.  The protection that those provide is way too comprehensive for purpose which I intend (additional spike/surge protection for the regulator).

I have model 10175:

http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/voltage-regulator

John mentions that transformers are good at dealing with spikes.  Is this to say that it's unnecessary to protect a voltage regulator (transformer) from surge/spikes?

Back
Top Bottom