Medically speaking, any Carpal Tunnel sufferers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again, thank you Robin.  I will take your advice into consideration.  I have some thinking to do.  I do have a couple of months to think about it and some time for research.  It's not that I am being over cautious about the surgery.  It' more about the recovery and healing time for me. 

Regarding Workman's comp...

If the condition is a result of work, by all means use Workman's comp. It is insurance that has been purchased for you, it is part of your compensation package and thus you have earned it.. Consider it a paid sort of vacation and use it.. Do not complain.

NOTE: The insurance has already been paid for, Insurance companies rely on the fact that some folks will not use their benefits even though they are entitled to them..  So do not feed the already overweight elephant (insurance company).

denmarc said:
Can't get it done until early July.

Is that due to your schedule or your health plan? Seems an awful long time to have wait and endure the pain.

Two springs ago I spent about 4 months with what I thought was CTS. Most of that time I was dry camping - so had those type of chores such as working w/my portable genset several times a day. Real grief every day for me.

The wrist braces helped - and I recommend finding ones that "do" work because during the night we can really exacerbate the problem quit a bit. I changed twice to find ones that would work for me.

Exercises helped as well. It was interesting to note that most hand movement such as gripping don't pull the nerves going through the CT at all. Whereas moving the fingers in the opposite way does move and exercise those nerves. For example, placing your fingers tips on the edge of a table and gently pressing down does stretch those nerves through the tunnel. That did help me a lot. During my days I would also just place the finger tips of one hand in the palm of the other - and press down to bend that wrist in the opposite direction than normal gripping. Plus, would gently pull my thumb in the opposite direction of normal gripping to stretch those nerves.

Anyway, when I returned to Sacto and saw my Kaiser doctor he set up the EMG test - two days later. Turns out I didn't have CTS after all -- or, the exercises may have warded it off. The test did find a nerve in my left elbow that was causing a problem. Anyway, continued exercising and pain pills made me well again in another several weeks.

Good luck with the problem -- I "know" how bad a day is with really bad wrist pain. 

I had carpal tunnel syndrome for 10+ years from using a mouse during the day at work and then coming home and spending more time online.  It also bothered me riding a bike, and at one point you could easily recognize me as the lady who kept shaking her right hand as she rode her bike to try to wake it up from the tingling. 

I went through the test and wore a brace at night, which helped, but just a small amount.  Last summer I developed a trigger finger on the other hand, so saw a hand surgeon.  He gave me a shot of cortisone in my right wrist for the carpal tunnel syndrome and on the left middle finger for the trigger finger.  He said since I had the carpal tunnel syndrome for so long, it would likely come back within a few months.  I had two partially numb hands for several hours.

Well, I was amazed!  Both problems were immediately cured and neither has come back after 6 months.  I guess they like you to try all the other options before cortisone and like you to try that before surgery.  I am very glad I gave this surgeon the chance and that it worked, at least for me.  I am no longer working full-time so hopefully am not putting so much stress on my hand.

I had CTS in both hands back in the 90's.  I ended up having the surgery on both hands, (one at a time), and I don't regret it one bit.  Haven't had the CTS problem since (although I am experiencing some trigger finger issues on my left hand right now.  That comes and goes.). 
My left hand was no problem, I hardly use it anyway being right handed.  However, before you get your primary hand done (in my case, the right hand), you'll want to get some time practicing not using it.  You'd be surprised how difficult some activities are with your "other" hand.  I won't get graphic here, but certain personal hygiene functions can be awkward and difficult with your primary hand unavailable.  Tape it up or wear a ski mitten on it for a few days, and you'll discover what post-surgery would be like. 
Hopefully the shots will do it for you and you won't need the surgery, but if you do end up under the knife, just know that excellent long term results are possible.  I had my surgery over 20 years ago.

Just now starting to get caught up.  Please forgive me.  A lot going on at work involving me being a trainer and the hiring of a new employee.  Kind of complicated.  Won't bore you all.

Bob Buchanan said:
Good luck with the problem -- I "know" how bad a day is with really bad wrist pain. 

Waiting until July was not what I wanted either.  When I got the call from the Neurology dept. in response to the referral by my doctor and was told that "we are quite busy right now" but had a cancellation the first week of July, I asked her if she was kidding.  She said no.  I told her I might cut my numb fingers off well before then!  All she could say was "Sorry". 

Tried the wrist brace thing once.  Made no difference at all.  Not even a dent in relief during the night.  What I can't figure out is why my left hand (NOT my primary hand) is twice as bad as my right.  I'm right handed in everything.  A little numbness in the same fingers and thumb on the right hand.  But not near as severe as my left hand.  I have no wrist pain at all in either wrist.  Makes no sense to me.

JudyJB said:
He gave me a shot of cortisone in my right wrist for the carpal tunnel syndrome and on the left middle finger for the trigger finger.  He said since I had the carpal tunnel syndrome for so long, it would likely come back within a few months.  I had two partially numb hands for several hours.

Appreciate the input.  My problem entails much more than just a couple of thumbs.  I am aware of Cortisone shots.  Had one once before in a toe joint.  Thought I was going to get up off the chair and beat the doc and the nurse holding me down with a spent syringe!  I would have much rather have given birth!  (Just kidding).  ;D  With all the fingers and thumbs involved, as well as both palms, and a sensation up my left arm up to the elbow that the Naproxin seems to have helped, I am thinking my CTS (if confirmed) may be a bit more severe.  Hoping the EMG will give me the answer I need.

John From Detroit said:
Regarding Workman's comp...

If the condition is a result of work, by all means use Workman's comp. It is insurance that has been purchased for you, it is part of your compensation package and thus you have earned it.

Thought about this subject a lot.  As stated before, I would rather work and bring home the bacon.  I also enjoy my job when going well.  Better weather, meaning better days, are coming and I enjoy it even more.  The timing sucks!  But, you seem to be correct.  I never had a problem with my hands until a year or so after I got this job (almost 3 years ago).  It's been getting to the point where I may need to do something about it.
I've never been in this situation.  Not sure how to act.

I hope my replies are a decent update.  I'm not sure if I can wait until July for the EMG test.  And then, who knows how long until I can get the surgery and get back into the life I am living now if CTS is confirmed?
I'm having a hard time with this.  First surgery ever (I'm not concerned, just chicken).  But this may need to be done.  Just trying to make sure the right decisions are made.     

I've been suffering with pain in my arms, hands, and feet (tingling sensation, pain, numbness, and so forth). My primary care doctor at the VA just put me on vitamin B12 earlier this week. After three 1,000 mg doses (1 per day for 3 days) I have noticed a significant improvement in the tingling/electric shock symptoms. I am though quite certain that my malady is not tied to CTS, but is more a degenerative thing in my joints.

Oscar Mike said:
I've been suffering with pain in my arms, hands, and feet (tingling sensation, pain, numbness, and so forth). My primary care doctor at the VA just put me on vitamin B12 earlier this week. After three 1,000 mg doses (1 per day for 3 days) I have noticed a significant improvement in the tingling/electric shock symptoms. I am though quite certain that my malady is not tied to CTS, but is more a degenerative thing in my joints.

Not sure this equates, but I have been taking 100 mgs of B12 in a multi-vitamin for 2 years.  I'm not feeling it.

denmarc said:
Not sure this equates, but I have been taking 100 mgs of B12 in a multi-vitamin for 2 years.  I'm not feeling it.

I might be hoping for some relief more than the B12 is supplying (placebo effect)...time will tell.

Oscar Mike said:
I might be hoping for some relief more than the B12 is supplying (placebo effect)...time will tell.

Don't get wrong...MORE POWER TO YA!  If it works, you are a step above me.  Nothing has worked for me so far.  I don't want to wait for July to roll around just to find out how many more months I might have to wait to get it fixed.  And then have to go through the healing process, then rehab...
But, that is the quickest they can get me in.  And that date was due to a cancellation!

Maybe I can retire about the same time and be done with it.    ;)

Old thread, I know.  Since starting the thread way back when, a lot has happened.  Had all the tests done and had the surgery on one hand middle of last month.  Getting the other hand done next week.
Question I have is I have been having a little trouble with finger joint stiffness since the surgery.  All the thumb joints being the worse.  A bit painful and almost more annoying than the reasons I went through all this crap in the first place.  Asked the doc about it during the past couple of weeks and was told it's normal.  I understand about the nerves needing time to regenerate and all that. So I expected the numbness to take considerably more time to improve.  But the joint pain was not expected.

Am I expecting too much, too soon?  I'm just now able to do most things I couldn't do just after the first surgery.  That hand doesn't wake me up while sleeping anymore.  In a few days, I will be back to square one again.  Is the joint pain the price? 

I did broken wrist exercises/rehab at home with good results.

Here are several YouTube ideas that may be of interest to you.  Takes a while to restore ligaments and muscles back in shape.

>>>>  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carpal+tunnel+exercises

Also post op >>>>  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=post+operation+carpal+tunnel+exercises

I also used one of those squeezable rubber thingies to build up strength.
  Give it s shot.

Must have missed this thread.. I do have Carpel Tunnel, confirmed by an EMG..

Also Neuropathy (Diabetic) 50 percent impairment of the nerves.

I have nothing more to offer other than this: Since I now use multiple mice, each diferent, and multiple keyboards (likewise) it is not as bad as it was.. Seems the different positions help.

My DW had laparoscopic surgery on both wrists about 15 years ago and has had no problems since.  The surgery was simple and only too a few minutes.  Her favorite part of it was me being her slave-monkey for the next few weeks.  If the surgery is offered she highly recommends it.

I'd find another dr/tester. The test is simple and I'd not wait six months to take it. I was diagnosed, tested and operated on in a period of less than a week. It is very unlikely to get better on its own and use can exacerbate the problem.

Ernie

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing the post-op exercises. That's where the finger joint pain comes in. The first week after was bad. My fingers all but locked right up and it hurt like hell getting them to move at all. Not too bad now almost a month later. But the pain in the joint at the base of my thumb developed afterwards. And I get another stabbing pain right in the middle of the palm. Quite annoying. Just wondered if anyone else experienced the same.

The surgery itself was a piece of cake. In and out of the OR in about 20 minutes. Did have a little excitement as the doc began to make the incision. I damn near yanked my hand out from under the knife. He looked at me with this surprised look on his face and asked if I felt that. I said "HELL YES!" I guess he didn't get the memo that pain killers work slow on me. Some not at all. I thought I made that clear to everyone. 

I have pain at the base of both thumbs but the ortho guy says it's arthritis, not anything related to the CTS.

After months of being on the Vitamin B12 supplement I can say there is a difference in my symptoms, the severity of the pain has lessened. I was very hopeful that the vitamin supplements that my Doctor prescribed would show a significant improvement, but I'll take what I can get. 

Oscar Mike said:
After months of being on the Vitamin B12 supplement I can say there is a difference in my symptoms, the severity of the pain has lessened. I was very hopeful that the vitamin supplements that my Doctor prescribed would show a significant improvement, but I'll take what I can get.

What dosage of B12 are you taking? Curious if the amount is anything close to what's in the multivitamin I take every morning?

Back
Top Bottom