Really weird computer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have been depending on the cloud for many years without any problem at all. On Saturday I decided to plan out the itinerary for my upcoming trip to California in May. So I created a Google map and placed all the markers and drew out the route. Then I created a Calendar showing the places I was going on the dates I would be there. Then I created a spreadsheet listing the locations of my stops and the mileage. I spent most of the day working on this switching between the three applications. All of which feature automatic saves. I can find the docs listed in my History but when I try and access them it tells me I do not have permission to look at them. Huh?

So my first thought was obviously Google had a hiccup in one of their backup servers. I searched Google news and there was no mention of a meltdown at Google.

I was also running an ad on Craigslist to sell my scooter. I sold it real quickly and went to CL and deleted the ad. The phone calls and texts stopped. Then Sunday I started getting calls and letters about the scooter and I was thinking they were seeing the ad in a cached browser. I got so many contacts I finally went back to CL and discovered that the ad was magically undeleted. So I deleted it again and the calls stopped. So much for the Google server theory.

It took me about 2 hours to recreate the missing documents. considering how much time and money the cloud saves me I can't get too upset, but I am damn curious as to what the heck happened.

No I did not install anything new and I did not visit any dodgy websites. Wacky. And I don't drink or do drugs so I was not wasted.

You do know MURPHY's Law right... If you did not yesterday, you do today.

Good plan on maps and such is BACK IT UP, BACK IT UP, said the computer trainer it's good on the cloud but things can go wrong there, Also on the hard drive stuff can just vanish so keep backups on hand so your data is there.

(You can sing that. Tune is a song called No Quarter,,, Juanita Coulson I think is the artistist who does No Quarter.).
(I once carried her books by the way).

True Story... One broadway play has a rather large number of lights that are turned on and off by a computer.. So the programmer made backups.. Several of them There were back up files on the HD itself, There were back up discs in the theater vault, the manager's desk the light techicnans's desk and assorted other places.

He took a hard copy of the listing home with him

And brought it back and typed it in cause all the other backups got trashed somehow.

There is no way to back up a Google map offline. And in all the years of cloud computing I have done this is my first problem. It only took me two hours to correct it so it isn't a big deal. I am just blown away that I can't explain it and apparently no one else can either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom