strength of lift mechanisms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2bRVguy

Hello  :  21March2014

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask a question of persons having an
engineering or design knowledge.  Of the many Hard Top, popup, (tent and hard sided)
type camping trailers, new or used, which has the strongest and most reliable lift mechanism?

Thank you.

Not sure you will get the exact answer you are looking for but I think many of these units use very similar mechanisms. Not too many of us have looked into the engineering side of these things but have simply repaired what was necessary when necessary.

During my camper days, my tent trailer had none of that to go wrong. But from what I have read, frayed/broken  steel cables caused by misaligned pulleys etc  caused some problems, other problems were self induced by the operators lack of understanding of how the systems work and making silly errors.

Thank you Stu,
In being the engineering sort of person, I can be quite patient in waiting for a knowledgeable and technical oriented person to read and respond to my post.  The devil is in the details, and I appreciate when a manufacturer creates a simple and highly reliable design.
Cordially,
2bRVguy

Again, not the answer you may want, but I know that trying to raise the top higher than needed may cause failure.  Extend just enough to get set up and raise and lower slowly.

jayco and Starcraft pop up tent camper guaranteed for life.  hard shells for Starcraft two year warranty.

Coleman's had the best lift system by far.  To bad their gone.    But a lot of the new campers are using their system now.      My experience with lifetime warranty is their not worth the paper their written on. Most have so much fine print. And require yearly inspections from certified dealers that its almost impossible to keep from voiding it somehow

robertusa123 said:
To bad their gone.

On the other hand, Coleman brand trailers have been built by several different manufacturers over the years and simply marketed under the Coleman brand name. Are they no longer being manufactured by anyone???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom