Tile Floor Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob.n.Carolyn

Carolyn is insisting on replacing our lime green shag carpet (even though it goes great with the lava lamps) in the coach.  Go figure women.

Anyway, she wants front to back tile.  We found a carpet and tile shop that has a lot of experience installing in motorhomes.  He is recommending DuraCeramic, rather than the porcelain tile I wanted, due to the weight difference.  (I suspect that part of his recommendation is because it is also way easier to install).

We have a 2003 40' Monaco on a two-axle Roadmaster chassis.  Anyone have an opinion as to whether replacing the current carpet and kitchen tile would be too much of a weight gain for this chassis?  The estimate is for around 200 square feet of tile total.

(OK: Carolyn's making me tell you that we don't really have lime green carpet - or lava lamps, for that matter. ;D

We also have a Monaco with factory-installed tile from the front door to the bedroom (I still like carpet around the bed).  They put an extra layer of plywood down before laying the tile, the purpose of which was make sure the tile was evenly flat and to avoid cracks.  We also had porcelain tile which we love because the color goes all the way through.  With at least some other kinds of tile you can drop something sharp and it makes a gouge which is white and is more obvious.  This doesn't happen with porcelain because of the consistent color.  Also, make sure you get a really good grout sealing.  We've had grease and red wine on it without permanent staining.

It's good that the person you've spoken with has done RV floors before because it needs to be done right.  Remember this is a house that moves down a highway so there's a lot of jostling that doesn't happen with a house.

ArdraF

Hey guys I have a suggestion that may or may not work that I was considering in my possible next project.
There are these peel and stick tiles that are very good made by Armstrong that can also be grouted, it may sound stupid at first but I did them in one of the bathrooms in my house and let me tell you not only do they look great, at first glance our friends and family thought It was real tile until of course you step on it and even then they don't believe it.
If that's a thought, let me know I can send you pics

tile weighs from 5 pounds per square foot- up
don't forget the grout, and thinset, and maybe underlayment
all this is fine, but if you are close to maxing out your ccc- it's your call

Back
Top Bottom