Full-timer, but may have to give it up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davem1958

I bought my first RV last December, and lived happily full-timing in middle Georgia until August.? I'm not retired, or even close, but my jobs tend to be short contracts, so I thought the RV would work out well.? Then I got an offer to move to Fairmont, West Virginia, which I accepted.? Now that I'm here, I'm finding that RVing "up north" is somewhat problematic.? For example,

• All the state parks have a 30' limit, I'm in a 35' Holiday Rambler
  • Most of the private parks close for the winter
  • The nearest Holiday Rambler dealer is in Pennsylvania
  • The one park that does not close is 7 miles from civilization, and I think the owner is trying to sell it
  • I don't get cell phone coverage in this park (Wilderness Waterpark, near Clarksburg)
  • I don't expect the snow plows will come down far enough for me to get to work
  • I can't get high speed internet at any price, expect perhaps with a Hughes satellite

Bottom line, I'm planning to rent a place at least for the winter.? The question I have is, what to do with my RV???? It's a 2006 gas HR Vacationer, 35 SBD.

I could store it
I could sell it
I could take it to a dealer and let them rent it out

Any suggestions welcome!

Dave

Store it.  You are moving from a fulltime RV use to a vacation RV use.  A lot of folks use RVs that way, honest.  ;D

Sell it and you will take a heavy hit on that first year depreciation.  If you have financed the rig, you may even have a loan balance higher than the depreciated wholesale price you will get.

Rent it and you let all the clowns in the world play with your toy and a dealer has little incentive to maintain it since it is not his property.

I'm with Carl.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation.  I retired but flunked retirement 101 and am working part time in upstate NY.

I considered bring the RV up here to live in while here but decided that was way to hard.  I'm renting a house for slightly less than it would cost to stay in the close by rv park - if they were open when I needed them & they aren't.  Not to mention the diesel cost to get it here and back.

People on the forum have lived in a rv through NE winters but it's basically a full time job to survive.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom