Medically speaking, any Carpal Tunnel sufferers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denmarc

A Readers Digest version of my problem:
I have for years had a problem my hands while driving.  My thumb and first three fingers would get a numbing sensation while driving during longer trips.  At that time, I would just shake it off and re-position my hands and that would work for a while.  The only other time it would bother me is when operating a chain saw, using a hammer, etc.  Not a big deal at the time.  Just a bit annoying.

Fast forward:
About a year ago I mentioned to my doctor that past problem seems to be getting a little worse.  He had me do a couple quick hand tests and gave me a preliminary diagnoses of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.  He also said I would need a comprehensive test to confirm.  Involving an EMG (whatever that is).  I asked how long before I need to do something about it.  Answer was another question.  Does it wake me up while sleeping, am I dropping things, pain when fingers are "thawing out"?  Yep.  The reason I mentioned it to him.  Except for the dropping of items.  No problem there yet.  But the waking me up while sleeping and the pain is more than annoying! And now I have this tingling sensation (like an electric current) going up my left arm toward my elbow.  The reason I mentioned it to him. 

Fast forward to present day:
Saw my new doc (my old one moved on to other endeavors) and mentioned the numbness in my hands is still getting worse.  My thumb and 3 fingers on my left hand are somewhat numb all the time now.  New doc signed me up for the EMG.  Can't get it done until early July.

Did I wait too long?  Should my doctors have acted sooner?  Should I have acted sooner?  Doing research, I find that permanent damage can take place.  Don't want that!  It wasn't a big deal or bothered me that much before.  Now it does.  Suggestions?   

Mark, EMG is Eelectromyography.

take a look >>>>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0uSpYd_Ics

EMG Electro Myocardio Gram (As best I can spell it)  Nerves in the body are something like wires in your RV... Over time the wire can weaken (i have had that happen 3 times in 9 years) the insulation can become worn (one of the 3) and connections can tarnish... Nerves... Much the same thing.. And this is the test for it... I've had several as part of a drug study and it confirmed I had Carpel Tunnel.

Did you wait too long..... Depends.. If you are a musician who needs fast and precise movements of your fingers, Flute, Guitar, Bango and man others.. Yes.. Otherwise, no. Get it fixed and it should not bother you any more.

I developed the first signs of carpal tunnel about 15 years ago when I was using a mouse many hours per day. I determined that it was using the mouse that caused the problem. My basic problem was I was leaving my hand on the mouse even when I wasn't using the mouse. So I stopped using the mouse with my right hand and started using the mouse with my left hand. After a month my right hand stopped hurting so I returned to using the mouse right handed. However I changed my style. I now remove my hand from the mouse when I am not using it. I have not had any problem since then.

Mark,
  I also suffer a bit from carpal tunnel syndrome.  A few months ago, I started experiencing similar symptoms and visited a neurologist. I also had an electomyelogram to diagnose and rule out related problems. It turns out that, although I do have mild carpal tunnel syndrome, I also, more seriously, suffer from a central cord bony impingement at around the c5 level, needing surgical correction (ACDF).( a small bony growth of the cervical vertebra #5 is pressing on my spinal cord; my symptoms will get worse) The fact that you've suffered these worsening symptoms for quite a while may not be indicative of permanent damage to nerves, but needs to be diagnosed. If your're lucky, either a lifestyle change and/or relatively minor outpatient surgical procedure will fix it. If, like me, it is discovered that your neurological problem has a different etiology than carpal tunnel syndrome, you may need the more extensive surgical fix that I face. It is often done on an outpatient basis though, also. Permanent nerve damage can occur with either problem; usually takes a while for that to happen. But, if your emg diagnoses carpal tunnel syndrome, sometimes weight loss, resting that wrist with a brace, and antiinflammatories (like tylenol, ibuprofen, naprosyn sodium, etc.) can relieve the symptoms.  Your symptoms sound pretty severe, though, and getting that emg will tell the dr what you need to do. I'm not a MD, but have researched the problem some and am not prescribing anything---just want to help.

Something that can help with your symptoms is a wrist brace. It will help keep you from bending your wrist and applying pressure to the nerve. An EMG will help determine where the problem is. I've had a few of them. The problem could be in your wrist, elbow, or spine. The nerve path runs from your spine through your elbow then the wrist. Bone or cartalidge can put pressure on the nerve. When you drive, for example, you place pressure on your elbow depending on how you rest your arm causing your hand to go numb. The EMG is completely painless and goes by quick. It takes longer for them to set it up than do the test. Get a wrist brace and pay closer attention to what you were doing and how you were positioned when you start to feel numbness. It will help them narrow it down. Yes you can have permanent nerve damage from it but that doesn't mean you do. It could be a bone spur that has gotten larger over time causing the symptoms to be more prevalent now. Take it easy and if it hurts don't do it unless you have to. For me, I have 7 bad disk, damage in the nerve canals of my elbows and wrist. I have to wait for the VA to decide when mine gets fixed so I'm a lot more careful in what I do. Good luck and as annoying as it is don't assume the worst, just take care of yourself.

Not anymore.  I suffered with that for years and mine was a lot worst than you described and surgery solved my problems.  I have had the surgery to both wrist and very satisfied witht the results. :)

I waited too long. I had CTS for years and just ignored it. Did try wrist braces and Ibuprofen which helped  a little bit but not much. Finally had the surgery on my left wrist 4 years ago. I still have numbness on the tips of the middle and index fingers. Wasn't happy so I waited on the right hand until thumb and 2 fingers were numb 2/3 of the way down. Finally got it done a year and a half ago after EMG showed Severe CTS. Good news, numbness is less, bad news is the numbness isn't gone. Doctor said nerve damage is probably permanent. Other good news is that there's no pain  if you have the surgery expect the pain to be gone immediately but expect a long recovery.

My advice, get the surgery done NOW.

Wendy

I suffered rom CTS also for over 10 years. During that period of time I used an Herb regiment to keep it under control to such time as I retired and could afford to have the surgery done. No ill effects in the use of my right hand that I had the surgery on. The Herb regiment that I used for the 10 years was 100mg B6 three times a day and 500mg Magnesium in the morning with the first B6. While using the Herbs I didn't have the pain waking me during the night even on nights that I'd run a chainsaw all day cutting fire wood.

Are you taking any medication?  The nerves running to your fingers pass through a tunnel in your wrist.  If you use your hands in the same manner for extended periods of time, your wrist may swell slightly putting pressure on the nerves, ie Carpal Tunnel.  Taking an anti-inflammatory can help reduce the inflammation and take pressure off the nerves.  Any of the ones that you can buy over the counter (OTC) will help, but be aware that they can cause stomach irritation.  Shorter acting, ibuprofen, have to taken more frequently but generally is not as irritating as the longer acting like Aleve.  Medications will help, along with braces, but will not cure the problem. Surgery, most likely will have to be done.

I have for years had a problem my hands while driving.  My thumb and first three fingers would get a numbing sensation while driving during longer trips.

Other problems but with tingling and numbness.  My physical therapist told me we should stop driving every hour, go outside and take a walk, and trade drivers if that's an option.  We're both doing much better now that we stop more frequently.  And we're finding some really interesting rest areas or such on our stops so there's an added benefit.

ArdraF

Many good replies.  Thank you all.  In answer to some of you...
The doc put me on Naproxen (500mg x 2 daily) which did greatly help the tingling sensation up my left arm.  But did absolutely nothing about the numbness in my hands and fingers. 

Wendy,
The numbness in my fingers was never localized to just the tips of my fingers.  Even from day one.  It always involved the whole area of the palm of my hands, thumb, and first three fingers.  Back in the day, it was just the fingers that would bother me.  As said, I would just shake it off and carry on with no problem.  But now I find myself fidgeting with paperwork, can't feel digging small items out of my pockets, handling small items in general, etc.

jmfl,
Tried the wrist brace for a while.  Couldn't sleep with it on.  Don't know why.  So it became a matter of do I wrestle with the brace or wake up with hand pain, wait for it to go away, re-position and go back to sleep?  I got use to the numbness during the waking hours.  I can't work with a wrist brace.  My job involves too much hand mobility.  I do a lot of pulling, lifting, pushing, and grasping in my job.  Items ranging from just a couple of ounces to well over 400 lbs. with the help of dollys and jacks.  Might be what worsened my problem to begin with.

AndraF,
Hard for me to do.  I drive truck for a living.  I'm also on a time sensitive route.  Can't do the breaks.  Makes sense but just not doable for me. 

To the others,
Thanks for all the help.  I was wondering about options such as endoscopic vs. open surgery, recovery times, aftercare, length of downtime before being able to work 100%, etc.

Truck driver - Carpal Tunnel - work-related/workman's comp ?

Never had palm numbness but my right middle finger is still slightly numb to the base and the others are numb on the tips.

The surgery itself was easy. But recovery was 6 months plus. I could do nothing with the operated on hand for a month then gradually got back use. Stupid things were difficult like pulling up your pants one-handed, cutting food, using a computer. Incision, less than an inch long at base of Palm, very slow to heal, the skin on your hands is thick. But as my orthopedic surgeon told me, IT'S NOT GOING TO GET BETTER. I really wish I had had the surgery years earlier.

Seriously, check into the workers comp option.

Good luck
Wendy

My husband had the surgery on both wrists 2 weeks ago.  He was told he would be off work for 2 weeks but one of the palm incisions is not healing very fast.  He is already doing most everything around the house as far as cooking and helping me with chores while I'm at work and getting by with little pain.  Driving is not a problem, but hand strength is a big issue.  He is a mechanic and should be able to go back to work next week but he will have to work smart.

Robin

Wendy said:
Truck driver - Carpal Tunnel - work-related/workman's comp ?
Never had palm numbness but my right middle finger is still slightly numb to the base and the others are numb on the tips. 

Seriously, check into the workers comp option.

Thought about the workers comp thing.  Was kind of thinking of it as a last resort.  I'm not the sort of guy who would like to sit on the couch all day doing nothing while my hand heals.  The thing with the palm of my hands is hard to explain.  The best way I can describe it is that it's not so much that the feeling isn't there, but more like when I move my fingers in just such a way with my wrist in various positions, it feels like a guitar string being plucked in the palm of my hand.  Almost like an electric shock.  Just that fast and intense.  Really gets my attention and makes me retract as if I stuck my finger in a light socket.  Hoping the EMG will help explain why.

And in reply to Robin,
I somewhat understand what your hubby is going through.  I was also a certified mechanic for years before I started driving truck.  Working on 31 years of truck driving now.  But I never put my tools down.  Best of luck to your husband and I hope he gets back to normal ASAP.  I am curious on what he based his decision on to have both hands done at the same time?  That question I am tossing around in my head now assuming the EMG confirms my suspicions.  I'm dead in the water with even the loss of one hand during the healing process.  Hence, my question of endoscopic vs. open surgery. 

Charles had endoscopic on both which requires a small incision in the palm of the hand and one on the wrist.  He was going to do one at a time and the Doctor talked him into both at once.
Reasons:
It would cut down on medical leave
It would save us on insurance deductable
He has a requirement of 6 rehab visits so doing one hand at a time would require 12 visits at 40 dollars each.
And finally he said it was such an easy surgery now there was no reason not to.

He had the surgery at 8 in the morning and was at his first rehab at 3 in the afternoon so they don't let you sit around too long.

We are very happy that both were done at once and we do not have to worry about it anymore.
He still has numbness and tingling in both hands but hopefully most of it will go away.  He waited 3 years to have the surgery and now is sorry that he waited.

Whatever your choice I hope you feel better soon!

Robin

Thanks Robin.  The reasons you mentioned are exactly the same reasons I would want the same.  I will definitely check into the endoscopic surgery in more detail.  It's not so much the money for the rehab visits as it is for me to just get back to work.  Sitting around with my numb finger in my nose is not my idea of having a good time.  :D

When I was diagnosed about 15 yeas ago doctor told me it would take about as much time to get strength back as I has suffered with the problem.  That means I have about 10 more years before I am fully back.  CTS is a easy surgery, takes about 2 hours start to finish.  You are in bandages for a week per hand, then the stitches come out.  The day after the doctor took the stitches out of my left hand I was on a plane to startup a new machine across the country.  There is some pain, usually can be managed with aspirin.  Do it ASAP the improvement in quality of life is worth the little bit of pain.

donn said:
When I was diagnosed about 15 yeas ago doctor told me it would take about as much time to get strength back as I has suffered with the problem.  That means I have about 10 more years before I am fully back.

That doesn't work for me.  I'm by myself and never know what each night entail.  One night might be a bunch of 2-3 lb. items that I would have to handle.  Then the next night might include a dozen 200-400 lb. engines to deliver.  Or maybe a pallet of anti-freeze (2600 lbs.) with the help of a pallet jack.  Am I going to be able to do it after a couple of weeks of healing? 

My DH had it done on March 4, so it has been just about 3 weeks.  He is doing most things, but he can't hit anything with his palms and has to remember not to try and push himself up off the couch with the palms and his hands bent at the wrist.  I don't think he's ready for work yet like the Doctor said he would be but I think he will have no problem going back to work after 4 weeks off.

The Doctor did tell us that if we did one at a time then DH would not have to be put under.  They would only deaden the arm.  I don't think he would have had any problem going back to work after 2 weeks if he had done one at a time so you might consider this.  That way you would always have one strong hand since you work alone.

We have been told by others that it will be around a year before he feels back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom