1981 Dodge Country Squire Motorhome Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreeBirdForever

Hello everyone!

First post here, and if this is in the wrong place feel free to let me know or move it (apologies in advance!)

I just purchased a 1981 Dodge Motorhome seen here (Attached)

It drove pretty well during the test drive, but when we started to drive it home, we noticed it was driving rough. So we pulled over, let it rest awhile, and then started up again. We ended up doing this 3 times until we finally gave up and left it on the side of the road until morning when we can figure something out.

My question is...any idea what could be going on? Are these model RV's known to have an issue? I know its ancient, but the listing for it said the following:

Dodge motor home like new tires, new water pump, new carbetator, new transmission,new tub, new exterior lights.

If its a new transmission, could that still be the issue? The Engine? Really disappointed we spent good money on this only to have it die on the way home.

Cheers,

FBF

Attachments

• motorhome1.jpg
    motorhome1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Motorhome2.jpg
    Motorhome2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 45
I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it. In "driving rough" you don't mention if it was the engine wanting to die, or an intermittent surge like a clutch engaging/disengaging, or several other possible symptoms. It could be bad gasoline, or it could be that the "new water pump, new carbetator, new transmission," wasn't as thorough as it might be, or those "like new tires" might be out of round, or an axle bent. Maybe someone else can read between the lines, but for me need a more complete description of the symptoms, such as noises, jerkiness or not, etc.

By the way, those "like new tires" may be out of date, regardless of appearance -- it would be good to check the date code on each tire, to be sure. The Library link above has an article on how to do that.

Rough isn't descriptive enough.
Rough at speed?
OK slow?
Smooth coasting, or rough no matter what?
Did rough get worse if you gave it more gas, maybe even cutting out?
Did rough go up and down with engine speed?
Did rough go up and down with road speed?
All of these little details allow elimination of entire components of the drive train. 

I wanna say check fuel filter, but it could be a drive shaft U-joint.
Bill

This is just a tip and probably has nothing to do with your current problem.
I recommend that you pick up a spare ballast resistor for your old Dodge and keep it on board. They are inexpensive and they fail without warning. Classic case of, "It was running fine when I shut it off!". Simple to install, 1 or 2 small bolts and 2 wires or a plug. Doesn't even need to be bolt back in, good to know in the rain. Just secure it somehow, so it's not dangling and rattling.
Symptom of a bad one, engine ran fine when shut off, engine cranks fine, doesn't even kick....until maybe when you release the key.

Bill

Possibilities of running rough:
1. If it has been sitting for a while, check inside the air cleaner to make sure varmints aren't nesting there. Make sure filter is ok.
2. Fuel could be bad or fuel filter could be dirty.
3. Plugs, wires, distributor cap could need replacing. Spray with WD40 when running rough to see if it clears up. If so, replace. Also, coil.
These are just a couple quick, easy things to check and as stated above, get a ballast resistor to carry as a spare.
Good Luck and let us know what you discover.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will keep you all posted. We're headed out soon to go figure out what the heck is going on.

Cheers!

FBF

Driving rough? like a shake? We had a cube van that had a locked up caliper on it and after 5 minutes on the road it got hot and shook the teeth out of your head.

We got it to the shop this morning. And OH BOY. The "new" transmission was actually a shoddy rebuilt transmission, dragging junk and stuff into the air filter and who knows where else. $1500 dollars later, we're having them do a proper rebuild on the transmission, and do a once over before we take the RV to Arkansas for a renaissance festival this weekend.

Will keep you updated. I would like to post a WIP thread for our modifications, is there a place to do that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom