Ban cell phones in restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time...

We skipped lunch today, and decided to stop for a light dinner at a local eatery. The accoustics in this place are such that any noise bounces off the walls and floor. The guy at the nearest table decides to talk loudly about nothing on his cell phone. I don't care to listen to his conversation, but have little choice. Visual cues (stares) don't work, but I figure he'll shut up when his food arrives. Not so, and he continues yacking at high volume. Some time soon he's going to complain (loudly) that his food is cold.

Why can't folks have the courtesy to conduct their phone conversations outside?

What?  I can't hear you.  I've got a banana in my ear! ;D  Old joke, but that often comes to mind when I hear someone talking on a cell phone like that.  Makes me want to blow one of those portable air horns or some other loud noise maker.

I would have called the restaurant manager over and told him about the problem. If he didn't do anything about the problem I would have been out the door. I won't put up with that crap. Complaining about it on a forum is really a useless way to deal with the problem.

SeilerBird said:
Complaining about it on a forum is really a useless way to deal with the problem.

and here I thought that was exactly what the Shade Tree message board was designed to do...air your thoughts...  :-X

And to the OP, I always take my conversations outside as the phone starts ringing. I don't want to know your business and you don' t need to know mine. Etiquette, especially electronic, is quite scarce these days.

skyking4ar2 said:
and here I thought that was exactly what the Shade Tree message board was designed to do...air your thoughts...  :-X
Yes it is, however airing your thoughts on a subject like this is pretty pointless. You aren't going to connect with the person who offended and I really doubt it will change anyone's bad habits.

[quote author=SeilerBird]You aren't going to connect with the person who offended ...[/quote]

Who said I was trying to connect with the offender via this forum? I see lots of what you refer to as "pointless" discussions here, but don't object to them.

I like to crowd their space and listen with interest. Ultimately they'll stop and demand some privacy. UUUMMMM, nooooo, you're in PUBLIC!
TNX to Ron White.

Bill

I always ask them to put on the speaker. So everybody to is forced to listen to half the conversation, can now here both sides. And when everyone in the restaurant agrees loudly, they usually get the message, and hangup or go outside.

http://www.jammerfromchina.com/  This would help..not that I would ever use it ...it's illegal ya know to use one of these...just sayin..

Barb said:
I always ask them to put on the speaker. So everybody to is forced to listen to half the conversation, can now here both sides. And when everyone in the restaurant agrees loudly, they usually get the message, and hangup or go outside.

That's golden advice Barb!!!! Two thumbs up!

I agree cell phones and texting have really gotten out of hand. I won't take mine into restaurants, I usually leave it in the truck. like the OP I find them rude and irritating and lets face it folks none of you are that important you need to answer the phone every time it rings. I always remember one time at the zoo the mom was so busy talking and texting her son just walked form exhibit to exhibit with no interaction from the mom- but hey she at least could tell everyone she was at the zoo. what a good mom LOL.

I think it's pretty funny; folks going out with folks only to talk with other folks than the folks they came with. I have been a victim of the cell phone call. The one that irritates me the most is the guy behind the parts counter who will get on the phone while a paying customer stands and waits at the counter. Or a breakfast/dinner/supper partner/guest who will take a cell phone call during our meal. I personally make it point to not take a call during a meeting/social engagement...that is unless I am expecting a call. Then protocol requires that I excuse myself to take the call.

One day in a local grocery store a lady was talking at seemingly the top of her voice range. Very annoying.

I can hardly wait for the air rage that results if the FAA allows cell calls on airplanes. Personally, an airline's policy on cell calls would determine who gets my business.

SeilerBird said:
Complaining about it on a forum is really a useless way to deal with the problem.

In the future we should PM you before posting to make sure our posts will be okay with you.

Not really sure this discussion is pointless in this forum. RV'ers are certainly not immune to bad manners, and if everyone is made aware of how inconsiderate it is to use their phone near others, whether that is a restaurant, Walmart, or walking down the sidewalk, maybe they simply wouldn't do it and the rest of us would be winners. Education is the best cure for ignorance.

First I agree that this forum topic is for discussing anything. I also agree that public cell phone use or overuse has gotten out of hand. As a former cashier and a current tax preparer I find that customers will have private conversations right in front of my while I am trying to handle their business. That is extremely annoying. On the other hand I can get a good idea of whether the customer is trying to fraud the irs by listening. It has happened several times this year. "Get your dad on the phone." by someone who is claiming head of household and has stated that she has no contact with childs father is one true example. I guess we will have to take the bad with the good as it is in everything else.

Yes, I look at diners and see each one is talking to someone else on a phone.  to me that is totally rude. 
I know in our theaters they really are taking a proactive approach to cellphone usage and will kick people out.
It sure has made it a more enjoyable experience.  I expect someone to come up with the idea of cellphone
free restaurants one day, think they will be a big hit.

Etiquette rarely has meaning anymore, we live in an increasingly graceless world. One can try to maintain a graceful passage through this life and be mindful of our immediate and global environment. Unfortunately, our tendency to breed despite future implications has led to an exponentially growing human overpopulation of the earth with resultant cultural changes secondary to increasingly serious environmental modifications/impacts. (how's that for a run-on sentence) As we grow more and more inurred to our neighbors' suffering while thinking only of ourselves and ours, rudeness is, perhaps, the first noticeable result. It's a compex issue, but reflects the nearness of Orwell's "1984".
    I'm not all "bah-humbug"; I still see the beauties of the natural and manufactured world;  the frequent kind, thoughtful, and even loving gestures we make, and evidence of inspired thought. The possibilities of mindful awareness keep me hoping for the best and hoping chlidren will learn to be responsible to, not just themselves, but the world.
    It's easy to say "blah-blah-blah" to all this, but, increasingly, the cell phones come out at inconsiderate moments.

[quote author=Oscar Mike]The one that irritates me the most is the guy behind the parts counter who will get on the phone while a paying customer stands and waits at the counter.[/quote]

It's another pet peeve of mine, and not just at the parts counter. Similarly, if someone puts me on hold to answer another call, especially after I've waited a long time to talk to them.

I personally make it point to not take a call during a meeting/social engagement...

I consciously turn the ringer down on my phone in those situations. If I forget, and the phone rings, I don't answer and hit the ringer volume. If it's important, they can leave a voicemail.

I've occasionally received comments that someone "knew" I was on the phone, and was upset because I didn't interrupt my call to answer them. Eh .. I was on an international &/or important call, so why would I interrupt it for something that's likely trivial  ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom